By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have microsoft damaged console gaming platform?

MS just hurt themselves with those restrictions. I still meet people who still think X1 doesn't allow used games. But many people have gone on to purchase PS4s even some of my Xbox friends because they didn't like the direction MS wanted to take the industry in and didn't want kinect. But it's not as if customers aren't informed. They do their research before spending hundreds of dollars on consoles.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Wait if they dont visit those sites, how did they know about the drm then?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The only issue I'd have with Microsoft's behavior in the past couple gens, is the same issue I'd have with EA, Capcom, Sony, and virtually all other developers/manufacturers. They saw that they could make a ton of money by serving up map packs and so on, and decided that allowing users to make their own maps could potentially impact those sales. So, they moved to nip that in the bud and removed map making tools.

They saw that they could charge people, per person, for mp access, when in the past you could band together with a group of friends to rent a server and run whatever game you wanted for a fraction of the cost each/month. So, they removed dedicated server.

They saw that mods could impact their sales of skins, clothing, and other lame crap (and that many modders were capable of producing far better offerings, for free), so they removed mod tools, while saying it was a way to prevent people from cheating (great job).

All of the above is something I hold the current manufacturers and developers responsible for, and for every gamer who helped show them it could be a profitable model.  The above were virtually industry standards for every multiplayer game, pre-PS3/360.  And now they're the exception, not the rule.

kirby007 said:
Wait if they dont visit those sites, how did they know about the drm then?

I asked one of those guys and they said they heard from other people. I guess this is how rumors or twisted meaning of a truth spreads. He said if PS4 allows used games then he will get it later.