By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are XBONE graphics closer to Wii U than PS4?

JakDaSnack said:
starworld said:
JakDaSnack said:
starworld said:
JakDaSnack said:

Then how is Nintendo able to create something like X or Bayonetta 2?  Those games look significantly better than anything on the 360/ps3.

just because you say it doesn't make it true.

what did I say?  what isn't true?

about x and bayonetta 2 looking better then the best 360/ps3 games i happen to think those games are not even close to looking like the best 360/ps3 games.

what games specifically?  

metal gear solid rising

god of war 3

uncharted 2 and 3

last of us

forza horizone

halo 4

GTAV

just off the top of my head.

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:

Yeah well the OP apparently missed this.

So you think the Wii U is weaker than PS360?

That is NOT the question imposed though is it?

No, it's not. What was your post suggesting then?

Im suggesting that this thread is asking questions where the answer is so damn obvious.

Holy Sh**.

I know overall you feel that way, but I'm just asking about this post:

"Yeah well the OP apparently missed [AC4 runs worse on Wii U than PS360]"

I took it as you suggesting Wii U was worse than PS360

"Holy Sh**."

I just asked you a simple question...

JakDaSnack said:
bonzobanana said:
Turkish said:
Not sure. gpu+cpu:

PS4: ~1.95/2TFlop (32ROPs, 1152 stream processors,
Xbone: 1.4TFlop (only 16 ROPs on gpu so 720p will be very common, 768 stream processors)
WiiU: estimates range from 300 to 600TFlop (8Rops, 320 stream processors)

There are as many ROPs and stream processors on the PS4 vs Xbone gap as the Xbone vs WiiU gap. The gap between PS4 and Xbone is ~500Gflop, Wii vs Xbone can be 800Gflop at minimum

wii u estimates start at 176 gflops and go up to 352 gflops, however the fact is the wii u gpu likely has a wii gpu integrated into it and this gpu may run at higher speeds in wii u mode to generate the gamepad screen when independent of the main screen. At best it probably adds 30 gflops performance to the main gflops performance of the wii u. The performance level we have seen from wii u makes it highly likely the performance is at the lower level 176gflops. However architecture differences means this will perform probably 30% plus minimum over the older architecture of the 360 gpu. Roughly speaking the wii u gpu is about the same performance level as 360/PS3 but has an enhanced feature set and has 32MB of ultra fast embedded memory. So its is bottleneck free almost. However still it performs below 360 and PS3 on most ocassions due to a slow CPU and low main memory bandwidth.

LIkely wii u architecture is something like a mobile Radion 6400M. Mobility architecture is extremely likely due to less heat issues even when fabricated at a low cost 40nm process as used in the wii u.

For the wii u to take so little power and produce so little heat that only needs a small fan it has to be a fairly low performance gpu. Not only that but you have to factor in the low bandwidth memory chips used which are less than 360 and PS3. It would be pointless fitting a higher performance gpu with such limited memory bandwidth. Lets not forget in the wii u that memory bandwidth has to be shared by both gpu and cpu. The 32MB of embedded memory certainly helps but its clear there would be huge restrictions on a more powerful gpu.

Then how is Nintendo able to create something like X or Bayonetta 2?  Those games look significantly better than anything on the 360/ps3.

Neither of those games look significantly better from what I've seen. Bayonetta 2 isn't that impressive and X looks a mixture of both good and bad graphically. However even if we accepted those games do look a bit better (I certainly don't) then you have to factor in an enhanced gpu feature set, an additional 1/2GB of gaming memory, a 32MB embedded ultra fast memory and a game engine that will be tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of the wii u. I.e. a game engine that is less demanding on cpu resources. We have yet to see how X for example implements its physics engine, AI, weather effects etc. We may find the game engine is fairly primitive, more of an uprezed xenoblade chronicles rather than a game engine that matches the best of 360 and PS3 that have higher CPU resources.

