By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Nintendo screw us?

If you look around these forums, you'll notice A LOT of Wii defenses. All manner of third party titles are jumped on immediately as saviors, when the majority of rational folks can all agree that it's severely lacking behind the competition's. Topics have come up recently showing the Wii's average review scores far below those of the PS3 and 360. Anyone can see why. Only Nintendo has such classics as Alvin and the Chipmunks and Ninjabread Man. How much of this do you think is Nintendo's blame?

Does anyone get the sneaking suspision that Nintendo may not have a quality control department? If the console maker can take a blind eye to whatever is shoveled onto their Wii, how can you expect the third party to up their standards? I know many will say that the time will come and third party will arrive, but it may not. If a third party is not told to meet a certain standard, and sees it's previous efforts of mediocrity raking in bucks, why would they change the gameplan? Does one expensive critically acclaimed project equal to ten low budget cakewalks that somehow still make a good profit?

Nintendo will probably approach and possibly pass the PS2 as the world's best selling console, but I fear the library will never equal or even come close to it's predecessor. We are still looking at the same Nintendo console that is known for it's sparse lineup of excellent first party offerings, followed by a sparse selection of mediocre to great third party offerings, followed with the newest phenomenon, a plethora of shovelware.

Nintendo themselves have gone on record on who their target audience is, and it doesn't sound like you and me. By opening up the market place, Nintendo set an example of easy games for beginning gamers. It leaves those of us who came before this time to question why we stay with a company that isn't in it for us. Now granted, Nintendo is a business just trying to survive. I don't hate them for their approach. I just don't feel it serves my interests.

Does anyone get the nagging feeling inside that the third party situation isn't really getting that much better? Let me step it up a notch. Does anyone get the nagging feeling that the third party offerings will never match up to the 360 and PS3s? Games like Monster Hunter and Fatal Frame are a start, but mostly Japanese sales wise. I don't think many people heard these announcements and thought Nintendo truly pulled anything great from the competition. Shouldn't there have been some screenshots of something down the pipeline from third parties? Something outstanding? I don't need to name games from the competition, but you know who the real developers are developing for.

Capcom is a great example of a third party that is going on record saying they are wary of developing for the Wii. It's not because they aren't making money off of it. They are. They want to know whether they're better off developing light affairs like We Love Golf, offbeat experiments like Zach & Wiki, or straight ports of former fan favorites like Resident Evil 4 and Okami. I bet if you rolled every Capcom team from each Wii game into one, it wouldn't reach the magnitude of the team working on Resident Evil 5, or even Devil May Cry 4. If you think the tides are changing, think again. Even after the Wii's continued success, their only announcement was rearming Bionic Commando for PS3 and 360. It should have been a shoe-in for the Wii with the control set-up. Capcom's not the only guilty party, but I feel they're the most obvious culprit. 

I'll add more later. In the meantime, does everyone else have the notion that Nintendo is to blame for this problem? I just have the feeling that the Wii will have a massive victory this generation, but it will be an empty one. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I have a bad feeling about this. I will have to read it later.

Word of advice: Never post anything anti-Nintendo

You will get eaten alive.

*puts ear to the ground*
they're coming.

I've noticed the official Nintendo Seal of Quality is misssing... Maybe they have eased up on their standards

well I agree mostly. But Nintendo has some of the best first party games available.

Around the Network

ZOMG

*casts shellga and protectga*

Yeah I agree, I think the Wii is the first ever console to get such a slew of shovelware.

Well, your post is just too long. Sorry.

While skimming I noticed a lot of 3rd party on Wii bashing, so I'm assuming you are complaining about the lack of quality 3rd party software on Wii and that since Wii is dominating, we are all screwed with crappy 3rd party ports.

Well, true. 3rd parties on Wii have definitely been worse than PS360. However, that is only because up until now all major 3rd party support was started in some from prior to any of these machines launches. They all bet on what seemed to be the best option, PS360. Now, they realize the Wii is the base and now it seems you have a clear divide of 3rd parties who will put forth massive effort on Wii (SE, Ubisoft, etc) and those who think it can only sell minigames or soft casual games. I just hope the former will prove in this year that quality is what is needed, not minigames/super duper casual games.

No console maker has quality control for third party games. Or if they do they do a shitty job of it.

Nintendo used too... and that's part of what screwed them. It's also was a big reason gaming got brought back from the crash... but you just can't work with a quality control deparment anymore... reason being... a lot of people like bad games.

I mean why would they when they get paid per liscenced game?

Check the PS2.  That also had some pretty lame games for it... or the PS1... or any winning console not SNES.  Snes didn't have that many bad games to my knowledge.

Yea the first party games are by far the highest quality imaginable but it is kinda upsetting to see the official Nintendo Seal of Quality is missing. Its that seal that helped to bring video games back from the crash in the 80;s..