By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are Xbox One buyers REALLY paying $100 more for weaker hardware?

Egann said:
VitroBahllee said:
Egann said:
 If you're leaning toward multimedia, you should probably get a Wii U, which does TV integration, web browsing, and youtube all better than the X1 at $200 less (Skype is the major loss.)

Oh, really? TV integration is better on Wii U? YouTube is BETTER on the Wii U? That's fascinating.

I own both, and I can tell you right now that you are either uninformed or saying falsehoods deliberately.

I own neither, but the Video Games Awesome with the Xbox One left me convinced voice commands were iffy, and I've heard numerous times that the Wii U can web browse while running youtube, complements to the gamepad. The X1's snap approach just looks cluttery, even when it works well.

Well let me tell you right now that the 'tv integration' on Wii U is next to useless, particularly if you have an audio receiever. A $5 universal remote with only channel buttons and volume is just as useful. The 'TViiiiiii' feature that didn't even work at launch is beyond ridiculous. I know of nobody who likes/uses it.

Trust me, the voice commands are fine on Xbox One. They're not 100% right now, but they are above 80% and they are way better than the Wii U's crap TV features.

Around the Network

There's no debating that the XB1 as currently packaged, has a higher BoM than the current PS4.

Depending upon which data set/estimate one reads, the difference varies, but it is around the $100 mark (most have it under a $100 difference).

But of course, the production costs don't equal consumer demand relative to supply. The package may cost close to $500 to ship, but clearly, there is a more limited market for that package and all that it includes than there is for a $399 PS4.

At any rate, telling consumers that the XB1 is actually a better value or a better package isn't going to convince anyone who has the slightest clue about what they want to change their mind about what they want.

greenmedic88 said:
There's no debating that the XB1 as currently packaged, has a higher BoM than the current PS4.

Depending upon which data set/estimate one reads, the difference varies, but it is around the $100 mark (most have it under a $100 difference).

But of course, the production costs don't equal consumer demand relative to supply. The package may cost close to $500 to ship, but clearly, there is a more limited market for that package and all that it includes than there is for a $399 PS4.

At any rate, telling consumers that the XB1 is actually a better value or a better package isn't going to convince anyone who has the slightest clue about what they want to change their mind about what they want.

Totally agree with everything you said.  

Just to be clear, I never attempted to sway anybody's opinion.  I'm just saying that it costs $500 because it has more packed in the box despite being weaker.  Other people (maybe not you) seem to have read more into it than that.

It could be a $200 console that comes with $300 worth of bird seed and I'd say the cost was justified because it equalled $500.  Whether you want bird seed to feed to birds so that they will let you have sex with them (you sick bastard!) or you take the bird seed and throw it in the garbage is up to you.

d21lewis said:
greenmedic88 said:

Totally agree with everything you said.  

Just to be clear, I never attempted to sway anybody's opinion.  I'm just saying that it costs $500 because it has more packed in the box despite being weaker.  Other people (maybe not you) seem to have read more into it than that.

It could be a $200 console that comes with $300 worth of bird seed and I'd say the cost was justified because it equalled $500.  Whether you want bird seed to feed to birds so that they will let you have sex with them (you sick bastard!) or you take the bird seed and throw it in the garbage is up to you.

Sure the cost is justified, but if you don't want the bird seed than its not extra value. It acts like a detriment, driving up the cost and barrier of entry to the console.

More isn't neccessarily better. If the only thing you value in the package is the 200$ console, then you could have spent 300$ on things that you value rather than on bird seed. 

TBH, Kinect 2.0 is exactly the same mistake that PS Move was.

PS Move was better than the Wiimote in pretty much every technical way, but Sony copied it without understanding why it worked so well.

Kinect 2.0 is also more accurate and technologically superior to the eyetoy, camera, and wiimote, but again its copying them without understanding why they worked so well. Specifically, the mandatory Wiimote. It worked for various reason such as the being the primary mode of control (kinect is an alternative to the controller), the only way to control the menu (kinect partially got this right), being cheap, and being easy to use (again kinect has this partially right).

Case in point, we only use our dorm wii for gamecube games, few wii games, project m, and melee, until this year we had to use the wii mote to turn it on but after hacking it to work without the wiimote, the sensorbar and wiimotes are all just collecting dust.

The Kinect we have for the 360 doesn't really do anything, not because its inaccurate, but because the controller is just better.

CIP: If MS really wants to give the XB1 more value than the PS4 rather than just a higher price, drop it to 399$ and make the kinect either mandatory or give it a killer app. They are talking a lot about how the Kinect is the future, but if the truly have the cajones then they should be pushing it as hard as they can.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I think MS should sell the X1 currently for as long as the sales can recoup the R&D costs of Kinect. Maybe 2 years tops. Then offer a kinectless SKU and throw in a couple games with the Kinect SKU for added incentive.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

People just have to compare the costs for Sony and Microsoft and if the costs are also higher for Microsoft. If they think the PS4 price is fair then they also have to think that the Xbox One price is fair if Microsoft has higher costs.  

