By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Wii ever pass ps2 sales

Maybe. maybe not

Former Potential Customers who have switched to other consoles might come back or have fallen in love w. their current console and not come back

what i mean by "come back" is that they will buy a wii when the supply is high and the demand is low

so it really depends on those former potential customers of the wii

i think yes b.c of all the exclusive games and of course the big three or two

SSBB Mario Kart Wii and Maybe Wii Fit

Around the Network

Right now it's looking almost certain, but the worst case scenario where the Wii starts to lose steam and only reached 70-90M isn't still entirely impossible.

I brainstormed something like this a while back:

20%: Third parties never jump over, people start caring about HD, next Nintendo console launches soon. Lifetime sales 60-100M.

60%: Most third parties jump over, non-gamers get moderately interested and keep buying games, similar lifespan to the PS2. Lifetime sales 120-160M.

20%: Third parties completely abandon the other consoles, attraction of non-gamers works better than anyone ever expected, lifespan is incredibly long due to virtually nobody caring about graphics, John Lucas elected President of the Universe. Lifetime sales 200M+.

The first scenario is looking less and less likely by the day, but that's all I dare say at this point.

Sure if Wii suddenly drops off then its possible it won't, but historical trends say that its very unlikely

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

If PS2 would of died off by 2007: Yes
Now since PS2 are still in circlulation: No

The Wii could end up close to 200 million in the end, depending on how long Nintendo waits before releasing a new console.

Around the Network

I don't think any console this generation will pass PS2. First PS2, is still selling well. Second, this generation of consoles will end quicker then the previous generations.

The Wii needs more processing/graphics power, the 360 wants to drop the unreliable image, and PS3 will start to run into trouble if software makers have to install to the hard drive to get the performance they require. All three vendors have show stopper issues that will encourage them to move on past this generation quickly.

This generation started a lot of good ideas... Music/Video integration, stunning graphics, awesome motion controls, multi-player redefined, etc. The next generation will mature them and give us even more.

@NeoRatt, prove to me why Wii needs more processing power

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

no, not even close. I would say the wii falls short of 9 figures. (100,000,000) while the PS2 has 110,000,000+ sales and is growing, although growth is slow.

PDF said:
No. Will not attract enough of core gaming audience. Even with the wii new market it wont be abel to do it without the Madden and Halo3 type buyers.

Oh it'll get those too, for those it will be their second console, and also many of them have family members who will want it

coolestguyever said:
no, not even close. I would say the wii falls short of 9 figures. (100,000,000) while the PS2 has 110,000,000+ sales and is growing, although growth is slow.

Wii VS. DS VS. PS2

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=DS&reg2=All&cons3=PS2&reg3=All&weeks=80