By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2013 NPD Thread! - Everything is in the OP!

JWeinCom said:
carlos710 said:
Impressive that the Xbox is destroying the playstation brand despite the much higher price and less years in the market. The US is the biggest market in the world and seems like once again MS will easily take it.

Eh... it's not cause of demand, it's becaue there are products on shelves.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't give MS credit for having good logistics and manufacturing, but jumping to the conclusion that MS will easily take America based on this month is ummmm... well, stupid.

That and the PS4 is still ahead there, even if its only by ~100K.  That's not what I would call "destroying a brand."

Around the Network
carlos710 said:
Impressive that the Xbox is destroying the playstation brand despite the much higher price and less years in the market. The US is the biggest market in the world and seems like once again MS will easily take it.

Sigh. The PS4 was completely sold out in the US during December. If they had the supply to satisfy demand then they would have DESTROYED the XBO in the US. You can't say MS will "easily" take it when they have vastly overestimated demand while Sony is selling every PS4 they can ship. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

carlos710 said:

I don't even know what to say. Ok, lets all ive in a magical world where the ps4 has more demand than the xone in the US: I shall live in sonyland as well despite how irrational of a place it is.

What I said is wrong? Because PS4 sold more than Xbone in US... for now it is leading.

How can you use words like "destroying" or "take it" for a console that is loosing?

carlos710 said:

I don't even know what to say. Ok, lets all ive in a magical world where the ps4 has more demand than the xone in the US: I shall live in sonyland as well despite how irrational of a place it is.

irony. earlier in this thread you said how bad it was dealing with "these people" all the time... youre one of the worst

Soundwave said:
superhippy420 said:
Well here are my personal takeways December's NPD.

- The Wii U is far from dead. 500,000+ sold is higher then I thought Nintendo could sell without Mario Kart and Smash Bros. Donkey Kong, Wii Fit U, Bayonetta, X, and Hyrule Warriors, combined will boost sales, not to mention that Nintendo will no doubt have some big surprise reveals along the way.

- PS4 and Xbone are both selling great in the U.S., especially for at $399 and $499.

- The Vita is done in the US. We all figured sales would be low, but not sub-100k low. Those are Sega Saturn numbers. I have been saying for a while that a GTA on Vita could save it in the U.S. but with sales that low, I see zero chance that Rockstar would use valuable resources of their own just to save Sony's handheld. High Risk, Low Reward....Its just not going to happen.

- Nintendo's focus on 3DS software in the last 2 years has payed off big time. IMO selling as many 3DS consoles as they have is more impressive then the massive PS4/Xbone sales. They have had to deal with the smartphone and tablet markets, as well as a direct competitor in the Vita and will end up selling 75 - 90 million consoles in its lifetime.

- Overall Software numbers for Sony have to be discouraging. Thats where the 3 console makers really make their money, and for Sony's biggest franchise (Gran Turismo) to completely be ignored in the U.S. is bad news. The combination of Killzone and Knack on the PS4, has to be disappointing as well.

We don't have confirmation on Wii U numbers at all unless you have a different source from other people. 500k for a December is still relatively mediocre though. 

3DS sales being down year over year isn't really great either, but I suppose as they are facing an onslaught from the smartphone/tablet revolution it's the new solid. I doubt Nintendo is all that thrilled with that line of reasoning though. 

I called it before about Sony having really poor 1st/2nd party software sales for the second holiday season in a row. Microsoft did much better selling stuff like Forza and Rhyse. 

I don't have any official numbers other then it was its best month ever.  Maybe that means it is barely its best month ever at 473k or something, but I personally think it hit 500k.  The bundles were sold out at a lot of places during the holiday season, and reports from many areas of the country were that it was selling much better.    3DS may be down year over year, but the Vita is proving just how poorly it could have done if Nintendo really didnt push the software.   Sony is going to go broke at this rate.  Sell all the PS4's you want but if no one buys the 1st party software then they are in deep DEEP trouble. This reminds me of Sega back in the day to be honest.  They moved alot of consoles, but the games just didnt sell and it caught up with them after a while.

Around the Network
carlos710 said:
ethomaz said:
carlos710 said:

lol

In the real world PS4 owned US in 2013... how about destroying or take it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

http://www.zoolert.com/videoconsoles/playstation-4/trackers/

http://www.zoolert.com/videoconsoles/xbox-one-console/trackers/

I think for the time being, that's actually called reality. 

ethomaz said:

carlos710 said:

What I said is wrong? Because PS4 sold more than Xbone in US... for now it is leading.

How can you use words like "destroying" or "take it" for a console that is loosing?

Etho, can you ask cream for wiiU and ps4 numbers please? 

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

What's so uninviting about the Wii U? It works with every Wii accessorie and gives casuals a touchscreen/DS type controller as well. Everyone and their grandma already has Wiimotes sitting around the house so including it again is just redundant. 

The Wii U could come with any type of controller, there's no point in a person paying $200-$300 to play Just Dance when they can already play it on their existing Wii just fine. 

That's one of the problems with the casual audience is there's little/no incentive to upgrade hardware as the games they want to play, play just fine on the system they already own. 

It's no upgrade to the Wii. There is no better motion controller. It's Nintendo asking people to pay $300 for a new console, because some brats wanted to play Assassin's Creed on a Nintendo console.

Offer a better controller, launch with at least one game to demonstrate that controller. Show that you have more motion-controlled games in the pipeline. Make it the message that you need the new console, because that kind of precision and online features were not possible on the Wii. Naturally, Just Dance isn't going to sell that console, because it's going to be cross-gen. But that's what you have first party software for.

There is no lack of intent to buy new consoles among those consumers, there is a lack of incentive given by Nintendo. The Wii U is so incredibly boring by design that it might as well not exist.

Even if Nintendo made another system based around motion control ... why do I need that if all I want to do is play Just Dance?

$20 and I can play it on my Wii. 

That was always going to be a major, major problem for Nintendo. 

Casuals do not go running to new hardware just because its ... new or even an "upgrade". They're not interested in "upgrades", they simply want the simple fun waggle/waving/dancing/singing fun once in a while, and the Wii already gives them that. 

My sister is a Just Dance fanatic, I remember I was explaining to her the difference between Wii Motion Plus and the regular Wiimote and why WM+ is better, and I might as well have been speaking an alien language, all she wanted to know is whether or not she could play Just Dance. This audience doesn't care about upgrading. 

benji232 said:
ethomaz said:

carlos710 said:

Etho, can you ask cream for wiiU and ps4 numbers please? 

It's no use. He's trying to "build suspense" by saving the interesting stuff for last. I have no idea why. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Sugar.

Random ltd

Sonic LW ~ 82k
101 ~ 49k
Pikmin3 ~ 210k
Wario ~ 36k
MH3U ~ 93k
LEGO city ~ 242k

Rayman
WiiU ~ 88k
360 ~ 42k