By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN's hands on Mario Kart

superchunk said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Uhm... No matter how good the game looks, it still has "snaking" which ruins the game play for me.

Did you actually read the article? Snaking is history. The new power slide button feature apparently makes snaking a thing of last gen.

The IGN article didn't say snaking was gone, they said it was easier to do, so at least maybe it will be a bit more even. The only thing that's changed is that when you slide it charges up automatically instead of needing to move the control stick back and forth to charge the boost. So you can still slide through the entire track getting boost after boost, you just don't have to work so hard to do it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

snaking was easy anyway.

I like Bacon said:
snaking was easy anyway.

True. But my girlfriend, amongst many other casual players that do not have time to learn that stuff, will never want to play the game with people that do it. I do know how, but it takes away from thee unpredictable fun of the game. The game becomes more like Ridge Racer and Juiced (a stripped down version) than anything fun.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST GAME OF THIS GEN (ALONG WITH SMG, SSBB, MP3, & LOZ)

THANK GOD for the controls....... same as SSBB... FTW.

I don't want a signature.

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
superchunk said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Uhm... No matter how good the game looks, it still has "snaking" which ruins the game play for me.

Did you actually read the article? Snaking is history. The new power slide button feature apparently makes snaking a thing of last gen.

The IGN article didn't say snaking was gone, they said it was easier to do, so at least maybe it will be a bit more even. The only thing that's changed is that when you slide it charges up automatically instead of needing to move the control stick back and forth to charge the boost. So you can still slide through the entire track getting boost after boost, you just don't have to work so hard to do it.

From the article:

"Of course, the question of "snaking" came up, whether multiplayer games are going to boil down to what's happened with Mario Kart DS: players simply powerdrifting on every possible straightaway as rapidly as possible. Well, with the new powersliding mechanic it makes it difficult for quick fingers to get more boosts than the racers with slower fingers. So perhaps this is Nintendo's way of combating the awkward "love it/hate it" snaking mechanic."

Where does it say it is easier to do?  To me this means snaking is a mute point or non-effective as you have to actually hold the button to get a boost built up and you can't get anything for just quickly hitting B. I guess we'll have to play it to see the difference.

Possible eliminating of snaking is good in my eyes. If the game has snaking, I won't buy it. If it doesn't, I'll look into getting it.

I'm too busy salivating over Brawl to pay a lot of attention to Mario Kart, but the times they are a-changin'.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

After Brawl this is my most anticipated game of the year.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Has Gamespot done an article comparing the graphics in MK:Wii to the graphics in MK64 yet? I'm guessing that there won't be any appreciable difference noted.