By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: "The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles"

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has told The Wall Street Journal that the company has no intention of making its key titles available on tablets and smartphones over fears it will damage the brand and also impact on Nintendo 3DS sales.

“The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It’s not that simple,” President Satoru Iwata said at a news conference Friday. The key is to figure out a way to use smartphones to make people aware of Nintendo’s games, and encourage them to try out the console version of the games, Mr. Iwata said.

“It doesn’t mean that we should put Mario on smartphones,” he said.

In the meantime, it is worth noting that Nintendo is beefing up its research and development budget, and that Mr. Iwata promises to surprise game players in the future. While there are plenty of unknowns, Nintendo isn’t saying game over to consoles just yet.

mynintendonews.com

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network

Pretty much confirms what I thought, they aren't leaving the console/handheld business anytime soon. They are just going to use smartphones to advertise their hardware.

That's the right attitude, now we just need to see if they can back it up.

Life is great with a right mixture of smart devices and dumb consoles. Bring it, Iwata.

Finally a step in the right direction. Hopefully Nintendo can price their games appropriately, unlike this nonsense on the eshop. VC games are overpriced for the most part (Nes games should be $1.99 CAD not $4.99!!!!)

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

took him long enough to figure it out. better late than never

oniyide said:

Figure out what? They have been saying this seen last quarter. 

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

ninetailschris said:
oniyide said:

Figure out what? They have been saying this seen last quarter. 

wow thats long ago. Every other publisher out thier has SOME kind of presence on mobile platforms. Ninty still is in talking phase. It took them this long to figure out they cant avoid it.

pezus said:
Kind of a duplicate ;o
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=176481&page=1#

Ah sorry, you're post should have been in the Nintendo index though :P. 

Mods, lock this thread.

Isn't that the same thing he's been saying for god knows how long?

I don't see what's new about his statement.