By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - After seeing Bayonetta 2 and 'X' in action today...

The PS4's power seems...

Better, but not THAT much better anymore... 241 15.42%

Are you crazy?! The PS4 is GOD! 349 22.33%

The Wii U is clearly unde... 741 47.41%

The PS4 is selling better... 36 2.30%

I think I'll be buying a... 191 12.22%

Total:1,558
curl-6 said:
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Because the Wii U is less powerful than the PS4/X1, obviously. I never claimed Wii U was on par with its 8th gen peers power-wise, just that it can outperform PS3/360.

I would love to be proven wrong on Watch Dogs, but I'm pretty confident in basing my  prediction on Ubisoft's poor track record. I suspect it will like AC4 on Wii U; PS3/360 visuals with a shitty framerate.

You still haven't given me a reason as to why the WII U couldn't beat last generation versions of the games ... Why would it be like AC4 when watch dogs is using a new engine that supports new features ? 

Because they're just going to copy+paste the PS3/360 assets and optimise the ill-suited code it just enough to make it semi-playable, in order to minimise costs.

How do you know that they'll use an "ill-suited code" when it's supposed to be the engine that does it automatically and the fact that it's getting delayed ? There is once again absolutely no reason why it can't beat the last gen versions if it were truly more capable.

Around the Network

How do you know that they'll use an "ill-suited code" when it's supposed to be the engine that does it automatically and the fact that it's getting delayed ? There is once again absolutely no reason why it can't beat the last gen versions if it were truly more capable.

Because they'll use the PS3/360 code, and the Wii U architecture is quite different from those platforms, so code optimized for PS3/360 is not well suited to Wii U. 

curl-6 said:

Because they'll use the PS3/360 code, and the Wii U architecture is quite different from those platforms, so code optimized for PS3/360 is not well suited to Wii U. 

You cannot just use PS360 code and expect it to work on the WII U. The code is different for each platforms except for the X1 and PC. Even if the code were different it doesn't matter much because most game developers do not focus on low level programming for the most part. Often times they will at best use middlewares such as Libraries and APIs. Just because the WII U has a different architecture compared to last generation platforms doesn't excuse it seeing as how it's easier to program on the WII U than it is the PS360 so with the delay of watch dogs on the WII U there really isn't any excuse as to why the WII U version shouldn't be better than the last generation HD twins.

JoeTheBro said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
JoeTheBro said:

I am.

He's using the wording of a Jimmy Fallon interview as evidence. This is conspiracy level stuff here. If they were just saying a BS number, why didn't Sony say they targeted 15 times more? 20 times more? Wouldn't matter since they "clearly missed this by a decent margin" right?

Plus you know there are things like this: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/tretton-says-playstation-4-is-ten-times-more-powerful-than-ps3#.UwmcUYWmb84

"With PlayStation 4 being $399, and being 10 times more powerful than the PlayStation 3, that bodes very well for talking people into buying a PlayStation 4." — Jack Tretton

And this: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/30/playstation-4-the-ultimate-faq/

"The PS4 system is capable of 10x the processing power of PS3 system."

Also he's more than nitpicking infamous. An open world game has some edges in a cut-scene close up. No way, really?!? It's still by far the best looking open-world game out there. I mean this thread is about him seeing the X video and thinking it looked amazing, and now he's saying Infamous looks "good?"

"B-b-but it's open world!" Is that him giving us permission to say X looks horrible? If it wasn't for that fact about X, it wouldn't even compare to mid 7th gen games. Don't make me bring up the Mr. Khan quote about removing what makes something extraordinary lol.

Can't comment about the tech stuff since the PS4 CPU info hasn't been released and the Wii U GPU info hasn't been released.

And when did I say 'X' looked amazing?

And you really buy those PR statements by Sony?  Remember when: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/050517e.pdf

Yea, 2 TFLOPS of power for the PS3.  Look, I'm not a fanboy of anything, but I know some BS when I see it.  The PS2 was said to be powerful enough to bring CG-like graphics to games.  The PS3 was hailed as being so powerful that no developers will ever use its full power. Now the PS4 is 10 times more powerful than the PS3, and yet, I played KZ:SF and was pointing out 2D grass sprites in multiplayer that were low res, and didn't even have their own shadow...  6 out of 8 cores for games (probably about 70 GFLOPS of CPU power there), 1.84 TFLOP GPU, people need to get real about it and stop thinking the PS4 is going to do anything more than put some polish on last generation games, mostly by modernizing special effects, decreasing loading times, allowing for bigger worlds, and more players/NPCs in multiplayer/singleplayer.  It won't change the graphics landscape.  In fact, I'm keen to believe that we will NEVER see another change in graphics landscape like the PS3/XBox360, because it's just not financially viable to do that, not the way the industry is now with games requiring budgets so large that they need to sell doorbusters to survive.

Besides, didn't someone earlier try to use Pikmin 3 to pick out some polygon edges on an EYEBALL of a bulborb?  Why is that flaws in a Sony game are cherrypicked, but flaws in a Nintendo game are major problems indicative of the entire system? o_O

Again, wow.

