By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is Market Domination?

Oh great. I get called "low-class" because you are unable to read properly? Read what you quote and read what I wrote, nowhere did I said "N64" and when you presss "Quote", you quote what was on there, and what was on there was "GC", not "N64". Although I do give you credit for trying to claim something as weak as this.
>Once the Dreamcast numbers are included it apparently lowers the PS2 to around 68% which by your definition is not domination.

Like I said before, PS2 is still selling in all regions, while xbox and GC are officially dead, in the end of PS2's lifetime, (in 2-3 years), it will gain over 70% of market share.

>. The console market is not the same kind of market as iTunes and eMusic, its not a retail market like Walmart & Target.

Did I say it's the same kind? I simply listed examples of what domination is outside of console wars? I didn't have to pick eMusic, I could've picked Napster, but Itune owns 83% of ALL online music downloads (not vs eMusic) and Walmart owns over 70% of all DVD downloads (not just vs Target).

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

king of no class xD

Joke.

hahah dont cry fellow nerds.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:
king of no class xD

Joke.

hahah dont cry fellow nerds.

lol, MUST...NOT..CRY!!!

nah, I don't mind being called 'low class', but not because of this, the guy CLEARLY quoted me saying "GC", but refused to apologize for misreading it. Geez. 

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
RolStoppable said:
kingofwale said:
Oh great. I get called "low-class" because you are unable to read properly? Read what you quote and read what I wrote, nowhere did I said "N64" and when you presss "Quote", you quote what was on there, and what was on there was "GC", not "N64". Although I do give you credit for trying to claim something as weak as this.

At first you had in fact written "N64" in your post before you edited it. When Sqrl opened the thread it still showed "N64", by the time he read the replies and hit the quote button under your post, you had already made your edit, but Sqrl didn't pay attention to it and was still assuming that your post would read "N64" and not "GC".

You had written "N64" and Sqrl corrected your mistake under the assumption that you haven't made an edit to your post. A minor missunderstanding.

No need to make this a bigger deal than it is. Now proceed with the topic of what market domination is.

I honestly don't remember writing N64, nor do i remember changing it. 

and the fact is, even if I did, it was CLEARLY a typo, go to out of ways to call people 'low-class' was just silly to say the least.

Still though, I don't remember doing it. *shrugs*

selnor
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
1) Oh great. I get called "low-class" because you are unable to read properly? Read what you quote and read what I wrote, nowhere did I said "N64" and when you presss "Quote", you quote what was on there, and what was on there was "GC", not "N64". Although I do give you credit for trying to claim something as weak as this.
>Once the Dreamcast numbers are included it apparently lowers the PS2 to around 68% which by your definition is not domination.

2) Like I said before, PS2 is still selling in all regions, while xbox and GC are officially dead, in the end of PS2's lifetime, (in 2-3 years), it will gain over 70% of market share.

>. The console market is not the same kind of market as iTunes and eMusic, its not a retail market like Walmart & Target.

3) Did I say it's the same kind? I simply listed examples of what domination is outside of console wars? I didn't have to pick eMusic, I could've picked Napster, but Itune owns 83% of ALL online music downloads (not vs eMusic) and Walmart owns over 70% of all DVD downloads (not just vs Target).

1) First off, I read it perfectly fine. Second, if you click quote the text that ends up in your editor is whatever is in the database when you click not what was displayed on the page you were reading. So any edits made between loading the page and clicking quote would be added to the editor. I am reasonably certain it said N64 feel free to disagree but I think my credability is better than yours and I simply have no reason to lie about something so insignificant...as I said its a side point.

The low class comment was more to do with addressing the bit I crossed out which is definitely low class...if someone says something then corrects themselves it is extremely rude to jump on them for it after they've admitted it was a mistake. Fortunately that part you cannot deny. And ironically it turned out I was indeed correct...although for the wrong reasons.

2) As for the PS2 who cares what it will be at a year from now? What it has done right now is domination and any criteria that doesn't recognize that is folly if you ask me....or if you were to ask any reasonable person....

3) Yes, by comparing the two you are saying that it is a valid comparison and for them to be valid they have to be the same kind of markets. So either you don't think your examples are valid or you were saying they were the same kind of market...you can backpeddle on the issue if you like but thats the cold hard truth based on cold hard logic.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

*finishes his taco he crossed the border to get this morning*
Well that was fun.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Well, a 50% share is enough if there are 3 competitors. If 2 competitors share the other 50%, chances are that it allows the Wii to have sold significantly more than both of them individually.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

I personal would say, having at least 80% more than you should have on a tie market.

That would mean in current console war about 60% total market share.

Domination in a console sense could simply be having an overwhelming majority of *software* sold through your system. This implies that most developers are making software for your system - which in turn also leads to domination.

Probably 3:1 (as a minimum) against every other direct competitor.

I say the DS is easily dominating the PSP - but its still too early for the Wii. It has dominated to date - but its still early days.

The best thing that could happen for Ninty (with the Wii) is MS make a strong comeback this year - and outsell the PS3 over the course of the year. That would almost certainly hand this generation to Ninty on a platter.

The worst thing, would be for MS to pack it in - and exit the industry. Which would be the best thing for Sony.

EDIT - Welcome back Kwaad! :) 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Actually, with the console wars being a "First past the post" voting system, it'd benefit Nintendo if the PS3 continues to slightly outsell 360 on a weekly basis. After all, any votes that aren't for the console in 2nd place are "really for the winner". Once 360 and PS3 are tied in global sales, the gap between the Wii and the competition will be too far apart.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here