By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand'

freedquaker said:

To keep it short, I have never been a fan of KDE. To me, again subjectively, it's a bloated resource hog with an ugly menu system and a dated file manager. I only liked the mini KDE versions that come with those like Slax etc. I do respect those who like it though as this is entirely my subjective taste. KDE, in any form, is nothing like the super idiotic Metro Interface. KDE is functional, visual, customizable and it adheres to the principles of its fans.

Of Linux interfaces, I'm right now enjoying more Unity than the others, but that is basically because of extra screen space (something that Gnome 3 uses with that giant window decorations) and general simplicity. KDE is a different beast, I see it as trying to give the maximum of options at the same time, what leads to a nice customization but at some cost (cluttering mainly). 

About file managers, I see Nautilus as better than Dolphin, because it does more and in a more user-friendly way. But that can change since the Gnome team is doing some terrible decisions right now (removing the split panel mode, removing the typing navigation).

Around the Network
Figgycal said:
torok said:
Figgycal said:
If I didn't have a touchscreen laptop- I would hate Windows 8. It's so not made for regular laptops in mind.

Don't worry, it sucks on touchscreen laptops too. It just keeps throwing you from Metro to regular desktop, so you keep changing from touchpad to touchscreen. It is just a big usability mistake.

I do have a ttouchscreen is what I'm saying. I try to avoid metro, but having touchscreen be an option also makes it a lot more user firendly than if I had to just use a mouse.

It would fit nicely on a touch only device, like a tablet. Touch improves it on a regular laptop, but it can be annoying with some apps (specially browsers, were I have the impression that it choses randomly if he will open IE or Chrome in Metro or desktop mode).

I have installed 6 kinda heavy (work-related) programs on a W8 laptop computer and the performance went to shit in a matter of hours. Once you're on the desktop it is kinda faster but very very negligible effect.

torok said:
freedquaker said:

To keep it short, I have never been a fan of KDE. To me, again subjectively, it's a bloated resource hog with an ugly menu system and a dated file manager. I only liked the mini KDE versions that come with those like Slax etc. I do respect those who like it though as this is entirely my subjective taste. KDE, in any form, is nothing like the super idiotic Metro Interface. KDE is functional, visual, customizable and it adheres to the principles of its fans.

Of Linux interfaces, I'm right now enjoying more Unity than the others, but that is basically because of extra screen space (something that Gnome 3 uses with that giant window decorations) and general simplicity. KDE is a different beast, I see it as trying to give the maximum of options at the same time, what leads to a nice customization but at some cost (cluttering mainly). 

About file managers, I see Nautilus as better than Dolphin, because it does more and in a more user-friendly way. But that can change since the Gnome team is doing some terrible decisions right now (removing the split panel mode, removing the typing navigation).

I entirely agree with you except that I don't like Unity at all, ALTHOUGH I can see the appeal. My mom tends to like it (due to big icons on the left) as well as integrated search options, and I'd assume I'd also like it on a tablet. As long as I have OPTIONS regarding which interface to choose, I have no complaints.

Again Dolphin may be great if you grew up with it, but otherwise Nautilis is better for me. However, file managers altogether is a big reason why I am not primarily a Linux user. Ever since Amiga 1200, I have been using Directory Opus, and I just cannot live without it. Linux, unfortunately, doesn't have anything close to it.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

lt_dan_27 said:
Windows 8 really is better. People just hate change, and people have been pushing back a ton. If you learn how to use it, it's better.

Yet the ones that avoid vista for years had no problems in adopt win7. I really don't see where win 8 is better for pcs. Its semm really suitable for tablets, but for pc i dont see the appeal.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network
justiceiro said:
lt_dan_27 said:
Windows 8 really is better. People just hate change, and people have been pushing back a ton. If you learn how to use it, it's better.

Yet the ones that avoid vista for years had no problems in adopt win7. I really don't see where win 8 is better for pcs. Its semm really suitable for tablets, but for pc i dont see the appeal.

