By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Zelda the most scrutinized franchise in the Industry?

Skyward Sword was a great-game. It had flaws as a Zelda game but I felt that it was the game the Wii-U should have launched with... that said the near linear layout of environment and messy-overworld were a let down. Fix that and the game would have been perfect to me.

Around the Network

Its fanbase is among the most obnoxious, and it doesn't help when people who have never touched the series (or haven't touched it in over 15 years) lend their opinions to the debate.

"I think Zelda should be in first-person and have random dragon encounters." "Well I think Zelda should be set in a modern-day post-apocalyptic world." "I've never played Zelda and I never will until it has Uncharted-style graphics, full voice acting, cinematic platforming sequences, third-person shooting, and is literally an Uncharted game okay I'm gonna go play Uncharted let me know when Zelda is virtually indistinguishable from what I am currently playing and then maybe I'll consider trying it."

I've never actively disliked a Zelda game, so I'm content to sit back and let EAD3 do their thing.

*No disrespect intended toward Uncharted or its fans.

Of Nintendo franchises, yes.

Of all of gaming, no that would be Final Fantasy.

outlawauron said:
Mr Khan said:

Zelda remains a critical darling, certainly, but how much hate does Skyward Sword receive on this very site, both from the Nintendo community and from others (often for quite different reasons). The game gets savaged from multiple perspectives, and others do too. Similar to what Sales2099 said, too, except beyond the camps that feel that Zelda isn't "modern enough", whether in terms of trying something more open-world or embracing voice acting, there's a very vocal segment that feels Zelda is too modern already, and should more closely adhere to the formulas of the NES and SNES games.

Isn't that the purpose of Link between worlds? Appease the older fanbase so that there's less complaining when Zelda adopts some more modern game mechanics?

I'm playing devil's advocate, as i do not hold these views, but the idea in some circles is that the "3D" Zeldas shouldn't even be made, massive production values for not that much actual returns compared to 2D Sales potential (which is not to say that 2D sells better, but the cost/benefit ratio is more skewed in its favor)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
I do think that Zelda has the most unpleasable fanbase of any particular franchise out there at the moment. I don't know if that's directly connected to "scrutiny", however.

I want you to spend one week on any Sonic the Hedgehog forum. 

Around the Network

Do you know the so called 'Zelda Cycle'. Some people talks about it when every new Zelda comes out or is announced. First of all the people don't like it and years later the game becomes legendary! Iwata and Aonuma talked about it, too:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/wind-waker/0/1

"Iwata

Actually, if you look closely at the world of The Wind Waker, it has its own sense of reality that’s takes advantage of its anime-themed world. It’s so inventive with a lot of bright ideas packed in that you think “Wow! So much detail!” But I suppose I notice those things as president of Nintendo because I try to see its charms! (laughs)

Aonuma

Well, there’s a clear split with those who are reluctant even to try it.

Iwata

But I think that has changed recently.

Aonuma

There’s a “Zelda cycle.”

Iwata

Yes. Bill Trinen-san12 at Nintendo of America—who always plays a big role in preparing the overseas versions of The Legend of Zelda games—always talks about the Zelda cycle. 12. Bill Trinen: Product Marketing Director, Nintendo of America.

Aonuma

Basically, as time progresses, negative opinions about The Legend of Zelda turn into positive ones. At first, I wasn’t sure about that, but seeing the response to The Wind Waker HD, I think it may be right.

Iwata

And it isn’t restricted to The Wind Waker. Every time a new Zelda title comes out, there’s no shortage of negative opinions, but a year or two later, people are revising their opinions, and its reputation goes up.

Aonuma

The response of fans in North America was like that for The Wind Waker. When we first announced the original version in 2001, the majority of voices we heard were against it. However, the responses for the Nintendo Direct13 we aired in January were incredibly favorable. Also at the Nintendo Experience event at Best Buy14 which was held at the same time as this year’s E315, a lot of people lined up in front of the single demo station for The Wind Waker HD in each store, saying they really wanted to play it. 13. January Nintendo Direct: Refers to the Nintendo Direct video titled Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23. Information for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD was revealed here for the first time.

14. The Nintendo Experience events at Best Buy: During E3, events were held at 110 Best Buy locations throughout United States and Canada. Visitors were able to test-play new games still unreleased for the Wii U console such as The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Mario Kart 8.

15. E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo): A video game trade show usually held once a year in Los Angeles. In 2013, E3 was held for three days from June 11 to 13. In 2013, Nintendo ceased its customary press conference and focused on activities such as Nintendo Direct broadcasts in various regions and held a Software Showcase immediately before show.

Iwata

This might jinx things, but we weren’t able to expand the reach of the Nintendo GameCube hardware to the fullest, so even if people thought it looked good, a lot of them didn’t buy the hardware and decided to wait it out."

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

Ocilayton said:

I feel that Zelda is held to a higher standard than other games. For Instance Skyward Sword was seen as huge failure despite it's many strengths. It had great puzzles, graphics, and characters. Some of the best ever. Meanwhile games like Arkham City are universally acclaimed(I chose AC because it's the closest comparison I could think of.. Arkham City is a good game don't get me wrong. But it's mechanics and polish are no where near Skyward Sword.

So Is it just me? Do people expect more from Zelda then other AAA games?

Wrong. Twilight princess looked better than SS imo. SS was a huge downgrade from twilight princess. Puzzles were as easy as a hooker and the characters were romantic ewww. If you want to play a good zelda game play majoras mask. Batman is okay but boring.

Anfebious said:
I am a Zelda fan but I seem to be on the minority in the fanbase. I actually like all the Zelda games! Every game in the franchise has it's strenght!

Except the CD-i ones... those really suck.

This!

I do believe that a lot of people overlooked SS due to the motion controls.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

outlawauron said:

You wouldn't know it talking to Zelda fans. The ones I know who love the series have said Skyward Sword is either shit or they couldn't even finish it (I'm talking about you Zucas).

Just wait till the next iteration. Skyward Sword will then become the shit. Just like with Twilight Princess... and Wind Waker...

benji232 said:
Anfebious said:
I am a Zelda fan but I seem to be on the minority in the fanbase. I actually like all the Zelda games! Every game in the franchise has it's strenght!

Except the CD-i ones... those really suck.

This!

I do believe that a lot of people overlooked SS due to the motion controls.

Very true! That game gets ahte for doing motion controls right. I actually liked the improved sword handling.

Maybe it had some issues with it's slow start but it definitely gets better the more you play!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"