By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII may not get a 2008 release due to DQIX says Wada

Wada Debates Releasing FFXIII in 2008

In an interview with Nikkei Torendinetto, Yoichi Wada discussed the release date of Final Fantasy XIII. According to the translation he said he is unsure whether to release Final Fantasy XIII the same year as Dragon Quest IX, since both are high profile games and that might hurt business.

However, the fact Wada said Final Fantasy XIII might be released in 2008 does implies that it is possible to release the game this year, so maybe the game's development is further along than we have previously been told.

http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...80213/1007041/

The fact that this is even debated means that FFXIII is a lot further along than people seem to think.

Around the Network

I seriously doubt we'll get FFXIII in America before Holiday 09. Japan probably not until Spring 09.

They shold release it when its good and ready, and not a minute before. This is a game i look forward to on the ps3 and i hope it won't suck. This is a game that does not need to be rushed. When it comes out it will easiyl sell millions.

But that would be the best for the game. I really don't think the PS3 userbase at the moment is ready for it and the game will falter in sales should it be released any earlier.

Devil May Cry 4 has got the PS3 off to a good start this year software wise in Japan but the PS3 has got a lot of work to do before they show signs that they are ready for a release like FFXIII. I also expect the price of the PS3 to be a lot cheaper by the time it launches which will help people jump on board.

It does show clear signs though that the game is nearly completed and Square are holding off for business purposes.

Isn't DQIX on DS? How would this be any of a competition for FFXIII? or vice versa?

It's not like releasing a laptop when IPhone gets launched, Geez.

Whatever, I will get the game whenever it comes out anyway.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Maybe they should release FFXIII in the West while releasing DQ IX in Japan.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

kingofwale said:
Isn't DQIX on DS? How would this be any of a competition for FFXIII? or vice versa?

It's not like releasing a laptop when IPhone gets launched, Geez.

Whatever, I will get the game whenever it comes out anyway.

Look at the number of DS's in Japan.  I'd guess a large number of PS3 owners in Japan own a DS.  Though FF13 does have little chance of hurting DQ the opposite could theoretically be true.

DQ is also the bigger series in Japan as far as I know.

Though I think it's mostly just an excuse either do to development or to wait for the PS3's userbase to grow.

>Look at the number of DS's in Japan. I'd guess a large number of PS3 owners in Japan own a DS

I hope no idiot would go to the story and say "Oh, there's DQ and FF, but I only want to buy one of them". It's like Halo 3 and Bioshock, both games will sell well, people will buy both.

They need to just state a release date and get it over with.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I'm willing to bet that DQ9 will have an openingweek that's bigger than 3 million!

THE NETHERLANDS

kingofwale said:
>Look at the number of DS's in Japan. I'd guess a large number of PS3 owners in Japan own a DS

I hope no idiot would go to the story and say "Oh, there's DQ and FF, but I only want to buy one of them". It's like Halo 3 and Bioshock, both games will sell well, people will buy both.

They need to just state a release date and get it over with.

It's not like FF13 is going to disapear if they don't buy it right away.

The difference between DQ and FF from Halo 3 and Bioshock is that either game is going to have about 4-5 times the hours of gamelay in them than both Halo 3 and bioshock will combined.

RPGs are also games you generally have to play from beggining to end without much other games getting played if you want to fully enjoy the story.  Playing 2 RPGs at the same time can really mess with the story presentation. 

No doubt FF13 will still be purchased. However the purchase may not be as frontloaded if people are still plowing through DQ. People might wait to buy it. Maybe even wait till it gets a bit cheaper.

Which would hurt FF13's advance numbers. Which would hurt the franchise and in some ways their financials as it would downgrade the value of the Final Fantasy brand slightly which is one of Square Enix's most powerful advantages.