By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Lost Planet - 5GB Install

day 1: install game 1, play game 1

day 2: install game 2, play game 2

"..."

day 5: uninstall game 1, install game 5, play game 5

day 6: want to play game 1 one again, oh wait, uninstall one of 4 games to play game 1

etc etc.

To say "just buy an external HDD!" is like saying "don't like the console? then buy a PC!"

Most gamers are still "casual" gamers who don't want to need extra peripherals to play their games. People with the 20GB and 40GB (and if this keeps up, 60-120GB also) are not going to be happy with this development.

I guess Wii and 360 are the only next-gen consoles as Sony is just leaving the console market all together.

Around the Network
xstonexcold316x said:
wow you all use a lot of memory am i the only one who after im completely done with a game and a better one comes out ill delete it the old one? plus im not going to be playing 8 different games at the same time

You said it best.

Anyway, the only games I'm concerned about are HSG5 and GT5:P since those are both games you really don't "play through" Lost Planet and DMC4 are games that you play through. Once youre done playing it uninstall! But GT5:P you would need to keep on because that's a game you could be playing with 2 or 3 others at the same time.

5gigs really doesn't concern me either. I have a 55gig(Yes the PS3 automatically takes away 5gigs) with 40gigs left. I only used about 15 gigs already and I can easily delete about 5 witout being concerned.

what a bunch of babies! i am all for features that make a game run better. this gives the PS3 a leg UP and the XBox, its not a negative. I have a 20GB PS3 , download all kinds of demos, movies, and music but have yet to have any full HD problems. The stuff is deletable.

even better deal then was posted earlier
160GB HD $69 - thats barely more then a new game

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136071R

I almost think you'd have to have Gamer's ADD for this to be a real problem. Personally once I start a game I like to play all the way through it. After playing through one I can load the next, and once I beat that and get to a third I can delete the first one since I probably haven't played that in a while. I can understand where some people may be concerned....but I think they are overemphasizing it a little bit.

PooperScooper said:
xstonexcold316x said:
wow you all use a lot of memory am i the only one who after im completely done with a game and a better one comes out ill delete it the old one? plus im not going to be playing 8 different games at the same time

5gigs really doesn't concern me either. I have a 55gig(Yes the PS3 automatically takes away 5gigs) with 40gigs left. I only used about 15 gigs already and I can easily delete about 5 witout being concerned.

The PS3 doesn't take away those 5 GB.  The HDD has 60,000,000,000 bytes.  Manufacturers just advertise this as 60 GB.  They measure it as 1000 bytes=1 kb (etc.), while the PS3 reads it as 1024 bytes=1 kb.

Around the Network

@torillian
you seem to have forgotten that Lost planet has multiplayer.
what if one day you decided to play some multiplayer after a few months of beating the game. youd have to wait it install all over again .
To me this installation crap is starting to piss me off.
It was fine when only a few games have it, now this is just abusive.
Id buy a bigger HD if I could easily move all my files without having to download all of my stuff again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

this needs to stop it is not helping ps3

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Fuck all this apologetic bullshit "Well, you can spend 60 bucks just to buy a new harddrive!" I just spent 600 bucks on the god damn console! Apparently this isn't enough for me to use it as a media hub and play games without deleting them and waiting to re-install. Damned if I bought a 20 gig version!

Some of you were spouting this future proof bullshit too. "THe PS3 is future proof! You just need to buy more shit to keep it that way!". Thanks. I appreciate of the foresight of a future proof console that is going to REQUIRE a hard drive to play a few games, possibly within a year and a half of release.

Oddly, this anger isn't at Sony. They provided a method to make games run better on their system, as they should, and unfortunately, it seems to be that to make the games some companies are taking this route and using a lot of space. This should be curtailed and not allowed to be common. 200 megs? No problem. 2 gigs? Sure, that should be the max. 5 gig as the norm? Yeah, no. I'm still hoping this goes away, soon, and Sony steps in to talk with devs.

This anger is at the apologist comments going on for this. This is not the defence of Christ, this is the defence of some enormous bullshit in a console that shouldn't be stood for, but gee, oh, I only have to pay just a bit more for my premium console to play a few more games on it! This isn't "To play online" or "To have an enhanced experience". This is "To play more than 3 games". And that is pure, 100% bullshit and should not be tolerated, even if Sony is paying you money to put on a smiling face and give the PR "Well, an extra Harddrive is only 60 dollars!. Buy the 80 gig version!". The fact most of you aren't getting paid to shill this PR, well, smile! You're astonishing.

I think I'm cranky when I just wake up. I should probably edit this comment to remove my disdain for people and the swears, but oh well. Most people know I'm a dick anyway.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Seems Capcom have really liked the "install" thing .In fact the installs make the games run much faster without loadings etc but it is a bit annoying to have to install it at first .But its very easy to delete the install data later and you keep the savegames that are in different place so no problem with this .

this install problem is a pain for us ps3 users, it's an issue, but it doesn't spell any kind of danger.