By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand'

Figgycal said:
If I didn't have a touchscreen laptop- I would hate Windows 8. It's so not made for regular laptops in mind.

Don't worry, it sucks on touchscreen laptops too. It just keeps throwing you from Metro to regular desktop, so you keep changing from touchpad to touchscreen. It is just a big usability mistake.

Around the Network
torok said:
Figgycal said:
If I didn't have a touchscreen laptop- I would hate Windows 8. It's so not made for regular laptops in mind.

Don't worry, it sucks on touchscreen laptops too. It just keeps throwing you from Metro to regular desktop, so you keep changing from touchpad to touchscreen. It is just a big usability mistake.

I do have a ttouchscreen is what I'm saying. I try to avoid metro, but having touchscreen be an option also makes it a lot more user firendly than if I had to just use a mouse.

I hate when people say just install the start button. Why is that even necessary? If everyone is doing it MS obviously fucked up removing it so saying just install it doesn't make it right that W8 came without it. Sorry pet peeve.

I really do think Windows 8 is better guys.. I use 8.1 at home.. and I am glad I made the change.. Some people just do not like change..unfortunately..

Praise the One.

To all the people claiming that the only reason "haters" don't like w8 is change, may I remind you that people had no problem switching to w7. They did have a problem with vista, because it was actually bad. But they switched from XP to 7 because it was actually better. Change has nothing to do with it. W8 is badly designed for the average user which makes it a bad product.
(it would have been fine if it was called 7.5 and was a niche option like Linux).

Around the Network
Trunkin said:

I'm curious. What is it that you dislike about the new KDE? I ask this because I made the switch from Gnome 3.x to the latest KDE just a few weeks ago. It took forever to get everything set up the way I like it, and the control center, or whatever it's called, could use some serious streamlining, but besides that I'm loving it. A true "desktop" UI, with tons of customization and features, and silky smooth performance.

To keep it short, I have never been a fan of KDE. To me, again subjectively, it's a bloated resource hog with an ugly menu system and a dated file manager. I only liked the mini KDE versions that come with those like Slax etc. I do respect those who like it though as this is entirely my subjective taste. KDE, in any form, is nothing like the super idiotic Metro Interface. KDE is functional, visual, customizable and it adheres to the principles of its fans.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Meanwhile in the back room Microsoft and HP are laughing at the free press this story is getting and counting the money from Windows 7 and Windows 8 PC sales.

Looks like I'm going with HP on my next lappy - unless my preferred brand makes a change soon.

Mystro-Sama said:
lt_dan_27 said:
Windows 8 really is better. People just hate change, and people have been pushing back a ton. If you learn how to use it, it's better.

You want to elaborate on that?

More efficient, faster, eetc. The UI is different, but I don't really prefer one over the other. If people don't want it, I guess give the consumers what they want, but the UI change isn't that big of a deal. Do we really want the same thing forever? 

8 is designed too central to touchscreens. Overall, I would say it is likely better than 7 but when you use it on a normal computer (Non touchscreen) it is insanely annoying...