By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spindoctor Aaron Greenberg: "Reporting Can Get Confusing, But We Did Sell 3.9"

I wonder if in the future Greenberg will just give in and say "If it makes you happy, YES, we SOLD 3.9M to retailers." just to end the bickering.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Man. Ok. Im going from this thread. Its pretty disgraceful stuff. The thread itself is flamebait and the stuff going on here is crazy. Cmon guys, this site does not have to go this low. Please cant everyone stop. Its just crazy.

Euphoria14 said:
I wonder if in the future Greenberg will just give in and say "If it makes you happy, YES, we SOLD 3.9M to retailers." just to end the bickering.

That's all I'm looking for. But that would defeat Aaron's intention.

ioi said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

You herd it here, Sony already lied to us now we have to roll over and accept it from any other company that wants to

It isn't a lie, it is a convention.

I run various businesses - one of which sells t-shirts. If we have a deal with a couple of local shops and they buy 1000 shirts off us to sell then we have sold 1000 t-shirts to them. In our financial reports those 1000 shirts get counted as sales and the money we get for them goes on to our profit for the year. It doesn't matter if that shop sells them all in a week, two years or decides to burn them all. It makes no difference to me - my customer is the shop and I sell units to the shop.

That is how a business works - nobody is trying to mislead anyone here or inflate their figures. Microsoft did sell 3.9m consoles in that period - they will have invoices for those sales and will have received the money for them.

This is another classic example of what I'm saying. I am explaining the situation to some of you guys, using facts and logic. My reasoning and what I am using to support it is water-tight and if you read and understand what I am saying you will see that I'm right. This isn't a matter of opinion or what you think is right or wrong, it is a matter of facts and what is right and wrong. It is just that some of you seem to be blinded and are refusing to listen and admit that you are wrong!

I think the confusion is from what it seemed like greenbergs intent was, when pressed on the sold/shipped, he never even atttempted to clarify on if it was consumer or retailers, knowing many simply don't undersatnd, but yes from a SOLD point of view you are right, it's all the same for MS.

ioi said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

You herd it here, Sony already lied to us now we have to roll over and accept it from any other company that wants to

I run various businesses - one of which sells t-shirts. If we have a deal with a couple of local shops and they buy 1000 shirts off us to sell then we have sold 1000 t-shirts to them. In our financial reports those 1000 shirts get counted as sales and the money we get for them goes on to our profit for the year. It doesn't matter if that shop sells them all in a week, two years or decides to burn them all. It makes no difference to me - my customer is the shop and I sell units to the shop.

That is how a business works - nobody is trying to mislead anyone here or inflate their figures. Microsoft did sell 3.9m consoles in that period - they will have invoices for those sales and will have received the money for them.

This is another classic example of what I'm saying. I am explaining the situation to some of you guys, using facts and logic. My reasoning and what I am using to support it is water-tight and if you read and understand what I am saying you will see that I'm right. This isn't a matter of opinion or what you think is right or wrong, it is a matter of facts and what is right and wrong. It is just that some of you seem to be blinded and are refusing to listen and admit that you are wrong!

I do understand what you are say yes the did sell that many I get it but you and I know the diff between sold through and sold he's using the term sold because most ppl see that as sold to customer. He could have as easily said yes we sold 3.9 to retail but he chose not to. That IMao is misleading

Around the Network
ioi said:
DonFerrari said:

You say you don't participate in the forums anymore, but you have a tab of Sony users that you think keep flaming MS... probably you have a tab for MS and Nintendo as well? Or they are more civilized and neutral?

No, I said that I have been busy with a lot of side projects lately (i.e over the last 18 months or so as most people know) but in the last couple of weeks I have been more active on here and have been noticing these things. There is no contradiction.

I have a list of users that are "misbehaving" regularly (both from my own observations and on our moderation tools where we can see how often people are banned etc). Most are "Sony" users but not all.

Don't play the "is it because I am..." card here - it is behaviour and not points of view / alegiances that I care about. If you have an opinion then please state it, but back it up, reason it through and listen if someone offers a counter point that is stronger than yours. This isn't aimed at you personally - you are far from the worst offender - just a general message to everyone.

