By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: No More Separate Gaming Platforms From Nintendo

Soundwave said:

Nope, I think the next set of Nintendo gaming hardware will "break" this tradition of the home console being the "main" platform. Next time around the handheld is going to be the main console. The home console will be dramatically reimagined to be a companion for the handheld. 

And yes, I think it will be a mind f*ck for certain Nintendo fans for a couple of days, but they'll get over their boo hooing, just like originally when Project: Revolution was announced most Nintendo fans played up the idea that it would have graphics parity with the PS3/360 just in SD resolution or some nonsense. 

They couldn't understand the concept behind the machine though until it was shown and explained to them clearly, that the Wii was a different console that didn't adhere to the preconceived notion of each console being a quantum leap in processing power but was focused on something else entirely. 

We'll see, but unlike the home console market (for which we still don't know what will happen), it's clear that the handheld market has shrunk in the last years. The 3DS won't sell anything close to the DS and also a lot less than the Advance, and that's whit the little competition that Vita offers.

Betting their success on that market could prove a very, very risky move. Very rewarding if the succeed, but catastrophic if they don't.

But you may be right, Nintendo is the kind of Co. that would take that risk.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I`m with Padib.
What will be similar is just the way both machines work.

Also, Nintendo can make the next handheld work as a gamepad and offer a cheaper SKU just with the console.

Shadow1980 said:
JEMC said:

We'll see, but unlike the home console market (for which we still don't know what will happen), it's clear that the handheld market has shrunk in the last years. The 3DS won't sell anything close to the DS and also a lot less than the Advance, and that's whit the little competition that Vita offers.

Has the handheld market shrunk, or were there simply bad decisions made that provided disincentives to buy the systems? The 3DS and Vita were both by far the most expensive handhelds ever at launch at $250, which probably didn't endear either system to consumers. Also, the Vita didn't have much in the way of games. I believe that a system's success is due primarily to things like price, games, and marketing.

That doesn't explain everything.

The price was an issue when the 3DS was launched, but after the price cuts it was no longer an issue. Specially now with the 2DS for 120 USD, and yet if we compare the yearly sales of the DS and the 3DS, this last one never gets close to the former.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php?reg=Global&ending=Yearly (disable the rest of consoles to only see them)

The fall is noticeable, specially in Europe.

I agree that the bad decisions, that both companies have made, have hurt the sales of both consoles, but it's also true that the market have shrunk. What we don't know yet it how much.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Makes sense. They are having trouble as it is supporting one platform, never mind two - without big breaks in between. A unified enviroment would help a lot in that regard.

Also, if the previous consoles didn't spell it before, Wii U almost certainly marks the end for dedicated home console from Nintendo. Because besides the Wii, they have been in a steady decline, post 5th gen. This is only a return to norm. Nintendo's home consoles have been dropping in interest from both the average consumer, as well as their loyal userbase.. so a big change needs to happen.

And by focusing on one platform, not only can they produce higher quality games, but also at a faster rate.. which can only be a good thing. For everyone. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see what Nintendo comes up with next, on their next gen system.

Soundwave said:

The sense I get is Nintendo would rather branch out into other businesses before trying to compete with Sony/MS. Iwata even said straight up they're not very good at competing, lol. I think internally Yamauchi laid down a business edict that Nintendo is to never get into a direct war with MS, they recoginize they are small potatoes and would not be able to compete head on. 

I think they're done with that concept ... that mythical Nintendo console that is competes directly with others died with the GameCube and it's never going to come back onto the table, we as gamers just need to enjoy the Marios/Zeldas as if that's not good enough for you, I don't think even Nintendo any qualms with anyone picking up a PS4 or XB1. Nintendo is just not interested in getting into that race anymore. 

While they may not be interested in getting into a SPENDING war with megacorps Sony and MS, if you think they're not interested in making MEGABUCKS and having their console be the highest selling and most profitable, think again. Just look to last gen for proof.