By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which company's future looks more dim? Nintendo or Sony?

Which company has a bleaker future?

Sony 554 56.02%

Nintendo 198 20.02%

Why no MS...... 234 23.66%

Total:986
Lawlight said:
Landguy said:
Sony for sure. They have multiple divisions and almost all of them are troubled...

3 out of 7 is almost all of them?

Nintendo is in big, big trouble. It's clear that there are no market for their console and that their hanheld segment is rapidly dwindling. Where else can they go?

If the rest of those 4/7 divisions were doing so great, it should have made that billion+ loss a lot smaller... Simple fact is Sony loses billions per year, either way you want to slice it, dice it, or spin it. The amount Nintendo lost is pocket change compared to Sony losses. They sell buildings and STILL post billions lost. Nintendo is in big big trouble? Ok, but, Sony is in extremely high risk of bankruptcy. Easily, no question, Sony is by far, in much worse, unstable condition. No doubt about it.

Around the Network

Sony.

Playstation isnt big enough to keep sony moving forward alone and with the continued losses they make it is much more plausible for them to go bankrupt than nintendo.  PS would then prob be sold off to another company and their first party sutdios would likely be sold seperately.  PS would never really be the same again and depending on who buys them depends on if they have the money to rebuild the PS brand.

Nintendo on the other hand is gaming only "atm".  A division which just came off of huge profits and a division that is doing relatively well with the 3DS.  WiiU on the other hand isnt doing so hot but it would take them much longer to go out of business than Sony.  Nintendo still can turn things around with the right decisions moving forward.

Sony on the other hand will need their other products to bring in much more money which means they can not only rely on PS.  Honestly with all the losses they have made it kind of shocks me at the money they can even put into the PS brand.  Props for that really.  Even if their business as a whole is pretty wretched they do good int he gaming world.  Would be sad to see them go if it were to ever come to that.

vivster said:

If they go bancrupt there will be numerous investors standing by to keep up the business.

If that were to happen PS would not be anywhere near the same as they are today.  Different management and likely would have to rebuild the brand.  It would be like saying Nintendo got bought out by apple.  Sure you may get Nintendo's name but it would not be anything like the Nintendo we know today.

If PS got bought out which will happen "if" sony ever goes bankrupt  you are looking at huge changes and an uncertainty of ever having another console like Sony's PS, or games like Sony's games.

You would need the right company to buy PS.

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Landguy said:
Sony for sure. They have multiple divisions and almost all of them are troubled...

Nintendo is in big, big trouble. It's clear that there are no market for their console and that their hanheld segment is rapidly dwindling. Where else can they go?

Nintendo isnt in big big trouble, they ****ed up on there home console sure but that doesn't mean its going down. They just announced they are expanding from just video games, i dont kno wat company in big big trouble would expand their company if it weren't possible :p

A company that has billions in cash because they got lucky with casuals? I think they would be a good candidate to expand into non-wearables and other products that are still a secret.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Landguy said:

Nintendo isnt in big big trouble, they ****ed up on there home console sure but that doesn't mean its going down. They just announced they are expanding from just video games, i dont kno wat company in big big trouble would expand their company if it weren't possible :p

A company that has billions in cash because they got lucky with casuals? I think they would be a good candidate to expand into non-wearables and other products that are still a secret.

Sorry, but they had billions before the wii, not sure where you got your info. they made more money off the GameCube, a system that only sold 22 million, than Sony did with 80 million ps3's....

Around the Network

just tagging to read tomorrow when i get up. some good enjoyable posts to get a chuckle out of.

vivster said:
theRepublic said:
vivster said:
Landguy said:

Well Sony can at least lose the divisions that don't make any profit. Nintendo practically only has one division(if you go by their archaic stance that hardware and software belong together) so if that starts losing too much money it's over.

But the most important thing here is that none of those two will stop making consoles and games. If they go bancrupt there will be numerous investors standing by to keep up the business.

Yeah, who else would be dumb enough to go by that philosophy?

[Removed Apple Logo]

Congratulation. You've come up with a whole one example of a company for which this approach works. And the fact that Apple's and Nintendo's business, market and target audience is absolutely comparable makes your argument even stronger.

So what example of a company do you have that makes both hardware and software, but they don't go together?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Justagamer said:
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Landguy said:

Sorry, but they had billions before the wii, not sure where you got your info. they made more money off the GameCube, a system that only sold 22 million, than Sony did with 80 million ps3's....

I'd like to have link to show that they had billions before the Wii. Also, pretty sure the profits they made back then was thanks to the Gameboy.

Edit: Seems like you're right - they had billions before the Wii came around and are, somehow, now worse off than the GC days.

Lawlight said:
Justagamer said:
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Landguy said:

I'd like to have link to show that they had billions before the Wii. Also, pretty sure the profits they made back then was thanks to the Gameboy.

First you say they got lucky and made their billions from the casuals, then you say it was from the gameboy. Spin it whatever way you like, they still made it/have it! Lol. They made money on NES/snes/n64/GameCube/wii/gameboy/gameboy color/gameboy advance/ds/and 3ds. They've had billions since before the wii. Case closed. It's a fact they had it. But since you're so sure they didn't, where's your link showing they didn't have billions? I thought so, there isn't one.

Sony, obviously.

If you look at it purely in a gaming market sense, Nintendo has billions to bleed through and a handheld market they dominate. Sony is in financial trouble and that could really affect their gaming division. Look at the losses they suffered with PS3 and even the start of the PS2 gen.

Outside of gaming, Nintendo still has billions of dollars in str8 cash homie sitting in the bank, so they are good. Sony could also be ok here. Even if they have to shed off every division but one, they make tons of money selling life insurance.