By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Americans prefer Microsoft over Sony ??

Viltgance said:

Sony has been closing the gap over the recent years but North Americans seem to still prefer xbox one/360 over the competition.  Even after the terrible unveiling and the PR fiasco it's still neck and neck in North America.   I kinda scratch my head at this cause the rest of the world seems to still hold their grudge with Microsoft according to sales numbers.  Why is this?

The power of $ (advertising)

Around the Network

brain disorder? i mean they voted for bush 2 times, how can u not question every step they do?

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

prayformojo said:
kirby007 said:
actually the americans are the least brand loyal

This is true. The only thing we're loyal to are fads. If it's "cool", we're there with credit cards in hand.

For 12 years? Lol keep thinking that.

Ppl choose it because its a very good system. Always has been. There are a ton of ppl/posters who try to talk about it in a bad light but maybe that just made them go and get one. Especially after playing and not listening to certain fans who just wont come off of it.

American works with commercial. And most of them really don't do their research in the gaming world.
Also Xbox360 has had price advantage and a year advantage over the PS3. PS3 didn't become relevant in the states until they release the $300 PS3 Slim. By then it was too late, cause my friends, your friends, their friends will all buy what I have or what your friends have.
I didn't know about Last of Us until people kept talking about it on this site. And I don't remember ever seeing a commercial for this game.
Sony needs to know how to advertise here in the US. The only reason PS4 is actually ahead of Xbox One right now is because PS4 almost did everything right and Xbox One shoot themselves in the legs. And even after all that it is a statistical tie...
Side note:I have seen more Titanfall commercials then Infamous Second Son commercials.

TheSting said:
prayformojo said:
kirby007 said:

This is true. The only thing we're loyal to are fads. If it's "cool", we're there with credit cards in hand.

Ppl choose it because its a very good system. Always has been. There are a ton of ppl/posters who try to talk about it in a bad light but maybe that just made them go and get one. Especially after playing and not listening to certain fans who just wont come off of it.

He is talking about fads, what are you talking about?

Around the Network

The friend effect

Viltgance said:

Sony has been closing the gap over the recent years but North Americans seem to still prefer xbox one/360 over the competition.  Even after the terrible unveiling and the PR fiasco it's still neck and neck in North America.   I kinda scratch my head at this cause the rest of the world seems to still hold their grudge with Microsoft according to sales numbers.  Why is this?

The question is not very accurate. Yes, Xbox is relatively more popular in NA, but it doesn't mean that Americans (or Canadians) prefer MS to Sony. When you look at the Xbox vs PS2 numbers, PS2 sold A LOT MORE than Xbox. And when you look at the XB1 vs PS4 numbers, they are 50-50 right now although PS4 is severely supply constraint and nowhere to be found. So practically all PS4 available are sold out here.

The reasons why it may seem LIKE Americans prefer MS more, relative to the rest of the world are:

- America is MS's homeland. So when they launch their attacks, advertisements etc, they start here, with the biggest impact, which gradually declines further away from US.

- American people are very practical and price sensitive. X360 sold more than PS3 because it was cheaper, end of story.

- American people are highly interconnected. So the early comer, X360 gained a lot of early members who spread the word, and majority of the new adopters bought X360 because their friends had bought one.

- Microsoft speaks English, but sucks at any other language. In other words, they can transmit their message (or brainwashing in some sense) to English speaking countries, but not to non-English speaking ones. Just check out the number, they only do well in English speaking countries (maybe also a bit in Scandinavian Countries where people speak English really well)

- Microsoft understands the Western Culture, and ONLY the western culture. This is also why they only sell well in the Western Countries and practically zero chance in any other non-western one.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

in japan they also prefere sony or nintendo way over microsoft. guess the europeans have to decide who wins.

BHR-3 said:
halo
forza
gears
l4d
dead rising
alan wake
quantum break
maxpayne (originally xbox exclusive)

while the others focus on jrpgs and games catered to teenagers

also MS is an american company

Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, Resistance, Killzone, Infamous, Heavy Rain/Beyond, SOCOM, Last of Us are JRPGs and cater to teenagers?

gergroy said:
TheSting said:
prayformojo said:
kirby007 said:

He is talking about fads, what are you talking about?

I assumed he put the xbox in the fad category. The reason why ppl keep buying MS systems. I may have been mistaken