You selectively ignored parts of my post, so I'll take that as a free pass to selectively respond to yours

First of all you're just contradicting yourself by now saying Sony lies with PR. Why in your original post didn't you just say something along the lines of "I know Sony has said 10X, but do you actually believe anything this company says? Look at this one thing 8 years ago"? That's a rhetorical question: it's extremely obvious. You don't believe in Sony's PR of the power difference so you looked for a way to invalidate their statement. Since you assumed they always stated it was a targeted difference, you read between the lines and came up with your original conclusion. I easily proved that was wrong, so now you've come up with a new way to invalidate their PR statements.

Kinda ironic considering at this point you state you're not a fanboy. You might not be, but you sure are acting like one. You're saying Sony is straight up lying over and over again about this simply because you disagree with them and eight years ago they spinned some data. You're not an expert at this just because you're a PC gamer. I am an actual dev working on these systems telling you your analysis and predictions are horribly flawed and inaccurate. Plus why in the world do you keep bringing up numbers and such as if you're the one explaining to me? It's also strange that you bring them up since you know I can't give specific responses due to NDA.

By bringing up Pikmin your again showing that you're looking at this from a fanboy perspective. We aren't here to attack you or your system. I feel the need to stress, again, that I'm a big Nintendo fan and own a Wii U. Hey look what I used to have in my sig. You know how each console group on this site has a mega-thread? I used to be the "king" of the Nintendo one.

I pointed the edges out in a joking matter because I believed you said the game had no visible edges. Who in the world said it was a major problem indicative of the whole system? Plus when a user corrected me about which game you were referring to, I apologized for my mistake. I could have very easily gone to Google and found a picture of SM3DW with visible edges, but I didn't. I specifically didn't want to look like I was attacking the Wii U or its games.

Nobody's cherrypicking anything or ignoring anything.  Lame comments about how Sony could have said 15 or 20 are obviously not worth debating, since they COULD have also said 5, which is definitely in line with the numbers.  I clearly linked all the things you needed to see that the PS4 isn't 10 times as powerful as the PS3.  With Sony's track record of their overstatement of power, I have no reason to toss out the numbers that state otherwise, AND believe their PR statements.

I will always get accused of being a Nintendo fanboy by the simple action of defending them, that's not surprising in the least.  People who can see through me a little better can tell the difference.  I'm clearly defending Nintendo because of the unfair amount of negative press and "hardcore gamer" smack talk the Wii U unjustly receives, mostly using the PS4's "power" as some sort of reference or standard.  These same individuals are the people buying into the marketing of the PS4, and just gobble up anything Sony says about their system.  Both the negativity towards the Wii U and the overhyped PS4 information need to stop.

If my show was a PS4 show, I would have most likely written my blog article to Sony fanboys about why they need to stop exaggerating the power the PS4 has.  It's the most powerful of the three consoles, but it's not going to magically alter graphics to anyone with an unbiased eye.

You're clearly more vested in the PS4, despite everything you say.  And though you take my information as an attack in the PS4, it's more of a "debunking" than anything else.  I have very real expectations of all systems, that's why you don't see me praising any of them.  And no, it's not because I'm a PC gamer, but admittedly, PC gaming does open ones eyes about "graphics".  Assuming, of course, a high-end or enthusiast rig is being used.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
FinalFantasyXIII said:

Tree Qoute eyeball rape goin on in here.

OP Bayonetta 2 and X will come out almost 2 years after Wii U, so you can't compare launch titles of PS4/XB1 to Wii U 2 years after the fact silly...but you did. You're so smart.

I respect the fact that you wouldn't want to read through 50+ pages, but this was already addressed.

In summary: let's compare the Wii U's games to late last-gen games of the PS3/XBox360 and talk about how bad the Wii U's launch games look, but when comparing Wii U's early-life titles to PS4/XBox1's launch titles, let's wait until the PS4/XBox1 are out longer because the launch titles are nothing compared to the potential the system's have.  Are these people "smart" to you?

This is what I'm slowly trying to set people straight on.  If you're going to talk smack, at least do it consistently, or accept it in the same nature as you would give it (reap what you sow).  The media and "hardcore gamer" stuff against Nintendo really are out of hand, and it's time to set some people straight.

^^/
Around the Network

I personally take this article with a grain of salt, simply because it discredits itself with lack of proper information on which Wii U games are 1080p, but...

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Memory-Bandwidth-GPU-More-Powerful-Than-We-Thought-62437.html

This doesn't necessarily mean more power, but it does mean the ability to run some of those "special effects" discussed earlier in the thread in a better capacity on the Wii U than is currently believed.

^^/
curl-6 said:

You cannot just use PS360 code and expect it to work on the WII U. The code is different for each platforms except for the X1 and PC. Even if the code were different it doesn't matter much because most game developers do not focus on low level programming for the most part. Often times they will at best use middlewares such as Libraries and APIs. Just because the WII U has a different architecture compared to last generation platforms doesn't excuse it seeing as how it's easier to program on the WII U than it is the PS360 so with the delay of watch dogs on the WII U there really isn't any excuse as to why the WII U version shouldn't be better than the last generation HD twins.

