By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Xbox One buyers REALLY paying $100 more for weaker hardware?

Daddo Splat said:
I bought both this gen, multiplat games will go where the run best PS4 exclusives will always be why I buy both.

If the cloud for MS ever helps with making games better looking running smoother all the above then that could get me back to chasing achievements more then trophies.

I'm with ya.  Last gen, the PS3 was mostly for exclusives (with a couple of exceptions--Dead Space and Final Fantasy) while the 360 was my multi-plat/M$ exclusive console.  I've probably got a couple hundred retail games alone.

This gen, I'm gonna get both but I think the PS4 will be my go to fore multi-plats and the Xbox One will just be for console exclusives/exclusives.  The Wii U will be a wild card.

Since we have you here, what is your take on the non-gaming functions of both the PS4 an Xbox One? 

Around the Network
vivster said:
walsufnir said:
vivster said:

I always wondered what's actually inside. I mean bigger case for less hardware? There must be extra receptacles for the secret sauce.

Which less hardware? It's all on a die, you won't see the cu's onboard... Their board-design is just way more pc-like, unlike PS4. And in their first iteration of retail hardware for the one I think it's good to play safe considering the RROD-disaster...

Last time I checked PSUs count as hardware. And yes the die is the same size but it shouldn't get as hot as the PS4's and as such would need less cooling. Cooling being one of the biggest space occupiers.

PS4 isn't overheating(as one think it would with such a small system) so either the X1 likes it really really cool or there are some magic parts in there that nobody knows of. Or air.

it gets especially hot because of the edram. Like I said, it is way more conservative and more like a pc-board. And there were disassemblies of the board, you can easily find them on the internet and look for it for yourself.

"Maybe Xbox One developers will close the gap",

^^^^^^^^, sorry but this is not a problem of code optimization, the console is weaker cause its hardware, xbone will never catchup the PS4, MS messed up for good on the specifications.

petroleo said:
"Maybe Xbox One developers will close the gap",

^^^^^^^^, sorry but this is not a problem of code optimization, the console is weaker cause its hardware, xbone will never catchup the PS4, MS messed up for good on the specifications.

Good to know!

Its all about the games. Right now the X1 has better games. Are those games worth $100 more? Probably not.

The Xbox One DOES have more innovative hardware and software features ,meaning that its potential to deliver a wider variety of quality games is greater than the PS4's. But it needs to actually prove this, especially as it will likely always be more expensive. Until it does so, it is going to struggle to demonstrate the extra cost is worth it.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

The Xbox One has (or had, considering the recent pricecut) just the same problem that the PS3 initially had:
Consumers considered it to be overpriced and didn't buy it, either because they thought it wasn't worth the money or because they considered a rival's product to be the better deal.

One can easily argue that the Xbox One and the PS3 were not really overpriced, as even with the high initial pricetag, Sony for example was selling the PS3 at a huge loss, so from an economic point of view it was actually clearly underpriced.

But in both cases, the reason that customers considered the consoles too expensive and didn't buy them (despite manufacturing costs perfectly justifying their price tag) was that the companies were intentionally driving up manufacturing costs by forcing expensive features on the customers that the majority of these were not even interested in, for the sake of giving their console a unique feature and/or pushing other products from the same company. In the case of the PS3, that was BluRay-drives, in the case of Xbox One, it's Kinect and the TV-pass-through features.

Having a bigger case that requires more plastic, an external power supply etc. is nice I guess. But many gamers purchase a video game console simply for it's capability to play games and thus base their decision mainly on a console's price/gaming performance ratio.

There is no contradiction between "paying $100 more for weaker hardware" and "paying $100 more for more stuff in the box". So it's not either one or the other - some people will think "I want a video game console for gaming, not some media-center-like device that can also do gaming. So why should I pay $100 more for a console that currently delivers only about half the graphics throughput?" and buy a PS4. Others might think "For just $100 more, I get additional features that might turn out to be useful, and personally I don't see a huge difference in graphics anyway. In comparison to my Wii, anything looks nice, anyway.".

Both are perfectly valid opinions, there is no right or wrong here, we can only tell from sales numbers that more people think like the first group.

A better headset, Kinect, better hdmi cables, hdmi in, more apps, free Live, ext power supply may be more worth than a slightly better gpu to those who care about those things... but if you value better performance then all these things have no value at all.

I think it all depends on your preferences. I like Xbox exclusives way more than Playstation exclusives (I'm not a single player centric gamer) and I also like Kinect and party games as I have a lot of people to play these games with. I don't care for tv integration but what MS offers to a gamer like me is better value than Sony's offer.

Are Play Station 4 users REALLY paying 400$ for a currently, game less system?

Enspire said:

To be fair it has a nice lineup of indies from the PC world, and Resogun is a nice little downloadable title.

Enspire said:

yeah right, keep trying ;)