By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Toshiba's press confress to end it

Check this out guys, the end?

Breaking: Toshiba Schedules Press Conference, HD DVD Announcement Expected

Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 09:00 PM ET

Toshiba has scheduled a press conference for later today, at which it is widely expected to announce that it is officially ceasing support of the HD DVD format.

Japanese news site Nikkei.net broke the news that Toshiba has scheduled a press conference for 5pm Tokyo time Tuesday (that's 12am PST), at which the company is expected to announce that it will immediately stop manufacturing all HD DVD hardware and that it will cease selling them at retail by the end of March.

The news comes on the heels of a rapid succession of high-profile setbacks for the format over the past last week. First, three major retailers -- Netflix, Best Buy and Wal-Mart -- each announced plans to endorse the rival Blu-ray format, followed by intense speculation that Toshiba was mulling over its exit strategy for the nearly two-year old next-gen format (a claim that the company later confirmed, though it stopped short of declaring whether any decision had been made).

Needless to say, we'll keep you posted on any news out of Toshiba's press conference tonight, as well as any other developments as they unfold.

Source: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Industry_Trends/Breaking:_Toshiba_Schedules_Press_Conference,_HD_DVD_Announcement_Expected/1479

The end is finally near, hopefully. =D 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Awwww nuts. I read a few other forums where the war is discussed in depth.

I might have to do work in work now =(

Sweet. Soon a mod can lock Blue3's infamous thread.

Yes it should finally be over, does anyone expect PS3 sales to boost in the next couple of weeks?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I knew it was the end when Warner Bros joined the blu side

Around the Network
pichu_pichu said:
we knew it was the end when Warner Bros joined the blu side

no, it ended when Walmart jumped to the blu side

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Finally! Will only be good for the industry to have only one HD-format :D

I will bring some flowers

who here is planning to bring some tears?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

lol. Remember when so many people here said Wal-Mart would kill Blu-Ray by beginnng to sell sub $99 HD-DVD players from China?

ssj12 said:
pichu_pichu said:
we knew it was the end when Warner Bros joined the blu side

no, it ended when Walmart jumped to the blu side

It was over before Wal-mart made their move. Warner was the turning point in the war. Once Warner made their announcement, Toshiba had to pull out a miracle in order to stop their inevitable demise. All they could manage was another price drop (which didn't impress anyone based on the lack of sales) and they wasted some money on a super bowl ad (that didn't show in most areas, and half the areas it did show it was in SD!!)

My prediction (Jan 15th, 2008), total sales by end of 2008: Wii - 35 million X360 - 25 million PS3 - 21 million