By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have microsoft damaged console gaming platform?

Before you guys start bashing me please listen what I have to say. What I am going to say is based on situations or people whom I have faced. This might be different for you guys. And please dont bring pc comparison here. This thread is strictly related with consoles.

Even today I meet with people who thinks Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U blocks used games. The surprise inclusion is PS4 and Wii U but they fall under the same category from the point of view of normal people. We all know the negative reaction of Xbox One's DRM and microsofts backtrack. I will give kudos to microsoft for taking away the DRM but the damage might be too much. The people I am talking about are normal gamers and dont visit n4g or gamespot or neogaf. They get games for fun and play it. They are not casual gamers but they are not as active in websites as we are. They still think current gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One and Wii U) blocks used games. I have a hard time to explain the situation to them. I sometimes argue with them and some understand. Rest of them said, I would rather stick with my ps3 or xbox 360. Some say, then I will get everything from steam. Many people are still uninformed and this is still damaging console gaming platform.

Now I know used games are damaging for companies. We cant blame them for enforcing DRM and they operate to make money. But the main culprit is not used games, its companies like gamestop. Most of the games in my collection are brand new games and I sometimes get a game more than one to support them. But companies like keeps selling used games over brand new ones and hampering game developers. Microsoft could have brought something new to prevent used games. But in the end they damaged not only themselves but also console gaming platform. We all know Sony, microsoft or nintendo and all other publishers want to stop used games. But why I am dragging microsoft here? Because they are the first one who bought this restrictions first.

What do you guys think?

Around the Network

I'm sorry. I really can't justify the argument about used game sales. Does it hurt the company financially, yes. But removing it from game consoles the way MS was gonna do it. Was just a jackass move. And hypocritical. Since everything else in this world can be/is sold used all the freaking time. But for some reason, games are always whined on. Just because things will move digital. Doesn't mean Johnny will buy the game new. Eventually, the digital store for the console will have to allow sales like stores do.

Why did sales start in stores? There's a cerntain amount of people that won't buy things at full price. No matter what. Sales cater to those people. And you're back to what we do now. Just no middle man. But profits will still be complained about. Now, the digital system has to be fair to the consumer, rather than the company. How many damn rules did MS DRM have? They themselves didn't know what the limitations where. All a confusing mess. They caused the confusion.

Back to your question. Yes, MS did some damage to the uninformed. Same goes to the Wii U and people thinking its a add-on to Wii. But MS wouldn't care. All game companies know that there will be people in this world. Weather young or old. That want to own their stuff. I am one of them. And will lose that percentage if everything becomes 100% digital. I use steam. But I still buy the disc to install them. And have a box to show what game I have. Now another option that could happen is if physical still has its market, that keeps making money. CD's are still produced. And they're 32 years old. They outlasted VHS. Companies will keep making those things. Its two sources of income.

And who knows. If phsyical sticks around long enough. Solid media could replace discs. And we remove load times. Consoles physical sizes would be smaller. No drive noises. HDD partial or full installations wouldn't be needed for people that use solid media. No need to log into your account to get your save from cloud. Hope over with your card and pop it in your friends system.

Digital Comic sales have started to slow. And print is still here. This is a perfect example where both sides work fine together. But MS was stupid to not have everything lined out in the meeting. My god, it was like they threw that together 1 week before they announced. And they where building this thing years in advance.

They damaged their own brand. They didn't damage the others in any way.

No. They are opening the gates to the future... the revolution is there... some user yet defends the MS DRM and wants it back.

Sad.

archer9234 said:

I'm sorry. I really can't justify the argument about used game sales. Does it hurt the company financially, yes. But removing it from game consoles the way MS was gonna do it. Was just a jackass move. And hypocritical. Since everything else in this world can be/is sold used all the freaking time. But for some reason, games are always whined on. Now, the digital system has to be fair to the consumer, rather than the company. How many damn rules did MS DRM have? They themselves didn't know what the limitations where. All a confusing mess. They caused the confusion.

