By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Zelda the most scrutinized franchise in the Industry?

I feel that Zelda is held to a higher standard than other games. For Instance Skyward Sword was seen as huge failure despite it's many strengths. It had great puzzles, graphics, and characters. Some of the best ever. Meanwhile games like Arkham City are universally acclaimed(I chose AC because it's the closest comparison I could think of.. Arkham City is a good game don't get me wrong. But it's mechanics and polish are no where near Skyward Sword.

So Is it just me? Do people expect more from Zelda then other AAA games?

Around the Network

No more than any of Valve's games.

I do think that Zelda has the most unpleasable fanbase of any particular franchise out there at the moment. I don't know if that's directly connected to "scrutiny", however.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Us Zelda fans have high standards, simple as that. V_V

The fighting mechanics in the Batman Arkham games are actually the best new gameplay I've played this gen.

So not a good example :p

Around the Network

Ya it comes down to the fans playing as kids and then wanting new things when they grow up.

Some want a more gritty Zelda (twilight princess will always be my favorite). Some want Nintendo to move in the 21st century and make characters actually talk, crowds like you see in assassins creed, and just things that should make the series move with the times and new technology.

Basically, everybody wants their own thing, and Nintendo cant begin to please everybody.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I am a Zelda fan but I seem to be on the minority in the fanbase. I actually like all the Zelda games! Every game in the franchise has it's strenght!

Except the CD-i ones... those really suck.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Final Fantasy is far more scrutinized than Zelda and any other series mentioned.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Doesn't hold a candle to Final Fantasy. People who don't even LIKE or PLAY RPGs will buy Final Fantasy, seemingly so they can compare it to older entries.

Same applies to any PS3 game.