If you see my last bans were for really silly things that were mostly harmless, and I will assume I were a lot vocal when Xbone got announced, and because of that I got target, I won't complain about that because I painted on me... and I never said I got banned because it's me, but please ask the mods to review the whole historic of the last month for the teor of the posts of myself, kowen, sales, etc... and you will see that my last 2 or 3 bans were for taken out of context text without any right t explain.

One was because I said a friend (ethomaz) was as ugly as a 720p Xbone game (which by some reason seems I offended Xbone since I got banned for going against Xbone, but were ok with a supposedely personal attack) the other because I said that a person that bought a Xbone hoping to sell for profit when most were thinking it would tank couldn't hope for a better outcome and other in a Joke thread I opened AGAINST Sony I got banned by joking X360 was a anchor and Xbone a broken ship (in response to a user that say it was dropping like a rock, he wasn't warned) . But that is past and I don't care. But please don't try to put that Sony fans are worst than MS fans and stay neutral at the same time, or put that your read of the subject is 100% true and any discussion otherwise is flaming.

I appologize if it seemed I was flaming Xbone, I'll say to anyone I don't have interest in buying it because don't see a 1st party that I have interest, but I'm not eager to see it failing (because I have friends that like it), but I sure hope it could sell around 30-50M so Sony can get a recovery and stay for PS5. But my intention in this thread as I said was to show that I don't agree with how Aaron have put his twitter, a PR guy knows the effect (or should know) of his public speech and being unable to answer in a more clear way isn't a good thing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ioi said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

I run various businesses - one of which sells t-shirts. If we have a deal with a couple of local shops and they buy 1000 shirts off us to sell then we have sold 1000 t-shirts to them. In our financial reports those 1000 shirts get counted as sales and the money we get for them goes on to our revenue / profit for the year. It doesn't matter if that shop sells them all in a week, two years or decides to burn them all or give them away. It makes no difference to me - my customer is the shop and I sell units to the shop. I have sold 1000 units even if 1000 consumers haven't yet bought them.

Agree.

I think the key message here is that, as you stated, it's a convention.  Companies always report sales to retail, primarity because it's much easy to track as that company.

I don't get why everyone is so worried.  If the PS4 is really in such high demand, retailers will keep ordering it while they will not keep ordering the X1 (assuming they are saturated with inventory).  Eventually, the "gap" will become larger and larger (assuming this paces continue). 

ioi said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

I run various businesses - one of which sells t-shirts. If we have a deal with a couple of local shops and they buy 1000 shirts off us to sell then we have sold 1000 t-shirts to them. In our financial reports those 1000 shirts get counted as sales and the money we get for them goes on to our revenue / profit for the year. It doesn't matter if that shop sells them all in a week, two years or decides to burn them all or give them away. It makes no difference to me - my customer is the shop and I sell units to the shop. I have sold 1000 units even if 1000 consumers haven't yet bought them.

Yet there is a difference... if you sell 1000 to retail and they sell 1000 you will sell again to them, if they have to do any of the other options you gave they wouldn't buy because of clear reasons... But you already have everybody accepting that 3.9M is a real and acceptable number (you can go to the beggining of the thread, I had agreed with other poster about the number even before you came in), the way to portray the number and pass the message is what we are discussing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ioi said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

That logic doesn't work with new consoles.  If you are selling the console at a loss then you do hope/expect those consoles you sold to retailers to make their way into the hands of the people that will be buying games and accessories.  That is why shipped v sold is a big difference.  Microsoft could sell 5M consoles to retailers, but none of those make their way into the hands of the gamers.  That isn't a number I would be happy to report on my quarterly summary.

Predicting that Second Son (PS4) will outsell Titanfall (XOne) in lifetime sales.  Click here for sales comparison thread.

g911turbo said:
ioi said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

Agree.

I think the key message here is that, as you stated, it's a convention.  Companies always report sales to retail, primarity because it's much easy to track as that company.

I don't get why everyone is so worried.  If the PS4 is really in such high demand, retailers will keep ordering it while they will not keep ordering the X1 (assuming they are saturated with inventory).  Eventually, the "gap" will become larger and larger (assuming this paces continue). 

This has nothing to do with PS4 why bring it up?