By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Quick question about Wii-U

I don't have a Wii-U, but thinking about getting one and I have a question about the Nintendo ID system and how it works with more than one user in the house. Is it akin to the 360 and PS3 where once you log in as someone else, the game just automatically uses different save files for games? For example, if I bought Pikmin, and someone else logged in that never played it, would they see no file and get to play their own game?

Around the Network

Well Ive only tried with Wind Waker HD but yes me and my sis have 3 save files each for different NNIDs like my PS3

Yes, the game saves tie to your personal NNID.

With the exception of I think one game (NSMBU Nintendoland)... if I remember correctly. I think that one still shares the three saves across all users. Likely because it was such an early game and they didn't get around to updating the Wii code on it.

But every other game I've owned keeps all of the saves separate. (see my sig for the games I own)

Yes, each user has their own save file. Some games have several save slots, in that case, each user has their own series of save slots (i.e. you won't see other users' saves from your own account).

Thanks guys!! That was my only concern because I want to get Pikmin and I heard something about not being able to have multiple save files.

Around the Network

Nintendo Land is another one that uses the same file for every profile. It's cool, Nintendo. It's not like my wife wanted to collect all the statues on her own or anything.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

The only problem is a couple of games I've noticed mind-bogglingly only have ONE save file per profile, namely Ducktales and Pikmin 3. Pikmin especially was facepalm worthy to do that, because 1 and 2 each have three save slots, and in fact having AT LEAST 3 save slots has been the norm for Nintendo games since Zelda on NES. Certainly for most games by the SNES era. Having only one save file slot and if you want to start a new game having to erase or transfer your old save file, is pretty damn stupid design.

Thankfully, I haven't noticed TOO many games that do this yet. Hopefully it does not somehow become a growing trend, because it makes no rational sense to limit a gamer like that.

I dread playing games only having one save slot because if that save becomes corrupted you're screwed lol. I prefer to stagger saves. I was near to the end of the first Tomb Raider on the PS1 many moons ago when it got corrupted...my PS1 nearly went through the bloomin window lol

snowdog said:
I dread playing games only having one save slot because if that save becomes corrupted you're screwed lol. I prefer to stagger saves. I was near to the end of the first Tomb Raider on the PS1 many moons ago when it got corrupted...my PS1 nearly went through the bloomin window lol

Same thing happened to me with the first RE on PS1. I was all the way to the final boss and the save got corrupted. Needless to say, that memory card never saw another day haha

Are you guys sure about Nintendo Land? I mean other people's Mii appear in my game and sometimes we work together but my daughter and I had to earn everything independently. I'll have to check when I get home.