Back to your question. Yes, MS did some damage to the uninformed. Same goes to the Wii U and people thinking its a add-on to Wii. But MS wouldn't care. All game companies know that there will be people in this world. Weather young or old. That want to own their stuff. I am one of them. And will lose that percentage if everything becomes 100% digital. I use steam. But I still buy the disc to install them. And have a box to show what game I have. Now another option that could happen is if physical still has its market, that keeps making money. CD's are still produced. And they're 32 years old. They outlasted VHS. Companies will keep making those things. It two sources of income.

Digital Comic sales have started to slow. And print is still here. This is a perfect example where both sides work fine together. But MS was stupid to not have everything lined out in the meeting. My god, it was like they threw that together 1 week before they announced. And they where building this thing years in advance.

Amen to your words. I also like to own my games. I have purchased many games that are 4-5 times expensive in disk version compared to digital version (example, Okami HD). But like like to own them. I would take retail version of a game over digital at any day.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:

Many of my friends or collegues think PS4 also blocks used games and this is the reason they have NOT purchased PS4.

Edited.

daredevil.shark said:
J_Allard said:

Many of my friends or collegues think PS4 also blocks used games and this is the reason they have purchased PS4.

So they are terribly misinformed.

I actually like MS consoles, but honestly at the same time I think the game industry would be better off if they had simply stayed out of the business.

They basically forced Nintendo to go into a hyper casual route and really accelerated the console biz turning into a Western shooter/PC-genre fest.

And after all, the Playstation really never proved to be any threat to Windows at all ... really while they were obsessed with Sony, they should've instead been keeping an eye on Apple and Google. XBox as a brand overall really has done nothing but lose them money.

And quite honestly MS makes so much money off Windows ... any money the game division makes is just peanuts.

And perhaps Rare would still be around and in some respectable form today too if MS had never joined the biz. They don't need the money really. Nintendo does, Sony does. 

That's not to say MS doesn't make one helluva a gaming product, because they should be proud of their efforts with XBox ... but still I think generally speaking their entrance into the gaming biz has been negative.

daredevil.shark said:
archer9234 said:

I'm sorry. I really can't justify the argument about used game sales. Does it hurt the company financially, yes. But removing it from game consoles the way MS was gonna do it. Was just a jackass move. And hypocritical. Since everything else in this world can be/is sold used all the freaking time. But for some reason, games are always whined on. Now, the digital system has to be fair to the consumer, rather than the company. How many damn rules did MS DRM have? They themselves didn't know what the limitations where. All a confusing mess. They caused the confusion.

Back to your question. Yes, MS did some damage to the uninformed. Same goes to the Wii U and people thinking its a add-on to Wii. But MS wouldn't care. All game companies know that there will be people in this world. Weather young or old. That want to own their stuff. I am one of them. And will lose that percentage if everything becomes 100% digital. I use steam. But I still buy the disc to install them. And have a box to show what game I have. Now another option that could happen is if physical still has its market, that keeps making money. CD's are still produced. And they're 32 years old. They outlasted VHS. Companies will keep making those things. It two sources of income.

Amen to your words. I also like to own my games. I have purchased many games that are 4-5 times expensive in disk version compared to digital version (example, Okami HD). But like like to own them. I would take retail version of a game over digital at any day.

I've had many times where the phsycial copy was cheaper. I usually don't care about the steam games sales. And when train sim 2014 went back to its normal steam price. The physical copy of the disc was 2$ cheaper than steam. This happens moreso than you think. Lego Marvel Superheroes is $19.99 phsyical PC version.

daredevil.shark said:
J_Allard said:

Many of my friends or collegues think PS4 also blocks used games and this is the reason they have purchased PS4.

So your friends think the ps4 blocks used games yet they still purchased it anyways? They aren't kinda bright are they....