W

U

T

The Xbox is a BIG console. You probably get like $20 more in the extra plastic and power brick alone. Sony gives you some generic power cord.
^^^^^ Sarcasm ?

You get a REAL headset. The PS4 came with some flimsy wire with an ear bud on the end.
^^^^^ really a Headset ? want to start a disscusion with that ? hehe

The Xbox One comes with the new Kinect. Hate it or love it, the original Kinect cost like $150.
^^^^^ mmmm ok moving on.

The Xbox One has apps that the PS4 doesn't, yet.
^^^^^ aww cool ? I thought It was about the games, still what apps are talking about, I'm sure if those apps were great I think those would make more buzzz

The Xbox One has an IR blaster that can control your TV and stuff right out of the box (The Wii U controller can control your TV, too. Just saying.). The PS4 can't.
^^^^^^^ cool a remote control *insert sad face*

The Xbox One has that HDMI IN that pretty much gives you an extra HDMI port for your TV AND lets you integrate functions into your console.
^^^^ lag ?

The PS4 doesn't come with a free month of PS Plus (even the PS3 I got on Black Friday came with that!) but it does come with a $10 PSN voucher.
^^^^ really comparing PSN plus mmm ok, I will just go to my instant game collection :)

petroleo said:

The Xbox is a BIG console. You probably get like $20 more in the extra plastic and power brick alone. Sony gives you some generic power cord.
^^^^^ Sarcasm ?  Yes, sarcasm.  The turns out, the Xbox One ain't even that much bigger than the PS4.

You get a REAL headset. The PS4 came with some flimsy wire with an ear bud on the end.
^^^^^ really a Headset ? want to start a disscusion with that ? hehe  Sure.  Why not?  It's true, isn't it?  

The Xbox One comes with the new Kinect. Hate it or love it, the original Kinect cost like $150.
^^^^^ mmmm ok moving on.  Okay.

The Xbox One has apps that the PS4 doesn't, yet.
^^^^^ aww cool ? I thought It was about the games, still what apps are talking about, I'm sure if those apps were great I think those would make more buzzz  No.  It's not about games.  Whatever gave you that idea?  Greatness is a matter of opinion.  A dedicated Youtube app, for example.  Even the 3DS has that and the PS4 doesn't.  Don't believe me?  Go check it out!  In fact, just to make sure that what I'm posting is accurate, I checked the store on my PS4 just now.  Not only was there no Youtube app, I went to Youtube with the browser and I couldn't even use that to watch videos!  It says I need to update my flash player.  Of course you can watch youtube on any device so it's not a game breaker.  It's just that Wii U/Xbox One owners can pause their game, go to youtube and look at a guide, and then come back to their game if they wanted to.  

The Xbox One has an IR blaster that can control your TV and stuff right out of the box (The Wii U controller can control your TV, too. Just saying.). The PS4 can't.
^^^^^^^ cool a remote control *insert sad face*  I agree.  It's IS cool!  A bit of a big deal for me now that I've gotten used to it.

The Xbox One has that HDMI IN that pretty much gives you an extra HDMI port for your TV AND lets you integrate functions into your console.
^^^^ lag ?  Only if I plug in another console for games from what I've seen.  I use the HDMI IN for TV and there's no lag on that--and if there is, I don't notice it.  It works great.

The PS4 doesn't come with a free month of PS Plus (even the PS3 I got on Black Friday came with that!) but it does come with a $10 PSN voucher.
^^^^ really comparing PSN plus mmm ok, I will just go to my instant game collection :) You mean we can just go to OUR instant game collections. I'm a PS4 owner just like you (You do own one, right?), fellow Sony brother! Add me to your PS4 friend's list so we can play together.  My PSN ID is in the sig.  :)

And I wrote this BEFORE I was an Xbox One owner, too.  Grabbed the Titanfall bundle. I stand by what I said (including the sarcasm) now more than ever because I even got Titanfall packed in the box and six weeks of XBL Gold!

Check me out, yo!

Is there a huge benefits having Dx12 update for Xbox 1? if no then yes $100 for weaker hardware.

Addition to OP:
MS also went with a consistent design (console, power brick, cables,...) which is what only Nintendo has done before I think. I like that because it adds some sense of quality (note: not saying it IS better, it just makes people think that, that's the way brands work, you know) when it's not just some ordinary accessory. Not sure if Sony has finally done that as well but I guess not, based on OP.

Kinect is the best way to go to justify the $100. It's really good (even Kinect 1 was) but only something awesome if you want it I think. Not sure about external HDDs but I think that's going to be the better option on Xbox? Not up to date but I read stuff about Sony not offering that or only their own HDDs (and I instantly remembered memory for the Vita).