By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft wanted Splinter Cell: Blacklist to sell 5 million copies - only sold 2 million

I don't think that was realistic. It looks like a good game but I'm not sure if it has that many fans or mainstream appeal.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

Ubisoft please don't be as dumb as square enix is now

you know... when games need to sell 5 million to give their developer some profit, something wrong is really going on in this industry....
Didn´t people learn from Square Enix mistakes last year ?

Ah.. that's why the Ultimatum and 5th Cell edition are still on sale and actually down in price a lot..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Looked too generic for me.

Around the Network

Are these people insane? A game like that should aim at 2 millions at most. Are the crazy lunatics form EA, Capcom and Square Enix moved to Ubisoft?

After Double Agent, I stopped caring for Splinter Cell, honestly. Maybe the games are great, but I just don't feel it like Chaos Theory.

5 Million target sounds very much the reality, I'm afraid.

The THQ bankruptcy papers give us a glimpse on the cost of AAA development and how many copies games need to be profitable. This is some of the best info I've ever seen on what it costs to make games nowadays:

http://www.consulgamer.com/platforming/thqs-recovery-sales-targets-and-development-budget-timing/787/attachment/thq-sales-targets/

So the total cost of making some AAA games (including marketing, corporate overhead etc. I am sure):

Saint's Row 4: 123 Million
Homefront 2: c. 100 Million
Darksiders 2: c. 80 million

and so on... (fascinating read, btw) So if the SC:BL had a typical AAA budget, 4-5 million sales are indeed required to put the game in black. :(

This also shows how most of these games have not been profitable, btw -check their sales against these targets.

I don't worry about Ubi Toronto though: Ontario government has supported Ubisoft with hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars, so I don't think Ubi can easily pull the plug on that that Studio.

Soon in VGCNews:

"Ubisoft fires half of Ubisoft's Toronto staff, the next game to be developed by the studio will be Splinter Cell: iOS"

There was no excitement for this game. I've bought every Splinter Cell ever and I haven't had much interest in this game. I was gonna get it as part of a buy two get one free sale (heard the Wii U version used the pad in interesting ways) but I missed the sale. Sorry, Sam.