By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get why there's such a big power difference.

I'm not here for a flame war. I'm just wondering..

Prior to all of the evidence (Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, etc.) I kept saying here that there will be no power difference, that it would be small and no one would notice any of it. However, now I can't help but notice.

Last generation, PS3 came a year after the 360, so the power difference was expected and justified. This generation, PS4 and Xone came out at the same time but the power difference is still extremely noticeable, even though Xone is $100 more expensive. I don't get how you can use inferior graphical technology when you're more expensive and releasing at the same time. How can a major company like Microsoft make such a mistake? It's like Nvidia releasing a last gen piece of hardware at the same time as ATI releasing a brand new graphics card.

Around the Network

MS gambled while Sony went all out.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

If Sony went all out, doesn't it mean they gambled?

Its simple really... That extra $100 is for Kinect which also takes up cpu/gpu resources

On top of that, ps4 is all gddr5 vs xbox one is ddr3 + small amount of edram... Gddr5 is faster than ddr3 but eDRAM is way faster than both however, the x1 only has a small amount of eDRAM to work with plus the developers have to use it properly to make it effective which is why the ps4 is overall faster... (I might be a little off somewhere though)

I also heard something about the cpu clock speeds being slightly different but yea, I believe those are the main reasons... MS isn't doing that bad considering it costs $100 more so far

Its basically MS underestimating Sony which I think they had every right to do so based on the position Sony was in with the whole stock market and etc but in the end, Sony impressed all (except the PC master race) with the specs that they showed + price point

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Microsoft probably didn't expect Sony to go all out on specs.. Apparently the ps4 originally was supposed to launch with 4gb of ram.. And not gddr5. Microsoft was going a completely different direction which Sony forced them out of

mM
Around the Network
kupomogli said:
vivster said:

If Sony went all out, doesn't it mean they gambled?

Touché.

But still they were under pressure to not botch another launch so there was only one way for Sony, full steam ahead. So not really a gamble but a necessity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

leo-j said:
Microsoft probably didn't expect Sony to go all out on specs.. Apparently the ps4 originally was supposed to launch with 4gb of ram.. And not gddr5. Microsoft was going a completely different direction which Sony forced them out of

I've heard that it always used GDDR5 RAM, but it went from 2gb to 4gb to 8.

bugrimmar said:

I'm not here for a flame war. I'm just wondering..

Prior to all of the evidence (Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, etc.) I kept saying here that there will be no power difference, that it would be small and no one would notice any of it. However, now I can't help but notice.

Last generation, PS3 came a year after the 360, so the power difference was expected and justified. This generation, PS4 and Xone came out at the same time but the power difference is still extremely noticeable, even though Xone is $100 more expensive. I don't get how you can use inferior graphical technology when you're more expensive and releasing at the same time. How can a major company like Microsoft make such a mistake? It's like Nvidia releasing a last gen piece of hardware at the same time as ATI releasing a brand new graphics card.

MS has failed to realise the motion fad is over, and forced kinect with the system this drove up cost making them have to sacrifice power.  Not sure what MS is thinking but very few will buy a console over voice, snap, they are a waste of resources and should be add-ons not the focal point of the system, they are paying for it now. Bad decisions all around. KInd of like sony in 2006.

Neither one really went all out...

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

M$ is playing the "long term" game.