By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My life as a gamer...

It's really amazing to see how the gaming community is coming together with the gaming industry in an effort to raise donations for kids. Gaming for Good is basically just a website where developers donate their games and when gamers donate to charity they get those games for free. Money goes to a charity organization (Save the Children) which is helping children in Malawi, Indonesia, Bangladesh, etc. It's one of the most effective charities in the world.

People always tend to thank Bachir Boumaaza, aka Athene, for what he's doing, but, as he says, what he's doing is merely being a voice and trying to raise awareness and it's the gaming community that is actually coming together and raising those funds. Looking back and seeing where they came from, and seeing where they're now, what they've managed to achieve together really puts a smile on his face.

You now the saying: It's better to give rather than receive, and Athene really felt that when he was explaining gaming to the poor kids. He says it's the best experience you can have... they saved a child right there in front of his eyes. They even had a U.S. Marine that donated his entire paycheck when he saw the work they were doing... he was so touched by it.

"Save the Children" is Athene's inspiration and he's proud to be a gamer because of everything they have been doing
. At any point throughout his journey, his mission wouldn't be possible without them. Athene also often contemplates and discusses philosophy, science, values, life and activism with his friends. He even made a documentary film about his own theory of everything. But, all started when he and his friends formed an activist group and their first project was NEE - a political organization in Belgium.

See documentary: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMJdXJAHPA#t=44     (if you can embed please do it my firefox crashes =p).

Thought it was interesting to watch...if it has already been posted sorry couldn't find it;.

Around the Network

I really wish I were wealthy so that I could give a lot to some of these gamer-centric charities. That would be awesome. Most people really underestimate how positive gaming can be for some kids.

My best friend passed away in 2008 from complications with his Cystic Fibrosis. He spent much of his life in hospitals or inside his room. However, he was a very social person with a lot of friends, most of which he made from online gaming. MMOs like WoW let him have fun together with other people, they let him pass his time doing something he enjoyed, even without being able to leave his house. They let him feel the joy of accomplishment with his guild. It might sound silly, but I will be eternally grateful to video-games for that, if nothing else.

People often talk about the negatives of games without bothering with the positives. There is no doubt in my mind that those positives exist.

tag

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

If you think the start of the documentary is very boring start around 32.00 then it becomes very interesting..

And yes he is a hero, I got so touched watching this documentary damned...

pokoko said:
I really wish I were wealthy so that I could give a lot to some of these gamer-centric charities. That would be awesome. Most people really underestimate how positive gaming can be for some kids.

Well all the little things help aswell. All the 5 bucks that people donated for cutting his hair very little raised at the end 160.000$..

Around the Network

He was born in my city! ^_^
Yay my city ^(*_,_*)^

DamnTastic said:
He was born in my city! ^_^
Yay my city ^(*_,_*)^

:) Same here.   

Deffo going to watch this later, thanks for posting!

He's a troll and has been for years. Using your popularity to raise money for charity doesn't make you a better person.

Definitely not a hero.

If you want to give to charity, go and do it. No need to broadcast to everyone how wonderfully selfless you are.

If you enjoy video games, just play them. No need to broadcast to everyone you're part of some special labelled group called "gamers".

Soleron said:

He's a troll and has been for years. Using your popularity to raise money for charity doesn't make you a better person.

Definitely not a hero.

If you want to give to charity, go and do it. No need to broadcast to everyone how wonderfully selfless you are.

If you enjoy video games, just play them. No need to broadcast to everyone you're part of some special labelled group called "gamers".

Ofcourse he is a troll, a lot of trolls are loved on the internet (see all those Xbox one shut off COD matches etc) but that is the internet and his persona..

He is one of those internet guys that simply could turn of his account and live a life with plenty of money but instead he choose to create entertainment for others, create charity events and best of all influence gamers to do so aswell...

If being a troll or an asshole on the internet can raise millions of dollars to charity than he is a really good asshole in my book..