By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One vs. PS4 spec difference is "fairly marginal" Microsoft says

These early multiplats are not going to be what shows the difference.
Neither are gimped games (ryse) that focus solely on visuals and nothing else.
Forza is definitely the best looking game so far, but racing games usually are since their palettes are fairly limited comparatively.

Around the Network
FlamingWeazel said:
sales2099 said:

Aside from frames per second and resolution....which by the way using launch games to judge a console is pretty silly. Try maybe 2014 multiplats when 3rd parties get the hang of things. The games otherwise looked and played identical.

You seriously are overplaying this, and its kinda funny.

You are seriously downplaying this, it's kind of funny. Where is this contractual agreement you mentioned?  As games get more demanding the better gpui advanateg of the Ps4 will only be more paramount, most launch titles were old gen ports......

There is a bigdiff when going up in resolution, unless you are blind.

It is no secret MS would want a multiplat game to release day 1 and with the same amount of content on disc (there is always exceptions). What I am saying is that graphically, there is a marginal difference, which is the point of the PR.The exclusives will do the graphical talking this gen, just like all gens before.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
sales2099 said:

Aside from frames per second and resolution....which by the way using launch games to judge a console is pretty silly. Try maybe 2014 multiplats when 3rd parties get the hang of things. The games otherwise looked and played identical.

You seriously are overplaying this, and its kinda funny.

You are seriously downplaying this, it's kind of funny. Where is this contractual agreement you mentioned?  As games get more demanding the better gpui advanateg of the Ps4 will only be more paramount, most launch titles were old gen ports......

There is a bigdiff when going up in resolution, unless you are blind.

It is no secret MS would want a multiplat game to release day 1 and with the same amount of content on disc (there is always exceptions). What I am saying is that graphically, there is a marginal difference, which is the point of the PR.The exclusives will do the graphical talking this gen, just like all gens before.

Then explain Assassins creed, cod and BF4 and rivals all noticeably looking betetr and having a much higher res on Ps4......BS, that was only indies, ms is not god they CANNOT enforce AAA devs to dumb down ps4 games for x1. It has not happened at launch it won;t at all.

Where is proof?

IT's pretty much true. We won't see a ps4 game blow a xbox one out of the water imo.

FlamingWeazel said:

Then explain Assassins creed, cod and BF4 and rivals all noticeably looking betetr and having a much higher res on Ps4......BS, that was only indies, ms is not god they CANNOT enforce AAA devs to dumb down ps4 games for x1. It has not happened at launch it won;t at all.

Where is proof?

Rivals has  the same resolution. 

It´s not noticible unless you look side-by-side and try to find the difference.That situation situation dosen´t apply to 99% of gamers.

http://n4g.com/news/1387472/need-for-speed-rivals-runs-at-1080p-30-fps-resolution-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-confirms-ea

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-rivals-face-off-preview

"Up close, there's no difference in assets between the two either. Textures appear just as sharp, rain effects, motion blur and destruction physics are each fully instated, while town and car detailing is like-for-like. You can judge this for yourself with our 30-strong Need for Speed: Rivals image gallery, taken from the tutorial section where day-night cycles and weather are uniquely synchronised. It's worth noting, however, that landscapes are still occasionally toned differently due to randomised cloud positions, which affects the lighting in spots."

Around the Network

Microsoft is the only one saying this at this point.

Of course if they say it it must be true.

Talk is cheap.

hudsoniscool said:
Well so far this gen the best looking games IMO goes ryse, then forza, than killzone so I don't care about the "power difference" yet. Maybe when naughty dog releases there game I will thou lol.

It's not about the best looking exclusive or artstyle. Because if you prefer realistic sharp Ryse Vs cartoonish Killzone well yes, Ryse is prettier and I would tend to agree with you.

It's about the most powerfull console which can only be seen with multiplats comparisons. And on those you can't be mistaken, PS4 > X1.

PS4 has resolution and/or framerate advantage on already those games:

Game: PS4 vs X1:

COD: 1080p vs 720p (both have very occasionnal framerate drops on MP, yes even X1 have framerate drops, see DF video)

BF4: 900p vs 720p (worse framerates)

AC4: 1080p vs 900p (worse AA)

NBA 2k14: 2xMSAA vs NoAA (Digital Foundry conveniently "forgot" to do a face-off on this game... but didn't forget the forced parity EA sports games of course...)

From what I just heard from a gamestop employee sony might have won this gen already. The crossplay feature for vita has been a forgotten topic. The gamestop employee said he owns ps4 and ps vita and the crossplay is great. Not only can you play from your ps vita crossplay the ps4 in your hom. He told me he personally plays ps4 games anywhere there is a sold wifi. Another words ps4 can basically be played on vita (any ps4 games on vita) as long as you have a solid wifi connection ( leaving ps4 in stand-by mode). This is incredible leap for sony and fans of gaming. You have a real portable device you can use as a controller and pause game unplug and then play when you want with a solid wifi connection. That's a huge game changer and probably will win sony this gen in my mind. Not in any era has a console been able to do what ps4 and vita can do. Its been a dream of mine for this to happen and im sure many gamers feel the same! To play my console games anywhere WOW!

Dark_Feanor said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Where is proof?

Rivals has  the same resolution. 

It´s not noticible unless you look side-by-side and try to find the difference.That situation situation dosen´t apply to 99% of gamers.

http://n4g.com/news/1387472/need-for-speed-rivals-runs-at-1080p-30-fps-resolution-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-confirms-ea

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-rivals-face-off-preview

"Up close, there's no difference in assets between the two either. Textures appear just as sharp, rain effects, motion blur and destruction physics are each fully instated, while town and car detailing is like-for-like. You can judge this for yourself with our 30-strong Need for Speed: Rivals image gallery, taken from the tutorial section where day-night cycles and weather are uniquely synchronised. It's worth noting, however, that landscapes are still occasionally toned differently due to randomised cloud positions, which affects the lighting in spots."

But Rivals has better Morphological AA on PS4. Digital foundry conveniently forgot to tells us that:

You can see there is some raw blur on X1 vs clean morphological AA (maybe similar to SMAA) on PS4. It's not just a motion blur difference on this pic, it's on all materials we have on this game. And PS4 has better Ambient Occlusing. But I agree this latter difference (AO) is hard to spot in-game. But it shows PS4 hardware has more grunt overall.

So even for this game, PS4 > X1, even if the difference is slight.

Lol. So they have finally admitted that PS4 is more powerful. How mighty cloud have fallen.