By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the X1 ever be able to pass the Wii U?

I doubt it. The hype is strong on the WiiU.

Around the Network

There is one huge factor in wii u's favour that people are overlooking. The wii u is an incredibly cheap design with low manufacturing costs.

Nintendo have tried to sell the wii u at an inflated price and its struggled but ultimately the wii u will have lower manufacturing costs than a hard drive equipped ps3 or 360. The wii u is fully capable of being sold at a very low price.

There is hardly anything of value in the wii u component wise and they have not used functionality that requires licensing.

1. The chipset is on a 40/45nm process. GPU 40nm and cpu 45nm this is the same or worse than 360 and PS3. The xbox one and ps4 are on a much more expensive 28nm process.

2. There is no hard drive and only a small amount of low speed flash memory.

3. It requires far less power than 360 or PS3 and hence all power components are of lower spec and cheaper.

4. The gamepad screen is just a very low cost resistive screen probably only costing a few dollars.

5. The DDR memory chips are very low speed basic chips, below the memory bandwidth of 360 and PS3 (wii u uses embedded 32MB of memory to compensate for this).

6. Optical drives are not expensive now even higher density drives and there is no support for multiple layers on wii u.

7. They have no licensed royalties to pay. The wii u will not output dolby or dts 5.1 or 7.1 it just uses 5.1 lpcm. It does not have any bluray movie playback or media centre functionality requiring licensed codecs.

8. The radeon gpu is near entry level mobility spec with low licensing costs.

9. The gamepad is missing some functionality like analogue triggers and they use a very low spec battery pack that lasts only 4-5hrs.

10, Obviously the case etc is very basic, minimal size and the circuit board for both the console and gamepad is very low cost.

I'm just making the point Nintendo can price the wii u far more aggressively than ps4 and xbox one. Lets not forget the wii u on average performs lower than 360 and PS3 and the design is using very low cost technology of today. Nintendo have very cleverly used very low cost components in a way that maximises their performance.

Will people be predicting the xbox one will outsell the wii u if the wii u is priced at £99 or £129 etc, maybe $150 in the states. The wii u is fully capable of reaching a budget price point for next christmas that would be impossible for ps4 and xbox one without absolutely huge losses.

Clearly Nintendo loves to make huge profits on weak hardware but they have a card they can play if they have to.

Also the wii u is the only console which is an upgrade route. For current wii owners who basically only use their wii casually, fitness games etc. The wii u represents an upgrade path where they can still use all their old wii software. The pricing of the wii u console may not be right yet but of those 100 million wii users I think many will upgrade when the wii u console hits the right price.

The key thing is at the moment the wii u doesn't represent a fair performance level for its current pricing but that can change.

I think the ps4 is the almost definite winner of this generation but its harder to tell with xbox one vs wii u. I mean the ps4 can basically do anything the xbox one can do but better with the exception of kinect features which most people don't want. The xbox 360 was the king of multiformat gaming vs ps3 but this time around the ps4 beats xbox one considerably by a far higher margin.

Ultimately either could beat the other depending on console pricing, marketing and their exclusive games. Both companies have been poorly managed recently with a lot of poor decisions made. I'm still amazed at how low Nintendo set the wii u spec to the point where it struggles to match ps3 and 360 for multiformat games.

Yes

Really? You're using Japan as a reason it won't happen? Ugh this makes my head hurt.

No spurge, Japan will have nothing to do with anything deciding who wins between the 2. XB1 will outsell WiiU handily.

bonzobanana said:
There is one huge factor in wii u's favour that people are overlooking. The wii u is an incredibly cheap design with low manufacturing costs.

Nintendo have tried to sell the wii u at an inflated price and its struggled but ultimately the wii u will have lower manufacturing costs than a hard drive equipped ps3 or 360. The wii u is fully capable of being sold at a very low price.

There is hardly anything of value in the wii u component wise and they have not used functionality that requires licensing.

1. The chipset is on a 40/45nm process. GPU 40nm and cpu 45nm this is the same or worse than 360 and PS3. The xbox one and ps4 are on a much more expensive 28nm process.

2. There is no hard drive and only a small amount of low speed flash memory.

3. It requires far less power than 360 or PS3 and hence all power components are of lower spec and cheaper.

4. The gamepad screen is just a very low cost resistive screen probably only costing a few dollars.

5. The DDR memory chips are very low speed basic chips, below the memory bandwidth of 360 and PS3 (wii u uses embedded 32MB of memory to compensate for this).

6. Optical drives are not expensive now even higher density drives and there is no support for multiple layers on wii u.

7. They have no licensed royalties to pay. The wii u will not output dolby or dts 5.1 or 7.1 it just uses 5.1 lpcm. It does not have any bluray movie playback or media centre functionality requiring licensed codecs.

8. The radeon gpu is near entry level mobility spec with low licensing costs.

9. The gamepad is missing some functionality like analogue triggers and they use a very low spec battery pack that lasts only 4-5hrs.

10, Obviously the case etc is very basic, minimal size and the circuit board for both the console and gamepad is very low cost.

I'm just making the point Nintendo can price the wii u far more aggressively than ps4 and xbox one. Lets not forget the wii u on average performs lower than 360 and PS3 and the design is using very low cost technology of today. Nintendo have very cleverly used very low cost components in a way that maximises their performance.

Will people be predicting the xbox one will outsell the wii u if the wii u is priced at £99 or £129 etc, maybe $150 in the states. The wii u is fully capable of reaching a budget price point for next christmas that would be impossible for ps4 and xbox one without absolutely huge losses.

Clearly Nintendo loves to make huge profits on weak hardware but they have a card they can play if they have to.

Also the wii u is the only console which is an upgrade route. For current wii owners who basically only use their wii casually, fitness games etc. The wii u represents an upgrade path where they can still use all their old wii software. The pricing of the wii u console may not be right yet but of those 100 million wii users I think many will upgrade when the wii u console hits the right price.

The key thing is at the moment the wii u doesn't represent a fair performance level for its current pricing but that can change.

I think the ps4 is the almost definite winner of this generation but its harder to tell with xbox one vs wii u. I mean the ps4 can basically do anything the xbox one can do but better with the exception of kinect features which most people don't want. The xbox 360 was the king of multiformat gaming vs ps3 but this time around the ps4 beats xbox one considerably by a far higher margin.

Ultimately either could beat the other depending on console pricing, marketing and their exclusive games. Both companies have been poorly managed recently with a lot of poor decisions made. I'm still amazed at how low Nintendo set the wii u spec to the point where it struggles to match ps3 and 360 for multiformat games.

Wii U is sold at a loss at $299 they arent in any position to drastically reduce price

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

All the drones went and bought there Xbones and now there should be a huge decline in sales. All my local store are loaded with stock (x1's) and not selling well anymore.

Wii U>PS4>X1

No if you block the X1 section at your store with Wii Us. The future of Nintendo is in your hands, brave soldier...

Wii-u did so well in japan because it had no competition in the console area. Though even with that the x1 should outsell it.

I think XBone will be a huge failure in Europe now that Christmas is over and the people who wanted it bought it. Also it will have no impact in the ignored European countries. The only European country it will probably be able to see some success is the UK, BUT THE UK DOES NOT REPRESENT EUROPE

Japanese may prolong the time it takes, but I don't think that the XBO will have too much problems passing the Wii-u. I would say by the end of the year (last Qtr), early next at the latest.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!