By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo's new direction be bite-sized eShop games?

TomaTito said:

Yeah, smaller games to stop with the droughts and third party holes. And as time goes on and the eShop ecosystem grows, they  could even skip releasing retail games through shops and distribute the titles themselves. Could be better for the next system in which they return to cartridges and also offer the opportunity to ship games in SD cards.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I think it could and should be a big part of their future.

They should remake a bunch of classic titles with modern graphics and sound. Games like Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, Zelda and other oldies. They could be available for Wii U or for a new tablet they may be working on and sell for $5. They would be more fun than most stuff on mobiles as is, and could also make new, original titles in a similar style. These games should be mixed with several key AAA titles released per year.

Did you check out NES Remix? Although it's 15 dollars, it is in line with what you are saying.

I'm aware of it and it's sort of in line with what I'm saying.  But it's kind of a quirky take on a bunch of old games, but not really improved.  I'm thinking fresh graphics and sound over classic gameplay.

Around the Network

I see Nintendo making mobile games. Most likely the games wont feature Mario or their main franchises. I can see them wanting to keep them exclusive to their consoles. I expect they will develop cheap mobile games or buy a developer who already cater for the mobile game market. Cheap mini games on E shop would also be a fantastic idea for casual gamers to enjoy.

d21lewis said:
I could see it working. They should let Wario run the company.

Fuck man... I just noticed the joke... shit, I'm so slow sometimes z z Z!
Plus it's good 'cause it's true.

EDIT: Added a sentence to the OP saying, "create an intermediate entry level between mobile and retail games."

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Don't know about "bite size" but a renewed effort on strenthening the digital market with smaller games as they did with the 3DS eShop (Pushmo, Sakurai Samurai, Denpa Men etc) would help Nintendo out a great deal. Heck, at this point the Miiverse and eShop are probably the most salvageable things from the Wii U experiment and they should work to refine these aspects so that the next system can benefit.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Well maybe, they have been stating a lot that the they want to do something with mobile and they did buy a nice chunk of share on a mobilesk company before but I am not too sure... The only free-to-play game on the wiiU atm is Tank! Tank! Tank! and the rest goes from $2-$60...

With that being said, I do think Nintendo won't do this for a while, even as far as to not do this till their next gen console/handheld... I don't think they understand the android/apple way of doing things quite yet... I would even say that the Sony has more chance of doing something like this with the Vita than Nintendo if they aren't doing it already

Great Idea though

No they havent. They had 1 investors meeting where they said they were looking at that market, just looking.

Around the Network

To be honest I would like to see them reduce the price of all games across the board and start a new trend. I would buy a lot more games if they were 39.99. I know a lot of other people would too.

F2P Mario party, with all the old minigames available to buy for $1 each.
F2P Warioware, with all the old microgames available to buy for $1 in packs of 10.
F2P F-Zero, with all the old tracks available to buy for $ 1 each.
F2P Nintendogs with microtransactions.
F2P Endless Ocean with microtransactions.
F2P Mario Kart Classics, with all the old tracks available to buy for $ 1 each.
F2P Pilotwings, with all the old tracks available to buy for $ 1 each
F2P Wave Race, with all the old tracks available to buy for $ 1 each
F2P Advance Wars, with all the old tracks available to buy for $ 1 each.
F2P Mario Golf, with all the old tracks available to buy for $ 1 each.
F2P Brain Age with microtransactions.
F2P Wii music, with microtransactions.

A few of the casual franchises from the Wii and DS need to become F2P or else they are going to just die.
That aside, it may be better to build up the Wii u library with more bit sized games for impulse buy. they do need to get a better grasp on pricing as well. But they need to make sure they have blockbuster titles to actually get people to buy the system. So maybe, 6 full priced titles a year with at least 12 mid to bit sized titles for the Wii U.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842