By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can anyone think of an IP that was made better AFTER it was sold?

With the recent sale of the Gears franchise to Microsoft, I got to thinking -- is there a precedent for a games franchise made BETTER after it was acquired by someone else?

I get the general impression that it really has never worked out.

A lot of platforming games come to mind:

-Crash Bandicoot

-Banjo Kazooie

-Spyro (May be the possible exception? People seem to like Skylanders an awful lot)

What do you think?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Not one comes to mind. The original quality seems to get lost once the original minds behind it move on.

Halo is another one. You could argue that Skylanders is bigger than ever. I haven't played the new Tomb Raider, but it doesn't seem to have the magic of the originals published by Eidos and developed by Core. But maybe that's just cause I like big digital boobs.

The Metroid series technically stayed at Nintendoc but Retro developed the games after Skamoto's team and the MP series is amazing

Can't be arsed to check and make sure, but I'm pretty sure that Prince of Persia wasn't originally a Ubisoft IP, but was purchased after the original developers kicked the bucket. So that's something.

Around the Network

Sounds sort of like this thread just exists to placate Sony fans who were hoping to have Gears on their platform.

yeeee........

Command & Conquer

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Korppi said:

Can't be arsed to check and make sure, but I'm pretty sure that Prince of Persia wasn't originally a Ubisoft IP, but was purchased after the original developers kicked the bucket. So that's something.

Yes Prince of Persia, starting with the Sands of Time is awesome!
I think that's when Ubi acquired it.

What about the Xeno series? I here that the newest installment on Wii was a masterpiece.

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Korppi said:

Yes Prince of Persia, starting with the Sands of Time is awesome!
I think that's when Ubi acquired it.

What about the Xeno series? I here that the newest installment on Wii was a masterpiece.

Xeno changed hands twice, and none of them came close to the original Xenogears.

EDIT: Actually, maybe it was only once?

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Are we talking literally sold, or just new developers taking over and making it better? Big IP's aren't typically sold.

But you could look at what Retro did with Metroid, Treyarch with CoD, Ubi Shanghai with Pandora Tomorrow (IIRC they developed it), 343i with Halo 4, Rockstar with Max Payne, or 2k with Bioshock for recent examples of other developers taking over big franchises and either producing equal/superior or at the very worst, just "great" results.