By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who else thinks Sony needs to kill the PS3?

I seriously think the PS4's biggest enemy is it's little brother. As long as Sony allows the PS3 to survive it will continue to cut into PS4 sales. I know they are trying to ease the profit loss by allowing the PS3 to tread on but in the end the PS3 is restricting sales.

A solution to this would be allow the PS3 to go on for a tad longer, end of this fiscal year. After that cancel all production of the machine. Add Backward Compatability to the PS4, standard. Bite the bullet till the cost to produce the machine comes down again.

I just really think that the PS3 MUST DIE!!!

Who is with me?

Around the Network

I think they should move current projects to PS4/Vita like Ninty did with the Wii

No way. The purpose of a business is to produce profit, not to champion one product. Besides, if they kill the PS3, who is to say that those sales will automatically go to the PS4? They might go to the 360, the Wii, or even the Xbox One.

As long as the PS3 is significantly cheaper, it can fill a niche that the PS4 cannot. A PS3 purchase, especially coupled with PS+, also has a good chance of turning into a PS4 purchase down the road.

You just don't want the PS3 to overtake the Wii in sales. I got my eye on you, buddy.

Nope, two games from my favourite franchise have yet to release on the PS3 and I want the PS3 to still be relevant when they are released (Not to mention another game from another franchise I love won't be out for a while yet). PS4 is selling fine anyway, while PS3 sales are still holding up, so why would Sony want the money to stop flowing. I mean the PS4 isn't even backward compatible, and never will be (and, no, PSNow isn't a proper substitute yet).

Around the Network

The PS3 is not a threat to the ps4. Once the initial hype and early buyers dies out, the PS4 will start receiving serious exclusives starting this spring with Infamous and Drive Club, by the end of year there will be next gen exclusives like Witcher 3, The Devision, The Order and plenty more. The PS3 is already dying in North America and Japan anyways.

Ms and Ninty fans so ps3 end 3rd?

Ps4 have no extra stock to be moved if ps3 stop selling.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nope that would be a bad move for Sony as it's still selling well. Because of the release of the new gen, PS3 and their games have become cheaper.

A number of my friends has now purchased their first PS3 this past holiday. They had contemplated between getting a PS3 or Wii U; if there was no more PS3 then you'd know where my friends' purchases would've went to.

No way ps3 is here for many years to come. It may still be sold in 2020 in one form of another. Gradually as ps4 gains market share the ps3 will become less and less important until finally its only sold in developing countries where price point is critical. Thats years away. PS2 was only launched in Brazil in 2009 and is likely local assembly will continue for many years. PS3 will likely follow a similar route.

Also bloody hard to emulate fully which might help keep ps3 console sales going a little longer.

It has already been out for over 7 years. The sales will continue to decline "naturally" as people move on to the next generation. There's no reason to kill it now just for the sake of doing so. I think Sony already made it pretty clear that their first-party studios have all moved on. I remember reading somewhere that GT6 was the last first-party title releasing for the PS3. So they're not being bogged down in game development for the PS4 thanks to the PS3 and sales of the PS4 are cleary not being affected by PS3 sales in a way that would warrant Sony going into a panic and pulling the plug on their old console. Sony didn't kill the PS2 until 2013. Expect them to continue selling the PS3 into 2016 and possibly beyond.