By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Why was Twilight so special? (Other similar films failing)

This week saw Vampire Academy open to a wimper grossing 4.1 million in the US.  This marks yet another failed attempt by film studios to chase the elusive "Twilight audience".

Beautiful Creatures, The Mortal instruments and even Meyer's other book The Hose all failed to capture even a bit of Twilight's insane popularity despite being roughly the same demographic being marketed to. Why is it these films barely make their production costs (ignoring marketing costs) while Twilight managed to be an absolute juggernaut?

Film Gross World Wide

The Mortal Instruments - 90 million

The Host - 48 million

Beautiful Creatures - 60 million

Cirque du Freak - 39 million

The Seeker - 31 million

Compare thes enumbers to Twilight

Twilight - 392 million

Twilight: New Moon - 709 million

Twilight: Eclipse - 698 million

Twilight: Breaking Dawn 1 - 712 million

Twilight: Breaking Dawn 2 - 829 million

For comparison sake

Twilight (5 films) - 3,340 million

Others (5 films) - 268 million

So, even if you combined all five of these films they combine do not come close to Twilight's weakest performing entry. Why is this? What made this series so special? Was it a perfect storm of timing?  Yet, time and again studios are finding no luck capturing it.  You may argue Hunger Games or Harry Potter are examples, but I tend to find those have a blance of gender in fans while Twilight and the others list above skew female. I guess we will see if "Divergent" can break through come March, but it is going against the wind right now.

Around the Network

The books where hugely popular to begin with.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

SnakeDrake said:
The books where hugely popular to begin with.

I suppose an add on question could be why is that? Many of the films that tried to follow in its wake were popular book series. Book to film wise even with a discrepency they fall short of Twilight film numbers.  I am just curious why a massive audience created this phenomenon and then has passed on everything else that has similar characteristcs.   

Its cause the 12 year old girls on their periods wanted some attention and they believed that twlight represented their false emotions

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

If you want to compare with another movie, compare it with hunger games.

The same company is behind both books and movies.

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:

I mentioned how Hunger Games actually draws male audience pretty well, much like Harry Potter.  Twilight is very much a female series in terms of demographics.

Are Summit and Lionsgate the same? Honestly not sure.

Here's a question then, is "50 shades of Grey" the next big female audience film series? I believe the book sales are greater than even Twilight.

Because it was write over a woman's view of the facts...

People loves these romantic things like "my blood pressure drops when I see him"... the book and movies are in a woman optical view of everything.

I guess it is the reason.

Augen said:
RenCutypoison said:

I mentioned how Hunger Games actually draws male audience pretty well, much like Harry Potter.  Twilight is very much a female series in terms of demographics.

Are Summit and Lionsgate the same? Honestly not sure.

Here's a question then, is "50 shades of Grey" the next big female audience film series? I believe the book sales are greater than even Twilight.

50 Shades of Grey will flop. I've heard from some sites that they are cutting some of the explict scenes and many of the audience still don't like the main cast members. The thing that also made Twilight movies so popular with the young female demographic was Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner. 

I never understood. I thought they were terrible movies.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Its cause the 12 year old girls on their periods wanted some attention and they believed that twlight represented their false emotions

My post have way more text but you did a way better summary