By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - According to VGChartz Estimates, Xbox One will win December 2013 NPD for 8th Gen Home Consoles

Do you believe the X1 won?

Yes 44 28.39%

No 102 65.81%

results 9 5.81%

Total:155
ioi said:
"According to VGChartz, Xbox One will win December 2013 NPD for 8th Gen Home Consoles"

That is a factually incorrect statement I'm afraid.

Updated, is "Estimates" in there correct ?

Around the Network
ioi said:
jlmurph2 said:

Better but still not factually correct. I'm being a little pedantic of course, but given how close our estimates are for the two platforms I wouldn't say it is really clear which one actually "won" and even less clear which one NPD estimates will win given their own margins of error. Those margins of error increase dramatically by the way when you have items that are seeing erratic sales and sell-outs at different retailers.

Bottom line - I wouldn't be suprised if NPD showed a slightly higher estimate for PS4 than Xbox One.

The only thing I'd be using VGChartz estimates to try to assert is that PS4 and Xbox One should have sold roughly the same amount as each other in the USA in December at just under a million units each.

Makes sense, but doesn't the "over 3 million X1's sold" and "4.2 million PS4's sold" claims for 2013 give more of an accurate prediction for the Dec. NPD? Or is it still up in the air because of other countries' inclusion?

ioi said:
jlmurph2 said:

Better but still not factually correct. I'm being a little pedantic of course, but given how close our estimates are for the two platforms I wouldn't say it is really clear which one actually "won" and even less clear which one NPD estimates will win given their own margins of error. Those margins of error increase dramatically by the way when you have items that are seeing erratic sales and sell-outs at different retailers.

Bottom line - I wouldn't be suprised if NPD showed a slightly higher estimate for PS4 than Xbox One but I would deem it more likely that they show Xbox One ahead but maybe 60/40 so not particularly confident either way.

The only thing I'd be using VGChartz estimates to try to assert is that PS4 and Xbox One should have sold roughly the same amount as each other in the USA in December at just under a million units each.

what is slightly higher estimate limit in numbers?

If NPD says PS4  sold 100k more than XBO? will it still fall within margin of error that in actuality XBO won?

It's a testicular pie

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

It will be fun PS4 won December.

Around the Network

not much of a win i would call it more of a tie.

ethomaz said:

Can you link me to ethoChartz? A quick Google search doesnt give me anything.

Carl2291 said:
ethomaz said:

Can you link me to ethoChartz? A quick Google search doesnt give me anything.

Hummm? NPD is Jan 16th.

Difference in VGC numbers could be reversed for NPD and nobody could complain of error because of margin of error.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Maybe but it would be pretty close.