By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 64 was the best Nintendo console ever

kirby007 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'd pick SNES. It's arguably the best console ever made. Great controller, great durable hardware, and a software library for the ages. N64 is a great console, and probably my personal favorite, but SNES is the better system.

Also, I disagree with the inflammatory language in the OP. Disregarding three generations of platform development as "fancy rehashes" or "casual crap" doesn't help your credibility.

I might have worded it better but what gc/wii/wii u was actually as refreshing as ario 64 or banjo kazooi or OoT

wii: motioncontrols didn't add enough

There's no reasonable way to one up the birth of 3D gaming as we know it in terms of innovation, but you're not going to hear me say that one of Nintendo's least successful consoles is somehow the best of them all. It can also be argued that NES has an equal amount, if not more, innovative gaming experiences for its time while also dominating the industry.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
JGarret said:
kirby007 said:
JGarret said:
kirby, when did you start gaming?

I had an nes

But, was that back when it was the current console, in the 80s?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

F0X said:
kirby007 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'd pick SNES. It's arguably the best console ever made. Great controller, great durable hardware, and a software library for the ages. N64 is a great console, and probably my personal favorite, but SNES is the better system.

Also, I disagree with the inflammatory language in the OP. Disregarding three generations of platform development as "fancy rehashes" or "casual crap" doesn't help your credibility.

I might have worded it better but what gc/wii/wii u was actually as refreshing as ario 64 or banjo kazooi or OoT

There's no reasonable way to one up the birth of 3D gaming as we know it in terms of innovation, but you're not going to hear me say that one of Nintendo's least successful consoles is somehow the best of them all. It can also be argued that NES has an equal amount, if not more, innovative gaming experiences for its time while also dominating the industry.

sales =/=quality

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

rolltide101x said:
supernihilist said:
ethomaz said:
supernihilist said:
ethomaz said:
YES

Best console
Best controller
Best games
Most powerful (Ironically)

It wasnt the most powerfull. It was in theory, but in practice all those "modern effects" it had made performance cripple. I think they were about on par, being N64 the most advanced feature wise.

It didn't have CGI fmv but 3D graphics was always better on N64... it was a gen of difference over PS1 or Saturn.

oops sorry, i though you had knowledge on the matter.  i guess you are too young

I do not know the actual power of the PS1, Saturn, or N64 but I do know the N64 games looked the best graphically in my opinion.

N64 games had small textures stretched out on big surfaces because of several problems one of the was the ridiculous amount of texture cache. The unified memory pool had awful latency. The co-processor couldnt work by itself. It had no video memory, or video chip at all. It was difficult to program for. It was more expensive to program for.

Nice effects like texture antialiasing, perspective correction, trilinear mip mapping interpolation, HW lighting and such were great but the performance crippled.the console had severe design  limitations due to having to sell it at a low price. Plus most of those more modern effects the N64 pulled could be faked on the PSX at some degree.

It was more powerful when used at full, but it was expensive and hard work, sadly barely nobody tried besides Nintendo, Rare, Acclaim, Midway, Lucasarts and Boss. The games that those devs delivered really were something to behold, and a great use of N64s capabilities.

The overall average performance of both was similar. Just look at multipalts. Most looked the same besides the heavy streching of textres and antialiasing on the N64, and the texture warping and pixelation on the PSX.

supernihilist said:

Oops sorry, i though you had knowledge on the matter.  i guess you are too young

I'm from Atari age... N64 I was at 16-18 years old... 3D was unbeatable on N64... more details, polygons, bigger scenarios, etc... the only issue was the lack of a big storage media like CD... so the cutscenes were ingame because they didn't have space to use FMV.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
F0X said:
kirby007 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

sales =/=quality

Then provide an alternative measurement of quality and let me explain to you how subjective and possibly arbitrary it is.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

- Worst controller
- Cartridges when it was already time to move on
- No Metroid
- No Square games
- No Yoshi I just remembered Yoshi's Story, so I'll give you that
- Shitty third-party support
- First-party is strong, if you like plataformers

Sorry, try again. SNES was the last Nintendo's console to have strong third-party support, and therefore their best console BY A LONG SHOT.

kirby007 said:
JGarret said:
kirby007 said:
JGarret said:
kirby, when did you start gaming?

I had an nes

But, was that back when it was the current console, in the 80s?

I see.It´s a very different experience than when you have a system and play its games when it´s still in its respective generation.

In 94 not only was the NES generation over, but the 16 bit gen was close to its end too.

I disagree entirely.

The N64 had some awesome 1st/2nd party support, but other than that it was worthless imho. Hell, imho it never got any great fighters or RPG's except Ogre Battle. And those were two of my main genres as a teenager. But I did love the shit out of virtually everything Rareware put out on the console.

Compare that to the SNES, where you got imho superior 1st/2nd party titles, AND amazing 3rd party support.

ethomaz said:

supernihilist said:

Oops sorry, i though you had knowledge on the matter.  i guess you are too young

I'm from Atari age... N64 I was at 16-18 years old... 3D was unbeatable on N64... more details, polygons, bigger scenarios, etc... the only issue was the lack of a big storage media like CD... so the cutscenes were ingame because they didn't have space to use FMV.

so you dont know a shitto of 5th gen tech?