By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Average Review Rating 100%

Chrizum said:

IGN said it wasn't nearly as good as MP3 or SMG, so I'm guessing they will give a 9.2 max, probably a 9.0.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think IGN will give a 7.5 for SSBB. IGN is a bitch when it comes to control, they butchered Guilty Gear for the Wii because Wiimote control was bad, whereas classic control was perfect. BUT, they said, not everyone has a classic controller so we can't take it with us in the review.

It's already known SSBB doesn't control well with the Wii controls, so IGN will probably give a 7 or so for gameplay instead of a 9.5 when using classic control.

Agree, they could do that too, but would be absolutely unfair. If they are judging in the default or in the worse possible scenario, they should review PS3/360 games with composite cables and SDTVs, because not everyone has HDMI/VGA/Component cables and HDTVs. While we are at that, they should remove the Hard-drive from the 360, because not everyone has one.

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:
Wow, it seems like anything that's an online shooter or Nintendo-made becomes grossly overrated. I hate how only Nintendo is allowed to have to have variety. This will be the only fighting game to score 90% this entire generation, which will be idiotic.

You're right, this is a typical 78% game. I'm glad we're the only sane people in this thread because we obviously at least played the damn game.

Chrizum said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Wow, it seems like anything that's an online shooter or Nintendo-made becomes grossly overrated. I hate how only Nintendo is allowed to have to have variety. This will be the only fighting game to score 90% this entire generation, which will be idiotic.

You're right, this is a typical 78% game. I'm glad we're the only sane people in this thread because we at least played the damn game.

I didn't say or even mention anything about this games score. 100% is an overrated scor for any game ever made. There's not a single game that is perfect in every aspect in all of gaming. I don't need to play this game to know it's not a perfect game. I know it, and so do you. If you want to believe that the game is a perfect game, that's fine, but expect everyone to agree with you, because your opinion is the minority. 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Riot Of The Blood said:
Chrizum said:
Riot Of The Blood said:

You're right, this is a typical 78% game. I'm glad we're the only sane people in this thread because we at least played the damn game.

I didn't say or even mention anything about this games score. 100% is an overrated scor for any game ever made. There's not a single game that is perfect in every aspect in all of gaming. I don't need to play this game to know it's not a perfect game. I know it, and so do you. If you want to believe that the game is a perfect game, that's fine, but expect everyone to agree with you, because your opinion is the minority.

Let me show where you failed, then. "This will be the only fighting game to score 90% this entire generation, which will be idiotic."

So 90% is grossly overrated for this game? We both know the average score for this game won't stay 100%, so quit acting like a jerk.

Chrizum said:

Let me show where you failed, then. "This will be the only fighting game to score 90% this entire generation, which will be idiotic."

So 90% is grossly overrated for this game? We both know the average score for this game won't stay 100%, so quit acting like a jerk.

Scores like 100% and 97% are overrated for any game. The theme of my post -- and my iconic argument -- was that only Nintendo's games and shooters are getting high scores. 90% is in no way overrated for this game, but there are other fighting games that deserve a similar score. Smash Brothers does outperform other Fighting game to the point where it's the only game of the genre to score 90%.  There are other hih quality fighting games out there as well.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

Wow...must be a great game...
A rating of A+!! :)

not surprised w. the nintendo power ratings lol!!

It will definitely be the highest rated Smash Bros-game so far. But I doubt it will stay on the top 10 at gamerankings.com
My prediction 94.734 %

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

Riot Of The Blood said:
Chrizum said:

Scores like 100% and 97% are overrated for any game. The theme of my post -- and my iconic argument -- was that only Nintendo's games and shooters are getting high scores. 90% is in no way overrated for this game, but there are other fighting games that deserve a similar score. Smash Brothers does outperform other Fighting game to the point where it's the only game of the genre to score 90%. There are other hih quality fighting games out there as well.

Smash Bros is not like other fighters though. It has a ton of customization, stage building, huge adventure game, etc, etc, etc...it's a huge improvement over the last game...a bigger improvement than any fighting game I've ever seen. Soul Caliber 4 to 5 will not be as revolutionary, but nor should it be, we wouldn't want to mess up a good thing. But that's the problem that fighters face with reviewers...they tend to give sequels lower scores, even if the fans only want an evolution, nothing hugely different.

With Smash though...the more the better, as long as the fighting mechanics are basically the same, Nintendo's free to add tons of crap to the game for the better. I haven't seen a 10 hour adventure game using Street Fighter or Tekken mechanics, or a Mortal Kombat "make your own arena" yet.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Wow - you are all being a little harsh, no?

I think it has a real chance of topping Galaxy - which is pretty scary in itself.

- online play
- huge game modes
- 4 controller styles
- hardcore mags will love it
- huge roster
- most famous game characters from the industry (including Snake + Pokemon's)

Look at a potential IGN breakdown:

PRESENTATION - 10
GFX - 10
SND - 10
GAMEPLAY - ??
LASTING APPEAL - 10

I can't see how any of the categories I have as 10, will not be 10. The question is the gameplay score. I can't imagine anything under 9 - maybe a 9.5? Or maybe a straight 10?

We might be looking at the first '10' from IGN ever. Depends how many "little" flaws are in the game I would guess.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Chrizum said:

IGN said it wasn't nearly as good as MP3 or SMG, so I'm guessing they will give a 9.2 max, probably a 9.0.

EDIT: Scratch that, I think IGN will give a 7.5 for SSBB. IGN is a bitch when it comes to control, they butchered Guilty Gear for the Wii because Wiimote control was bad, whereas classic control was perfect. BUT, they said, not everyone has a classic controller so we can't take it with us in the review.

It's already known SSBB doesn't control well with the Wii controls, so IGN will probably give a 7 or so for gameplay instead of a 9.5 when using classic control.

Doesn't control well with Wii-mote?? What are you talking about? I love the nunchuck, Wii-mote combo (Will never touch the gamecube controller for this game any more), And they really can't grade it down because the controls are bad on the Wii-mote, there is plenty of ways to control this game, all set-ups are possible (gamecube, classic, only Wii-mote and nunchuck wii-mote)