By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War Dev MOVING! Not Leaving! Upgrading!

God of War dev Sony Santa Monica Moving and Expanding

No news on whether this means the name will change.

God of War developer Sony Santa Monica is leaving Santa Monica for the Playa Vista neighbourhood near Los Angeles airport.

Variety reports that the new office will be "four or five times the size" of the current one, allowing room for a motion capture studio, more conference rooms and a better sound bay. The additional space will also permit the studio to bring fledgling indie devs into the space, such as Giant Sparrow, known for Unfinished Swan and thatgamecompany, known for Journey, Flow and Flower.

The studio houses 240 employees at the moment, though naturally now there's room for this to balloon. Studio head Shannon Studstill has indicated there are no plans for massive expansion in the near future. No decision has been revealed on whether the name will be changing too.

Current projects Sony Santa Monica is working on include an unannounced PS4 project, which very well may be the God of War franchise's debut on the platform, and also The Order: 1886 in conjunction with Ready at Dawn. Collaborative creation is also happening on Everybody's Gone to the Rapture with dev The Chinese Room, and Hohokum with developer Honeyslug.

Luke Karmali is IGN's UK Junior Editor. You too can revel in mediocrity by following him on Twitter.

FROM AROUND THE WEB

I don't know how to feel about this or if I am understanding it correctly. So is the GOW team leaving all together or are they just moving to a different location and bigger building? And if they are leaving what does this mean for the GOW franchise and for Sony?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

How is expanding and moving into a bigger building for collaboration bad? Title is misleading.

They are just moving to a bigger location that can hold 800 employees instead of just 240.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

More like God of War Dev Moving.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Saw this over on Gaf so you didn't trick me!

Honestly I hope they don't change the name, I got used to it, I like it, and they have an amazing logo. Also from the Gaf thread I've learned they move like 6 miles, so they could easily keep the name and it would still make sense.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network

Darn you guys are sharp lol. But nah when I read the title of the article I was confused as well that is why I posted it and had to ask. I was confused lol!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Great News, more 1st party IPs

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Really excited to think they are making a new IP for PS4 and not just another God of War.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

They will be required to change the name, because i am sure there is a law stating that a Studio's name must make sense.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Expanding to take on more staff and have there own Mo Cap suite.

Is this a trick question?