By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox one owners - enjoying bluray ?

S.Peelman said:
I know it doesn't really answer the OP, but we stopped using Blu-ray on console when we found out that the picture quality is... just bad compared to a dedicated blu-ray device. I doubt the XBone and PS4 are noticeably better at it, and suspect that our old LG device still runs laps around them like it does around the PS3.

I wouldn't ever buy a console for blu-ray.

I don't buy blu-ray movies anymore but I recall reading that the PS3 was one of the best players around.  Wasn't that long ago, either.

Around the Network
existenz2 said:

Genuine question - you didnt have this technology last gen.

Are you using your blu ray

-to load disc games(or are you digital only) ?

-to play HD blu-ray movies ?

what do you think of it ?

Really? Was PS3 the only bluray-player and do you assume that all Xbox One owners did not own a ps3?

existenz2 said:

Genuine question - you didnt have this technology last gen.

Are you using your blu ray

-to load disc games(or are you digital only) ?

-to play HD blu-ray movies ?

what do you think of it ?

Already had a couple seperate blu ray players but now the X1 is my primary living room blu ray player. Love the 24hz mode. Works great. I'm mostly digital only though.

When I finally get a ps4 or xbone I certainly don't intend to play blu-ray movies on it. That's physical wear to the optical drive which will likely be expensive to repair on either console. Laser's don't last forever. I've got a couple ps3's and a dedicated cheapo blu-ray player which I will use. While consoles have a high value and high repair costs its better to use low cost devices that perform just as well and cost very little to replace if necessary.

It's not just the optical drive you are wearing out you are also powering these consoles for even longer than normal which is more likely to lead to other hardware failure. Let's say the current ps4 and xbox one have an expected lifespan of 5000 hours before going faulty. That's a completely random figure I've just made up but if you played movies for 1000 hours on your ps4/xbone then clearly you have shortened its useful life for playing games, possibly taking a year off its expected life of 5 years. Same issue with any sort of video playback. Better to use low cost devices which are cheap to replace and consume far less power saving you money.