By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Dark Side of Gaming - WoW addiction causing broken marriages and lives

I blame Words of Wisdom.

Edit: Beaten.

Around the Network

wow, after reading that I aint interested in a MMORPG anymore

Good thing I don't get into WRPGs. :P

I wonder if in the distant future there comes a time when technology is able to literally put someone into a massively multiplayer gaming world (think something like The Matrix but with fantasy, sci-fi, etc, settings) if some people will become so addicted they'll prefer to spend most of their lives in such a game rather than the real world.

i swear it! ill never play MMORPG... never

Around the Network

yep, that is why we must control ourselves, even if we dont play MMORPG we must be carefull with videogames

Legend11 said:
I wonder if in the distant future there comes a time when technology is able to literally put someone into a massively multiplayer gaming world (think something like The Matrix but with fantasy, sci-fi, etc, settings) if some people will become so addicted they'll choose to prefer to spend most of their lives in such a game rather than the real world.

Well it would be a crazy world then....I am sure that some nerds will marry with someone in that game...

It's not WoW-specific, people. Everquest was called Evercrack before WoW was even being discussed. It's an MMO problem -- they're specifically made to be worlds that have no ending, provide a social environment in which to talk to people, and have a never ending catalog of goals and objectives for your character to complete.

That's the problem. You make any good game with those characteristics, and you will get the same result.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I played the game for a couple of days last year. I really dont see what everyone sees in it. A few of my co-workers played it religiously and i bought it cuase i love to game and wanted to see what the hell they were talking about at work all the time. It seemed so bland and boring. its like a chat room with some extra features like killing bad guys and getting equipment. it didnt seem like a game to me just a place to interact with other people.

I can see what the appeal is to people through the social aspects of the game. It just doesnt appeal to me.

The only answer to WoW addiction is to get off the horse. Many people can't see how a video game could ever be as addictive as those substances constantly abused, but for many it is.

It's real and it's ugly and like drugs the best way off is cold turkey followed by abstinence. It's the only way to be free from it.