No, it isn't. If they all came out at the same time maybe, but devs have had almost a decade of  experience with PS3/360 and have tailored their engines so intimately to these systems that development for them is now incredibly easy.

The Wii U, on the other hand, has only been out a year. Nintendo's poor documentation and devkits are legendary, and devs couldn't be bothered overhauling their tried and true PS3/360 engines to accomodate Wii U. As a result, getting the most out of Wii U is quite a bit more challenging than getting the most out of the already maxed out PS3/360.

ZyroXZ2 said:

Nobody's cherrypicking anything or ignoring anything.  Lame comments about how Sony could have said 15 or 20 are obviously not worth debating, since they COULD have also said 5, which is definitely in line with the numbers.  I clearly linked all the things you needed to see that the PS4 isn't 10 times as powerful as the PS3.  With Sony's track record of their overstatement of power, I have no reason to toss out the numbers that state otherwise, AND believe their PR statements.

I will always get accused of being a Nintendo fanboy by the simple action of defending them, that's not surprising in the least.  People who can see through me a little better can tell the difference.  I'm clearly defending Nintendo because of the unfair amount of negative press and "hardcore gamer" smack talk the Wii U unjustly receives, mostly using the PS4's "power" as some sort of reference or standard.  These same individuals are the people buying into the marketing of the PS4, and just gobble up anything Sony says about their system.  Both the negativity towards the Wii U and the overhyped PS4 information need to stop.

If my show was a PS4 show, I would have most likely written my blog article to Sony fanboys about why they need to stop exaggerating the power the PS4 has.  It's the most powerful of the three consoles, but it's not going to magically alter graphics to anyone with an unbiased eye.

You're clearly more vested in the PS4, despite everything you say.  And though you take my information as an attack in the PS4, it's more of a "debunking" than anything else.  I have very real expectations of all systems, that's why you don't see me praising any of them.  And no, it's not because I'm a PC gamer, but admittedly, PC gaming does open ones eyes about "graphics".  Assuming, of course, a high-end or enthusiast rig is being used.

Now I know why JoeTheBro was dissappointed ...

How do you know what's inline with the numbers when your seriously conspiring against Sony's statements ? You don't have anything claiming that the PS4 ISN'T 10x more powerful than the PS3. BTW that was NVIDIA's claim that the RSX had 2 Tflops NOT Sony. (AKA the guys that made your GTX 670's ...)  http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_21111.html Blame Nvidia's PR not Sony's!

Maybe if you had taken off the goggles and put some thinking caps on you might actually have an idea of what's going on. How is the negative press unfair when nintendo themselves puts out a system with an abysmal image ? Maybe those "hardcore gamers" aren't getting screwed in the back by Sony because they have modest PR compared to last time. The overhyping of the PS4 may need to tone down but the negativity towards the WII U is absolutely deserved.

Such as shame that you would resort to fighting in the console wars and I had better respect for neutral PC gamers but what you suggested just shows that your trapped in the console wars. How don't you have unbiased eye when you only just realized that pikmin 3 had edges galore when I pointed it out ? You don't seem to appreciate those "fine details" compared to other PC gamers like Pemalite and myself. 

Wow, getting defensive here are we ? That's because you clearly ARE attacking the PS4 and you haven't debunked anything. You don't have ANY real expectations of the systems because your uneducated about hardware in general. Even if you used your a "PC gamer" card it still doesn't mean that your analysis will be relevant considering that some PC gamers like Pemalite will know more than others. 

curl-6 said:
curl-6 said:

No, it isn't. If they all came out at the same time maybe, but devs have had almost a decade of  experience with PS3/360 and have tailored their engines so intimately to these systems that development for them is now incredibly easy.

The Wii U, on the other hand, has only been out a year. Nintendo's poor documentation and devkits are legendary, and devs couldn't be bothered overhauling their tried and true PS3/360 engines to accomodate Wii U. As a result, getting the most out of Wii U is quite a bit more challenging than getting the most out of the already maxed out PS3/360.

sorry a console with double the ram and a Newer more powerful gpu is harder to program for, that doesn't make any sense, it doesn't matter if they have a decade of experiance, they had less then 512 mb of ram to work, vs wiiu having 1 gb, not to mention a year later and ports are still inferior, developers have made it clear that PS4 is much easier to develope for then 360/ps3. i could understand your point if you were talking about making games look much better then 360/ps3 but your talking about matching 360/ps3 with more ram and a more powerful gpu.

starworld said:

sorry a console with double the ram and a Newer more powerful gpu is harder to program for, that doesn't make any sense, it doesn't matter if they have a decade of experiance, they had less then 512 mb of ram to work, vs wiiu having 1 gb, not to mention a year later and ports are still inferior, developers have made it clear that PS4 is much easier to develope for then 360/ps3.

LMAO. Take a look back at launch PS3/360 games, then 2013 games, and tell me with a straight face that a decade of experience doesn't matter.

Wii U ports are still inferior cos they are still lazy rushjobs where PS3/360 assets are copy+pasted and the bare minimum of optimization is done. There has not been a single game built from the ground up for Wii U to push its hardware yet, therefore we have not seen its real capacity.