By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Aye or nay? Time to vote.

Nintendo fans, what say you?

Aye! 156 52.88%

Nay! 91 30.85%

Don't care / see results 48 16.27%

Total:295
MikeRox said:
justinian said:
Iwata seems a nice guy but this is business. Business has nothing to do with personal feelings.

There is no way anyone could have handled the wii u any worst than he did. The past is the past and no matter how glorious that past was his would be forever scarred by him being captain of the ship when it recorded it's first economic losses in living memory - if not ever.

Time for him to leave his post I would say but I do wish him all the very best when he (hopefully) goes.

You clearly missed the early to mid 90s...

I think he should get at least the next generation before he should be written off. He led Nintendo through their brightest period (when they were meant to be doomed) and it's still not set in stone how this generation is going to pan out. Not many people thought we'd be discussing the possibility of the 360 or PS3 catching up to the Wii in lifetime sales back in 2007.

All it takes is that one piece of software that resonates, and suddely you've got a monumental shift in fortunes.

Ist bolded: He also led them through their worst.

2nd bolded: That may, or may not happen.

The rest: No, I just was about ready for the mid 90s. The N64 was my then weapon of choice and yes, horrible decisions were made on the cartridge and the system's design but I think the wii u will be lucky to reach it's 33m mark set so long ago.

As for the wii, I was the one shouting loudest that the wii remote would be the killer peripheral that send it into the hemisphere.

But nothing can excuse the poor handling of the wii u,  more so it's marketing.

It seems like he never learned: Quoted from 2011:

"We also must reflect on the fact that we were not able to launch Nintendo 3DS at a time when a sufficient number of strong software titles were ready," said Iwata. 

Having learned its lesson, Nintendo is taking every necessary precaution to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to the Wii U

"In order to avoid the same thing from happening to the Wii U, we are considering details, such as what software is suitable for the launch and first year, more carefully than ever before," said Iwata.

Iwata also noted that one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes was not investing in the creation of certain games with third parties, but it is now willing to do so.

After wii u launch:

“We are to blame. We relaxed our [marketing] efforts, so the consumers today still cannot understand what’s so good and unique about the Wii U. We have been unsuccessful in coming up with one single software with which people can understand, ‘OK, this is really different.’ As long as people have hands-on [experience], they can appreciate the value of the Wii U, but because there’s not software that’s simple and obvious for people as ‘Wii Sports’ for the Wii, potential consumers do not feel like trying the Wii U.”

No one is perfect, I accept that. But after identifying the problems and still not resolving them is a big negative.

Around the Network
justinian said:
MikeRox said:
justinian said:
Iwata seems a nice guy but this is business. Business has nothing to do with personal feelings.

There is no way anyone could have handled the wii u any worst than he did. The past is the past and no matter how glorious that past was his would be forever scarred by him being captain of the ship when it recorded it's first economic losses in living memory - if not ever.

Time for him to leave his post I would say but I do wish him all the very best when he (hopefully) goes.

You clearly missed the early to mid 90s...

I think he should get at least the next generation before he should be written off. He led Nintendo through their brightest period (when they were meant to be doomed) and it's still not set in stone how this generation is going to pan out. Not many people thought we'd be discussing the possibility of the 360 or PS3 catching up to the Wii in lifetime sales back in 2007.

All it takes is that one piece of software that resonates, and suddely you've got a monumental shift in fortunes.

Ist bolded: He also led them through their worst.

Their "worst" is so meagre compared to the massive success of the Wii and DS that firing him within 1 bad year after 12 profitable years is incredibly short sighted.

justinian said:

The rest: No, I just was about ready for the mid 90s. The N64 was my then weapon of choice and yes, horrible decisions were made on the cartridge and the system's design but I think the wii u will be lucky to reach it's 33m mark set so long ago.

Wasn't really referring to Nintendo on this one. There was a plethora of gaming systems which had far far bigger disasters of decisions made (and some which you'd even question why they bothered at all).

The GX4000 is a great example of this. But also check out the later Atari systems (you'll see why they went bust). Amiga CD 32. Sega 32X. Tiger Game.com to name a few :)

They all make the Wii U look like it's been handled stunningly.

I do agree entirely with the whole  stating lessons learned in 2011, then repeated in 2012/13 on Wii U. I do think a lot of that was due to them throwing all their resources at the time at the 3DS. Though if they'd studied the difficulties experienced particularly by Japanese developers with the 360/PS3 transition to HD they should have been ready for that themselves.

However, as the Wii U came off the back of them throwing everything at the 3DS, I can forgive them this generation for that. It's more for me if they do the same next generation, they show that they have clearly learned nothing with planning.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

This guy needs to hit the road.

I think a lot of it depends on his next moves over the course of the year.

He should at least be around to bury the Wii U but if he had a big role in deciding the specs and mission statement of the Wii U then he shouldn't be allowed to do so with the next system.

Around the Network

Don´t know :/ I like him

These "we should fire Iwata/Reggie" threads need to go. Nintendo most certainly ruined what would otherwise have been a great year lead on the competition by not getting enough games out for Wii U in it's first year. But the games are coming full steam in 2014. And I find it really incredible that people forget the success of DS, Wii, and 3DS that Iwata and Reggie helped bring about, but at the first sign of trouble for Wii U people start crying "Fire 'Em!".

This isn't a sports team. This isn't the Eagles' fanbase, crying for the coach to be fired after one poor season. Iwata and Reggie (but especially Iwata) have done more than enough in the past to prove their worth. And they honestly haven't even had enough time to properly "right the ship" for Wii U as well. Meanwhile, 3DS has been kicking all sorts of ass for most of 2013, and will likely continue into 2014. Two of Wii U's biggest hitters are coming in the form of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. There's still a solid outside chance we see Zelda U by the end of the year. There's also a strong likelihood that several titles that haven't even been announced yet will pop up soon to round out what could be a really strong year, software-wise, for Wii U.

So perhaps people need to calm the hell down with this "Fire Iwata" garbage, and let the man do his job.

DevilRising said:
These "we should fire Iwata/Reggie" threads need to go. Nintendo most certainly ruined what would otherwise have been a great year lead on the competition by not getting enough games out for Wii U in it's first year. But the games are coming full steam in 2014. And I find it really incredible that people forget the success of DS, Wii, and 3DS that Iwata and Reggie helped bring about, but at the first sign of trouble for Wii U people start crying "Fire 'Em!".

This isn't a sports team. This isn't the Eagles' fanbase, crying for the coach to be fired after one poor season. Iwata and Reggie (but especially Iwata) have done more than enough in the past to prove their worth. And they honestly haven't even had enough time to properly "right the ship" for Wii U as well. Meanwhile, 3DS has been kicking all sorts of ass for most of 2013, and will likely continue into 2014. Two of Wii U's biggest hitters are coming in the form of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. There's still a solid outside chance we see Zelda U by the end of the year. There's also a strong likelihood that several titles that haven't even been announced yet will pop up soon to round out what could be a really strong year, software-wise, for Wii U.

So perhaps people need to calm the hell down with this "Fire Iwata" garbage, and let the man do his job.

It's not a "fire Iwata" thread. Just asking for people's opinion to see where the majority lies because I didn't have a clear picture before. It's clear to me now that a majority wants him to stay.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

His only blunder is the Wii U. Wii, DS, and 3DS are successes under his time as President of Nintendo.