By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft paying YouTubers for positive Xbox One coverage ( edited with more info )

Tagged games:

Xen said:
Wright said:

Tell it. I will protect you against any moderation. (as long as you don't resort to insults.)

You can't promise that.

I can.

Around the Network

Xen, you can do it!

D-Joe said:
LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:
LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:
Actually it doesn't matter
Do you guys know Sony gatekeeper?
They did that since 2006 but i never really care(fun to read it though)

Sure.  Go ahead a make a new thread on it.

Why i have to opened a thread talk about something happened and already get caught since...wait,actually since 2004 not 2006,i made a mistake,sorry

I never said you had to. But since you felt it was important enough to point out in light of recent events, it might make good discussion.  You brought it up.  Do not fault me for showing you a respect of interest.

When i said it's important?i think i said "it doesn't matter" since first line and "i never really care" in last line,check your eye please?

I never said you said it was important.  But still you did bring it up so it was at least important enough for you to do so. 

zumnupy10 said:

Legally MS has done anything wrong. But ethically, the act is very questionable.

My opinion applies to any company that decides to advertise like this.

Someone else who never read the article...............

LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:
LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:
LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:

Why i have to opened a thread talk about something happened and already get caught since...wait,actually since 2004 not 2006,i made a mistake,sorry

I never said you had to. But since you felt it was important enough to point out in light of recent events, it might make good discussion.  You brought it up.  Do not fault me for showing you a respect of interest.

When i said it's important?i think i said "it doesn't matter" since first line and "i never really care" in last line,check your eye please?

I never said you said it was important.  But still you did bring it up so it was at least important enough for you to do so

wat?

Around the Network
ioi said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Where ??? Who??? The article explains why it breaks FTC laws, never heard of others doing this......Either way if in fact others do it makes it right??? Two wrongs don't maker a right.

Let us be realistic here - this isn't stealing, murdering or committing fraud.

Personally I think the word "illegal" is a little OTT - it may be against FTC guidelines and could end up worst case with somebody being fined or more likely slapped on the wrists. It is such a widespread practice and such a grey area that nothing is ever going to happen in reality. Microsoft could argue that by tagging the videos with XB1M13 that they were pointing out that they were part of a promotion. Also they would argue that the confidentiality was in revealing the actual pricing details of the plan, not the existence of it. There are so many ways to squirm and move and so many grey areas that the whole thing is pointless.

If Top Gear (UK or USA) "reviews" a car - do you honestly believe that they haven't been paid in some way to do so? All of the issues we've had over the years with sites posting positive reviews and running massive ad takeovers at the same time (which is as common today as ever).

This happens everywhere, it just happens that someone decided to leak this and try to make a story of it.

I am a fact based guy, unless there is concrete evidence that there are many companies doing this, I won;t consider it. Also, like I said if in fact they are two wrongs dont make a right. Either way this being a gaming site it is easy to see why it got the reaction on gaming forums.

This type of unethical BS should be called out no matter who is doing it.

ioi said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Unless there is concrete evidence that there are many companies doing this, I won't consider it.

Won't consider what? I am telling you categorically that most big entertainment companies are doing exactly the same thing.

I'm not defending it or saying that two wrongs make a right. I can see the ethical issue here (although to be honest I think that you'd have to be pretty naive to not think that this is happening all around you) but from a legal point of view this is such a minor and disputable thing that nothing would ever come of it.

I think we all know nothing will come of it, don't see anyone debating that.

Why defend this:

"Because fanboys".

Not my words, but feel free to punish me in any case

D-Joe said:
LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:
LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:
LivingMetal said:
D-Joe said:

I never said you said it was important.  But still you did bring it up so it was at least important enough for you to do so

wat?

"Actually it doesn't matter
They did that since 2006 but i never really care(fun to read it though)"

This is what you brought up.  And you would not have if it wasn't important enough for you to do so.  I never said you said it was important.  Your actions in bring it up did.  Otherwise, there would be no need in mentioning it.

ioi said:
FlamingWeazel said:

I think we all know nothing will come of it, don't see anyone debating that.

Then using the word "illegal" to describe this situation is a bit like calling someone a murderer for squashing a spider with their slipper.

?? Technically it is illegal so I totally disagree. There are different levels of severity of illegal like anything else, from minor to serious. No one said it's the same as murder, not sure what you are even getting at.

If a cop pulls me over for speeding, and I say" But office everyone else is doing it" he would laugh at me. A wrong is still a wrong.