By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii ever pass ps2 sales

The lifespan of the Wii just isn't long enough. I'd say no.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
PDF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PDF said:
No. Will not attract enough of core gaming audience. Even with the wii new market it wont be abel to do it without the Madden and Halo3 type buyers.

Oh it'll get those too, for those it will be their second console, and also many of them have family members who will want it

I dissagree seeing how alot of the gaming audience no longer live with their family and are just starting to live on their own. I agree that many wii owners will buy another console but It wont nearly go the other way as much.

This a a big chunk gamers that the Wii would need to pass the ps2. The PS2 got most of the wii owners minus the new market the wii has goten. I dont think the new market for the Wii is bigger than this type of Gamer.

A 360 owner will be happy with just a 360. A wii owner may want a ps3 or 360.

Please explain to me what would make a Sports/FPS fan who owns 360 or PS3 want a Wii

Resident Evil 4 for the Wii is one of the best console FPSs I've ever played. And who wouldn't want any of the Mario sports games? I'm not sure if Nintendo has announced any mario sports games, but, if they do, I'm pretty sure people would get them. Remember Mario Tennis for N64? That game was amazing. But, as for this topic, I'm not sure. I still believe that what really contributed to the PS2 sales were it's top selling games. The GTA's. It reached out past the crowd of normal gamers, but, whatever. I don't wanna argue  about the Playstation 2. The Wii will definitely be here for awhile. This console has much more potential then the PS3 and the 360. I'm still suprised that the 360 is even selling due to it's constant hardware failures and how the games are always better on the PC. But, yeah. I dunno. The PS3 is going to be dulled down a lot, and maybe it'll begin to sell more, but, if they cut down on the processing speed, it'll just be another battle with graphics.  The Wii has the capability to do so much more and I hope Nintendo realizes that.

Its still foggy I say theres a chance of wii making it to 100million, though not too high above it, atleast for now that is.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

PDF said:
@tehsage - I lol at the list of games you present. RE4 may be a good shooter but it is hardly the type of game people who own CoD4 and Halo 3 are looking for. They are looking for online competitive FPS they can play with thier friends.

The Mario sport games hardly qualify for sports games. I hate it when I see them on list for years best sports games. People who think of Mario sports games as sports game do not understand the Madden type audience, which is huge. They are so different and no Madden loving Gamer is gonna buy a Mario sports game over it. Mario sports games are like party games with a Sport theme.

GTA was a game that appealed to a mass audience of all type of gamers.

I do not think you understand the type of gamer I am talking about. You have failed and presenting a reason for them to buy a Wii. Please try again.

How was Call of Duty 4 different from 3? Halo 3 was a piece of shit. There. I said it. Terrible game. Was nothing I expected it. Halo is and will always be "a video game for jocks". If you want to play online games, go play Half Life 2. Much better.

(By the way, Goldeneye 64 is still the best FPS in my opinion)

What the hell are you talking about for Madden. madden was the worst idea ever. GO PLAY THE GAME IN REAL LIFE IF YOU WANNA EXPERENCE REAL SPORTS. The thing that made Mario Sports games awesome is the fact it had something more to it. Mario Tennis for N64 owns whatever game the PS3 currently has for it. I'd rather play as a Boo then play as Venus Williams.

GTA was the reason video games are going through all this shit now. Terrible plot, terrible idea, just, a terrible game. Why anyone would play it is beyond me. The reason a 360 and PS3 owner will buy a Wii is to play a game other then a sport or FPS game. Every person I know who owns a PS3 had purchased a Wii before hand. I don't know why people would even bother to buy a 360 when the PC versions of all the games are much better. But, whatever. The Wii has more potential the any of the other consoles. Case Closed.

PDF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PDF said:
No. Will not attract enough of core gaming audience. Even with the wii new market it wont be abel to do it without the Madden and Halo3 type buyers.

Oh it'll get those too, for those it will be their second console, and also many of them have family members who will want it

I dissagree seeing how alot of the gaming audience no longer live with their family and are just starting to live on their own.  I agree that many wii owners will buy another console but It wont nearly go the other way as much. 

This a a big chunk gamers that the Wii would need to pass the ps2.  The PS2 got most of the wii owners minus the new market the wii has goten.  I dont think the new market for the Wii is bigger than this type of Gamer.

A 360 owner will be happy with just a 360.  A wii owner may want a ps3 or 360.

Please explain to me what would make a Sports/FPS fan who owns 360 or PS3 want a Wii.

Wii sports games for example, if you notice how fast its sales have been either you have to accept one of two things, either traditional gamers are buying as well, or Wii's new market is huge beyond what we have seen before

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
The lifespan of the Wii just isn't long enough. I'd say no.

Why isn't it long enough?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

PDF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PDF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PDF said:

I dissagree seeing how alot of the gaming audience no longer live with their family and are just starting to live on their own.  I agree that many wii owners will buy another console but It wont nearly go the other way as much. 

This a a big chunk gamers that the Wii would need to pass the ps2.  The PS2 got most of the wii owners minus the new market the wii has goten.  I dont think the new market for the Wii is bigger than this type of Gamer.

A 360 owner will be happy with just a 360.  A wii owner may want a ps3 or 360.

Please explain to me what would make a Sports/FPS fan who owns 360 or PS3 want a Wii.

Wii sports games for example, if you notice how fast its sales have been either you have to accept one of two things, either traditional gamers are buying as well, or Wii's new market is huge beyond what we have seen before

Wii sports are not bought by true sport gamers.  They are bought by the new market.  However Wiisports and Wiiplay sales can both be explained.  Simple,  they were bundled.  Wii sports came with the wii and was that fun party game that attacts the new audience to the wii.  Wii play comes with another controller, of course people would buy it because it also is another cheap part type game.

The only shot at the Wii passing the PS3 is buy having the new market larger than that core Sport/FPS market.  There is no real proof on either side to say it is smaller or larger.  I just think it is smaller imo.

What prrof do you have?  Its current sales rate shows that its probably larger, much larger, not to mention that while Wii Sports is a bundled game, for many it is a huge draw for the system in fact even in Japan, where its not bundled it still sells very well.

Playstation 2 consoles broke very easily. I know my friends had to buy at least two in their lifetime and only because we live in Irvine were they able to take the console to get fixed for free at the Sony plant (which is not in San Diego) or they would have had to buy more than the two.

Nintendo probably has a chance, but that chance is very, very small. I seem this console making it to one-hundred million units sold, but not much more than that. I think the system might have hit the prime too early... But who really knows?

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

PDF said:
@Avinash - I said there is no real proof on either side. I did acknowledge that wii sports was a title that drew many people to the wii.

If you want me to present the other side I will.

Lets take a look at the xbox. A system that has very dependent on the fps/sport gamer. You could figure that most xbox owners were that type of audience. So lets say about 15m of them were. Then you got all the ps2 users of that type of gamer. It is much harder to grab a # out of the PS2 since the ps2 had far more varied type of gamers. It would obviously not be less than the xbox. So lets say about 30m ps2 owners were that type of gamer. I believe far more were tho. So since thisabout the ps2 not the ps2+xbox you have about 30m gamers that are not going to buy the Wii.

The Wii will have to pick up atleast 30m new gamers.

Much more than 30 million people in the world who didn't play games last gen

Probably not, but anything is possible