By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First day with Wii U impressions (Sony fan perspective)

rolltide101x said:
allenmaher said:
I like the tone and content of the OP. I have a WiiU and it is one of my favourite gaming machines. I agree that the gamepad is better for some games than others, for FPS you cant beat the wiiu motion plus wiimote with the wiizapper (only a mouse is better for aiming)

I mainly use my steammachine (yes a linux one but windows games run on it as well using wine) but will look at the PS4 once the exclusives become compelling enough to me.

The variety of controls used in the Wii U is great, wiimote, pro controller, balance board, gamepad, and the exclusives are great. As the cheapest entry in this gen of gaming I don't see why people would not get it as a secondary console.

I mostly agree.

But I have found that Wine does not 100% replace Windows and Linux does not get the majority of PC games I want to play (Ubuntu is the only OS I use besides Windows for gaming)

Wine is definately finicky and not a 100% guarantee.  You are right that steam linux only has 500 or so games released so far (it has been one year).  With CryEngine, Source, Unity, and Unreal ported now plus the fall launch of the hardware I expect the situation to improve.  Wine is best for legacy games which mostly work well, hopefully new releases will get native ports.

Around the Network
BuckStud said:
rolltide101x said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

I hate power bricks. That about my only complaint. Especially when an xbo is thrown in the mix with it. Game on OP. Though not a fan of Alabama at all.

lol Roll Tide Roll! I also hate power bricks (possibly because Sony has spoiled me)

While I'm no fan of power bricks, it does two things well.  It keeps the added heat out of the system and since power supplies are one of the most replaced parts on a dead system, it's easier for the average person to replace.

Those are good points. The PS4 runs cooler than the Xbox One. (unless what I read after launch was incorrect)

BuckStud said:
rolltide101x said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

I hate power bricks. That about my only complaint. Especially when an xbo is thrown in the mix with it. Game on OP. Though not a fan of Alabama at all.

lol Roll Tide Roll! I also hate power bricks (possibly because Sony has spoiled me)

While I'm no fan of power bricks, it does two things well.  It keeps the added heat out of the system and since power supplies are one of the most replaced parts on a dead system, it's easier for the average person to replace.

"Gaming and multitasking leads to 45 Celsius(113 Fahrenheit) temperature on PlayStation 4, similar activity on Xbox One can bump the temperature up to 49 Celsius(120 Fahrenheit)."

Can you explain that? How is the PS4 smaller, more powerful, have the PSU built in, and still run cooler?

I am asking hoping you have more PC building experience that me and can explain it. With my limited experience in computer hardware I can not explain it. Does GDDR5 ram run cooler than DDR3 possibly?

will get it after next price drop.

Glad you made the leap and bought one and happy to hear you're enjoying it. your complaints are understandable, the battery does suck and the gamepad doesn't exactly work well with every genre (hence the classic controller pro.) You can always buy a long lasting battery from Nintendo?

Around the Network
DeadlyCatalyst said:
Glad you made the leap and bought one and happy to hear you're enjoying it. your complaints are understandable, the battery does suck and the gamepad doesn't exactly work well with every genre (hence the classic controller pro.) You can always buy a long lasting battery from Nintendo?

For 300$ I do not think you could ask for much more. (Game comes with it too :) )

If you want entertaining multiplayer then check out ZombiU, it's a blast. The single player campaign is also awesome...just don't play it in the dark with headphones on unless you have clean underwear handy lol

fleischr said:
Well look at that... an objective look at the Wii U

They're just discovering what most Wii U owners already know. That the pad is everything as advertised and more. That the only people hating on it are Nintendo hates who don't own one and have no real experience with it.

rolltide101x said:
Rogerioandrade said:
Nice purchase

I didn´t find the Gamepad to be heavy, on the contrary, or its size it´s kind of light. Lighter than I would expect. Anyway, it´s justa matter of personal perceptionl

I don´t understand why people expected the Gamepad to work away from the console. Of course you must be in the same room of the console for it to work, just like any regular controller without cable. It´s not a handheld, it´s a controller so why should it be different?

The battery life sure is an issue. 4-5 hours is too short. Thankfully there´s a battery already available with better life (6-8 hours). On the other side, the Pro Controller battery last around 70 hours.

Now, about the power bricks, I do think they´re pretty, like, unconfortable to deal with. The main one is too large.

PS4 + WiiU = perfect home console combo. For sure.

Remote Play connected directly to my PS4 works across my house though?

It is lighter than you would expect but it is absolutely heavier than say a DS4. (Which is what I am used to)

These are different things.

I play Monster Hunter 3 Co-op with my niece in different rooms, using a 3ds and a WiiU.  That´s the same thing.  I´m not sure if the type of connection is the same, but anyway the controller was not supposed to work too far away from the console due to its motion controls. 

Idk how they connect exactly buy I do know the range of PS4/Vita remote play has a 4-5x longer range than the Wii U and its pad. I think its a shame