By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumors about January Nintendo Direct

Maybe a Nintendo honcho should read this and do the right thing. Although this is almost certainly bull it does reflect on what Nintendo ought to do.

The way I see it Nintendo cannot afford to wait months until E3. They need to act NOW!! Make the next ND an E3 type program. It's going to take far more than MK8 to push the wii u. Big announcements now will show full support for the system (this will quell the doubters who think it's not worth the investment) and gather interest.

They seem to be waiting for the problem to sort itself out.

They have so many franchises to call on like StarFox, F Zero and Fatal Frame. Even if these games don't sell mega they would very likely make the money back and add to the library and that's what's lacking.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Japanese 3rd parties harldy work with Nintendo anymore, even on 3DS

Really? Namco is working on Smash Bros. Atlus on Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. Tecmo Koei on Hyrule Warriors. Sega has a third Sonic title set to be exclusive to a Nintendo system (or both systems) and published by Nintendo. Platinum Games made Wonderful 101 and is making Bayonetta 2. Dragon Quest remains exclusive to Nintendo systems in recent times. Monster Hunter seems to be going the same way (1).

The rumour suggests that there's going to be a lot more from the Japanese publishers. And it's believable for one simple reason: Sony delayed the PS4 in Japan in order to release earlier in most other regions. Add this to the relatively weak performance of Vita (compared to 3DS), and you have a picture of the Japanese publishers having shifted their support more to Nintendo over the last year or so (2), independent of Wii U sales figures. And with Nintendo doling out their big franchises to those publishers to create crossovers or regular entries, it's believable that part of that deal was that the respective third parties also make other games for Nintendo platforms.

(1) 

Your list contains numerous 1st party games. 3rd parties have zero risk in those projects and it's easy cash for them : it's no indication of support.

(2) Over the last year maybe, but for 2014 the publishers are mostly making PS3 and PSVita games. PS4 has nothing to do with that, Japanese developers traditionally jump later to the next generation, that's why you still have many PS3 projects in the works.

I declare war upon all anonymous sources!

well, to be fair, Prime and Fusion did launch at the same day :P

So has the creator of this thread made all of this up..? I can't find any of this on Gaf anywhere.

Around the Network

I could see that entire list being true, but there really isn't much on there that most people on here couldn't have said themselves.

- Nintendo has registered Pokken Fighters in Japan and Pokken Tournament in the U.S. Pokemon + Tekken = Pokken. Tekken Tag 2 and Soul Calibur V barely sold 1 million each. Namco's gotta make money too, and a Pokemon fighting game done right could easily sell 3 million, maybe even be a mega-hit.

- Metroid is one of the last franchises not to hit 3DS, and the 3DS lineup this year looks pretty thin already. Metroid Prime on Wii U, could be huge if they build the multiplayer up right, and draw in alot of the FPS fans, along with the Metroid die-hards.

- Reviving old Franchises? They have revived Punch-Out, Pilotwings, old-school style Zelda, and Luigi's Mansion in recent years. Starfox and F-Zero would be the obvious choices.

- Japanese Dev's jumping on? It's already happening. Square Enix has only made one Vita game which is the Final Fantasy X remake. Already have 6 on the 3DS. Tecmo is making Hyrule Warriors. Namco is helping on Smash Bros and Pokken Fighters (probably lol). Lots of smaller studios like Shien have gravitated towards Nintendo. Not to mention that X, Bayonneta, and Hyrule Warriors (Musou is massive in Japan), pretty much ensure that the Wii U in Japan will be a success in the long run.

- Zelda in 2014? Maybe. Maybe Not. We know they will show it this year, sometimes that means it will release soon, sometimes later. Nintendo has done both.

- Virtual Console price cuts? Most doubtful thing on here. The Virtual Console prices are not really the issue to be honest, its the release of garbage games for weeks on end that no one wants. Earthbound came out for $9.99 which is more expensive then the other SNES games, and has been the top selling virtual console game.

JoeTheBro said:
So fake.

Saying at least three old franchises will return gives it away. That's just too vague and too specific at the same time.

That's actually the one thing that makes me think it might be true (although I'm highly skeptical nonetheless).

A lot of fakers will either post highly generic statements that cannot be testable, or overly specific details that would get them into trouble if true. This "leak", if true, is vague enough to protect the leaker yet specific enough to be falsifiable (at least with regards to some of the "information"). Most of the "information" is not subject to significant interpretation, so it's not something which can be twisted by the "leaker" into fitting anything that actually happens. And while there are some points which are either obvious (miyamoto ip) or strongly rumoured (pokken), other points are plausible without being particularly likely. As a number of people have said, any one of these is possible on its own; it's the collection of them all that makes it sound fishy.

The only thing a little too vague, other than the completely untestable "Nintendo is going to drop some huge game changing suprises", is the fact that it refers to "old franchises" without establishing what is meant by "old". Does Geist count, for instance? Mischief Makers? Where does the line get drawn?

I could certainly see the return of three franchises - Murasame Castle, Ice Climbers, and either Earthbound, Wave Race, 1080, or F-Zero. None of these franchises appeared in the last generation (not counting VC). If it's Earthbound, then it would most certainly fit the "return of three old franchises". There are indications that Murasame Castle is being revived (NintendoLand, the VC game being rated by the Australian Classification Board), and Ice Climbers is the only NES game that got a GBA re-release that hasn't been continued since then.

So right now, I'm hoping it's a true leak, but expecting that it isn't. I don't see enough to reject it as certainly fake, but there's more than enough reason to be skeptical.

Connect the rumors, guys. Nintendo is supposedly going to discontinue the Wii U in the not too distant future. No duh they'd want to get all of their major IPs out before that would happen. Sheesh, common sense!

Aielyn said:
JoeTheBro said:
So fake.

Saying at least three old franchises will return gives it away. That's just too vague and too specific at the same time.

That's actually the one thing that makes me think it might be true (although I'm highly skeptical nonetheless).

A lot of fakers will either post highly generic statements that cannot be testable, or overly specific details that would get them into trouble if true. This "leak", if true, is vague enough to protect the leaker yet specific enough to be falsifiable (at least with regards to some of the "information"). Most of the "information" is not subject to significant interpretation, so it's not something which can be twisted by the "leaker" into fitting anything that actually happens. And while there are some points which are either obvious (miyamoto ip) or strongly rumoured (pokken), other points are plausible without being particularly likely. As a number of people have said, any one of these is possible on its own; it's the collection of them all that makes it sound fishy.

The only thing a little too vague, other than the completely untestable "Nintendo is going to drop some huge game changing suprises", is the fact that it refers to "old franchises" without establishing what is meant by "old". Does Geist count, for instance? Mischief Makers? Where does the line get drawn?

I could certainly see the return of three franchises - Murasame Castle, Ice Climbers, and either Earthbound, Wave Race, 1080, or F-Zero. None of these franchises appeared in the last generation (not counting VC). If it's Earthbound, then it would most certainly fit the "return of three old franchises". There are indications that Murasame Castle is being revived (NintendoLand, the VC game being rated by the Australian Classification Board), and Ice Climbers is the only NES game that got a GBA re-release that hasn't been continued since then.

So right now, I'm hoping it's a true leak, but expecting that it isn't. I don't see enough to reject it as certainly fake, but there's more than enough reason to be skeptical.

Murasame Castle.... This is one of the few long-dead NES classics that would be kinda neat to see revived.

snowdog said:
So has the creator of this thread made all of this up..? I can't find any of this on Gaf anywhere.

Anyone..?