By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will people ever stop having expectations when it comes to Nintendo Directs?

Chrizum said:

Nintendo has no plans for the Wii U. What you see now, that wás their plan: release a bunch of Mario games and refuse to cooporate with third parties so that Nintendo's big games don't have any competition.

Nintendo will release Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, X, Zelda and probably a few more Mario games. And that's it. After that, it's over. If that sounds like a worthwile line-up, then you're golden. But this is how it's going to be and frankly, a line-up like this will be the best-case scenario for the next Nintendo console, if even that.

This could very well be the case, in which I will be fine. I usually get two consoles every gen (and usually wind up with all 3 consoles by the end). But what I will say I do hope Nintendo does is try to colab with 3rd parties to get some of the other Nintendo 1st party titles and exclusives out. I've said it before and will stick with the fact that no multiplat game is gonna sway a XBone or PS4 gamer into buying a Wii U. For people like myself who get more than one console, the ends don't justify the means if spending the money to aquire those. It only leaves a very small niche of consumers that will buy their multiplats.

As for mergers and aquisitions, this is definitely the route they need to take. of they bought Sega, Capcom, Konami, or even Square-Enix. (Though to be honest I don't see the need in Nintendo buying Sega, as they have shown nothing but love to the Wii U and 3DS, even bringing over the first Persona game to 3ds.) In my perfect World they would buy Capcom because they have the most game series I enjoy, but any of the above would be HUGE!

Around the Network

When the Jan 2013 Direct gets undone

tbone51 said:
Too you maybe

I was happy with mk8 trailer with little mac debut and bayo2! Also X gameplay, free to play games and of course a release date for my Kirby!!!

Anyway, too many people expect too much. Its either a direct or no direct at all, i dont see why people complain so much but thats just me i guess

you heave right,  people axpect too much from N_Direct.!!!!

I enjoy the format in general, and I wasn't dissapointed with this one. As long as they have new content to show (and they clearly did here), I don't see what the issue is. It's not like they have to stick to just one kind of marketing anyway... And to those of us that follow the news on gaming sites, these Directs make enough of a splash to appear on most of them, and the info being concentrated at one moment brings them more attention than just scattered around. I also doubt that they're expensive to produce anyway.

Chrizum said:

Nintendo has no plans for the Wii U. What you see now, that wás their plan: release a bunch of Mario games and refuse to cooporate with third parties so that Nintendo's big games don't have any competition.

Nintendo will release Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, X, Zelda and probably a few more Mario games. And that's it. After that, it's over. If that sounds like a worthwile line-up, then you're golden. But this is how it's going to be and frankly, a line-up like this will be the best-case scenario for the next Nintendo console, if even that.

Baseless speculation. Nintendo already has more games announced that those you mentioned (Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Yarn, another Art Academy) and they have already stated that Miyamoto's team is working on a new game that takes advantage of the gamepad, which might be the new IP from him that has been hinted before. They surely have more in the works. Maybe even a certain "Pokkén" game as well...

And how exactly do they refuse to cooperate with 3rd parties ? Namco has been working with Nintendo for a while now, with Smash Bros, Wii Sports Club and the Mario Kart games for Arcade being developed by them, and a few of their games having various Nintendo references (Tekken TT2, Taiko no Tatsujin, etc). With Sega they made a deal for 3 Sonic games, got Bayonetta 2 created, continued the Mario and Sonic games, and had a Yoshi-themed DLC for Sonic Lost Worlds. Tecmo-Koei is making Hyrule Warriors with the Zelda IP (before that Team Ninja co-developed Metroid: Other M), and Nintendo published Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for them. Ubisoft got to use Mario costumes on Rayman Legends, got ZombiU promoted by them, and has Just Dance localized in Japan by them. Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, the first Epic Mickey (in Japan) and several Atlus games got localized by them. Mega Man is on Smash. uDraw was created with their assistance. Plenty of external developers work for them. They licensed Unity to encourage development on WiiU. What more evidence do people need ?

There were plenty of announcements and revelations in the last Nintendo Direct. They included new characters in several games, and a video outlining the battle system in Nintendo's most anticipated RPG ever, outside of the Pokemon. It was a fairly great Nintendo Direct in actuality.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I look at Nintendo Direct like a news report. It's just to inform. I don't look at my local news and leave pissed off because I didn't see enough murders and car wrecks. I just want to learn what's going on. Same goes for ND's. I just want to know what's going on in the world of Nintendo.