That's because win 7 is essentially the same. It just works better and looks prettier. Windows 8 is the first significant change in the UI. It's more that I don't care which one I'm using, and windows 8 works a little faster, so I'd rather use it. I don't have a problem with either is what I'm saying. 

I'm skipping win8.

Desktop shouldn't be forced to work like a tablet. That was just stupid.

selnor1983 said:
Pemalite said:
selnor1983 said:
Staying with Windows 8. Much better for my needs. It does everything 7 does and more. Why would I gimp myself.

No it doesn't do everything.

* Start button removed.
* Recent Documents removed.
* Unified Search removed, you now search catagorically.
* Gadgets are removed.
* Aero Glass is removed.
* Flip 3D is removed.
* Windows Classic and High-Contrast modes are removed. (Important for some of my clients who are vision impared.)
* Status Bar and Details pane in the Explorer shell removed.
* Some DUN options removed which are important to Dial-Up and users DSL users that may use PPPoE not to mention some forms of 2G/3G connections. (Needed some of this to dial into remote sites.)
* Network Map from Networking and Sharing is removed, I found it handy when dealing with a few dozen PC's at a LAN.
* Windows Defender no longer allows for scheduled scanning.
* DVD Maker was removed.
* Windows Media Center is removed. (It's now a seperate download.) And will not automatically start upon boot. (Important for HTPC's.)
* DVD and MPEG-2 codecs removed.

Don't get me started on the Ribbon interface for Explorer either, I didn't like it in office... I despise it in Explorer. :P

Windows 7 is still for me on my Desktops.
Windows 8 is absolutely fantastic on my Phone, the Metro GUI works incredibly well.
The Metro GUI is also really great on my Intel Atom tablet.

But try using Eyefinity and Metro. - Normally Metro shows allot of wasted space, white space or flat colour space, in Eyefinity that issue is compounded far more.

I do have high hopes for Windows 9 though, but some of the more critical and often used features in Windows 7 were removed for me in Windows 8, making Windows 8... A downgrade in every sense of the word.

I have a start menu on the new Windows 8.1. Alot of changes on 8.1.

Everything I use it for is better n 8 for me. I have a 28" all in one Desktop. Touchscreen. It blows my old Windows 7 PC away for speed and user functionality. I say I spend 70% of my time in Metro? I guess it does everything I need. All my desktop stuff when I need it, and amazing multitasking. I use Xbox Music across 3 devices for 1 cost, and use Xbox Video. So I have never used DVD, Bluray or any need for Codecs on my PC. I guess thats why Windows 8 trounces the performance of Windows 7 for me. Plus Project Spark!

Speed you say? Well. My PC is far from low-end, I have an SSD and I have one of the best consumer CPU's money can buy, I can assure you, Windows 7 is no slouch. - Heck I couldn't tell the difference between Windows 7 and 8 from a speed perspective on my Desktop. (It's a Core i7 3930K 6 cores/12 threads@4.8ghz, 32Gb of Ram, Samsung 840 Pro SSD.)

Where you do notice the difference is on systems with a mechanical drive and a slow CPU, for instance I noticed a dramatic increase in performance on my Dual-Core Intel Atom tablet with a crappy and slow 5400rpm HDD, you can't get much slower than that in the PC world.

As for Multi-tasking, you really can't beat Windows 7 in conjunction with Eyefinity. - On a "bad day" I may have a few dozen applications running at once doing work, pegging my Ram at 20Gb+ used, Metro makes that far to much of a chore.
However, I'm also a power user and not someone with simpler needs.

Xbox Music is pointless to me, I have over 20,000 songs in my collection that I have obtained over the past few decades (Legally!), I see no point in paying for a service that provides low quality audio.

DVD and other Codecs are important if you wish to transcode/encode video, saying it's not important is very silly as a small subset of users around the world find such functionality extremely important.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--