I like this video from the ps3. It shows so much going on in weather, lighting etc. It shows the cell being utilised to perform a large number of onscreen effects. I've seen nothing like that on wii u so far and X looks crude in comparison. In fact x looks like a fairly primitive engine not dis-similar to the original wii xenoblade chronicles just improved textures and higher res. I'm not convinced X represents an immersive living world as seen in games like Skyrim on 360. Perhaps someone can specifically point out something that is impressive with X.  What resolution will it run at as well?  I wouldn't say X vs Xenoblade is much different to Dragon quest x wii u to Dragon quest x wii. Similar graphic improvement but engine looks fairly dated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_bRdhtqGIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_wnLmYn5IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibQtCUzKv0

No. Taking a look back at my comparison thread, while Xbone is between the two other consoles, it certainly is closer to PS4.

bonzobanana said:

Neither of those games look significantly better from what I've seen. Bayonetta 2 isn't that impressive and X looks a mixture of both good and bad graphically. However even if we accepted those games do look a bit better (I certainly don't) then you have to factor in an enhanced gpu feature set, an additional 1/2GB of gaming memory, a 32MB embedded ultra fast memory and a game engine that will be tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of the wii u. I.e. a game engine that is less demanding on cpu resources. We have yet to see how X for example implements its physics engine, AI, weather effects etc. We may find the game engine is fairly primitive, more of an uprezed xenoblade chronicles rather than a game engine that matches the best of 360 and PS3 that have higher CPU resources.

I like this video from the ps3. It shows so much going on in weather, lighting etc. It shows the cell being utilised to perform a large number of onscreen effects. I've seen nothing like that on wii u so far and X looks crude in comparison. In fact x looks like a fairly primitive engine not dis-similar to the original wii xenoblade chronicles just improved textures and higher res. I'm not convinced X represents an immersive living world as seen in games like Skyrim on 360. Perhaps someone can specifically point out something that is impressive with X.  What resolution will it run at as well?  I wouldn't say X vs Xenoblade is much different to Dragon quest x wii u to Dragon quest x wii. Similar graphic improvement but engine looks fairly dated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_bRdhtqGIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_wnLmYn5IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tibQtCUzKv0

Thanks for the detailed response.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Around the Network

Its interesting, because devs are also making multiplat games on PC they are using some incredibly detailed models and beautiful graphics, and the new consoles are trying to replicate this. The problem is they don't have the grunt to do it in 1080p and 60fps most of the time (especially XBone). I have been gaming a long time and I am struggling to remember when the new consoles have struggled to keep up with PC so early in their lifespan. Now it could be a case that devs will learn how to get a lot more out of the XBone, but it certainly will be showing it's age if its lifespan goes for 7-8 years like the 360's did. Nintendo's Wii U is obviously less powerful again, but Nintendo's ability to get the most out of it combined with a 5-6 year console lifespan that is already in its 2nd year might see Wii U games holding their own visually.
With all of the Nintendo doom threads of late, is anyone thinking that XBone might be in a similar position in 12 months time?

PS4 top games are barely looking better than the best X1 has to offer as launch games. Forza 5 and Ryse are closer to what PS4 has to offer than what Wii U is capable. No game on WiiU is close to Ryse, a launch game when they top that then we'll talk.

If all systems had equal quality games, it would be something like this...
PS4: 1080p 60 FPS
XB1: 1080i 30 FPS
Wii U: 900p 30 fPS

starworld said:
Michael-5 said:
starworld said:
Michael-5 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

Well I know there's sure not a big difference between AC4 on Wii U vs One.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQmHpPJrsc

This gen is like the exact reverse of gen 6. Gamecube had a slight edge over Xbox which had a slight edge over PS2. This gen it's the same, except in reverse.

Thanks for showing me this. Getting a WiiU first, now I won't hold off by buying 3rd party games for WiiU

do yourself a favor and read the digitail foundry verdict, the game runs like crap on wiiu, its the worst version of the game, it looks about the same as the 360/ps3 versions, but runs 5-10 fps behind the 360/ps3 versions, while the ps4/xbone have a rock solid 30fps.

Yea, but the XB1 version also consistantly has FPS drops (reading DF review now), but yea....

Still getting Deus Ex for WiiU, and maybe Watch Dogs

they actually  say the xb1 version has very rare drops.

Quote:

The Xbox One version mostly achieves the same solid 30fps performance at 900p, but there are times when the frame-rate is noticeably compromised, resulting in uneven motion and even the odd torn frame

The Xbox One version unfortunately has a harder time delivering the same accomplishments, due to the lower 900p resolution and sharpening filter giving the game a much rougher look. The appearance of frame-rate drops in some scenes is also disappointing, considering the 30fps target and sub-native visuals

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

JazzB1987 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Is this real? Are people really asking this?
Multiplats might look and performance a little better on the PS4 but saying it's closer to previous gen is pushing it.

Noone said that so try to read before you reply okay? thanks

(lets just agree that you didnt read because if you did and called WiiU last gen on purpose thats actually a reason to be banned. Please dont be so "hostile" next time)

1. I was refering to it spec-wise.

2. Why are you so hurt that I called a console previous gen (whether or not it actually is)? How does that affect you exactly.