By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Wii Fit U bombing really hard?

Tagged games:

The game hasn't released for retail in Japan yet, but somehow VGC has it as selling 30,000. I'm guessing that's people getting the fit meter? If I recall, buying the fit meter means you get to keep the free version permanently. Also, perhaps VGC is only counting actual physical retail copies bought, and not counting the fit meter. If that's the case, it's possible that very few people have bought the retail game because it's way, way cheaper to get the fit meter and download a free version. I for one haven't seen a Wii Fit U commercial, so it's also possible that no one knows the game exists. Regardless, it's definitely going to be tricky for VGC to track it. A lot of people are probably still using the free trial version, and a lot of people probably taking advantage of the free copy you can get with the fit meter. Sales might pick up a bit once the free versions are no longer available, which will be after January 31st.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
The game hasn't released for retail in Japan yet, but somehow VGC has it as selling 30,000. I'm guessing that's people getting the fit meter? If I recall, buying the fit meter means you get to keep the free version permanently. Also, perhaps VGC is only counting actual physical retail copies bought, and not counting the fit meter. If that's the case, it's possible that very few people have bought the retail game because it's way, way cheaper to get the fit meter and download a free version. I for one haven't seen a Wii Fit U commercial, so it's also possible that no one knows the game exists. Regardless, it's definitely going to be tricky for VGC to track it. A lot of people are probably still using the free trial version, and a lot of people probably taking advantage of the free copy you can get with the fit meter. Sales might pick up a bit once the free versions are no longer available, which will be after January 31st.

From what I have read on here, the way vgchartz tracks Japan sales is takes Media Create/Famitsu numbers and uses the average between the two. One of those tracks download codes while the other doesnt so thats how they have Wii Fit U numbers when its technically not released yet.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pretty much. The game will not reach 1 million in sales, unless it is bundled.  Based on other game sells it will probably be around the 150-250k range in sales. The Wii crowd is long gone and are not leaving there tablets anytime soon.

zorg1000 said:
From what I have read on here, the way vgchartz tracks Japan sales is takes Media Create/Famitsu numbers and uses the average between the two. One of those tracks download codes while the other doesnt so thats how they have Wii Fit U numbers when its technically not released yet.

Media Create had the last week's data for Pokemon X/Y at 212,666. Famitsu had it at 231,112. VGChartz has it at 220,257, while the average of MC and Famitsu is 221,889.

MC for Wii Party U is 23,972. Famitsu has it at 128,026. VGChartz has it at 131,670. Since all the Wii Party U bundles also contain NSMB U, and NSMB U only got 113,773 compared with 119,159 Wii U unit sales according to Famitsu, we can be fairly confident of 6000 or so Wii Us sold without Wii Party U. This suggests MC + Bundled in the vicinity of 127,000. VGChartz is higher than either.

In the previous week, CoD: Ghosts for PS3 was listed at 37.5k on MC, 37.8k on Famitsu, and 44.3k on VGChartz.

A couple of weeks before that, Dynasty Warriors 8 for PS3 was listed at 35.5k on MC, 36.6k on Famitsu, and 51.2k on VGChartz. Super Mario 3D World was also outside of the range created by MC and Famitsu (slightly above both).

So I doubt that VGChartz is using MC/Famitsu numbers and averaging. VGChartz does tend to be between MC and Famitsu, but I'm betting it's because they incorporate MC/Famitsu in addition to their own data - that would be the smart way to work, since it would utilise both their own data and other data to get a better picture.

Aielyn said:
zorg1000 said:

Media Create had the last week's data for Pokemon X/Y at 212,666. Famitsu had it at 231,112. VGChartz has it at 220,257, while the average of MC and Famitsu is 221,889.

MC for Wii Party U is 23,972. Famitsu has it at 128,026. VGChartz has it at 131,670. Since all the Wii Party U bundles also contain NSMB U, and NSMB U only got 113,773 compared with 119,159 Wii U unit sales according to Famitsu, we can be fairly confident of 6000 or so Wii Us sold without Wii Party U. This suggests MC + Bundled in the vicinity of 127,000. VGChartz is higher than either.

In the previous week, CoD: Ghosts for PS3 was listed at 37.5k on MC, 37.8k on Famitsu, and 44.3k on VGChartz.

A couple of weeks before that, Dynasty Warriors 8 for PS3 was listed at 35.5k on MC, 36.6k on Famitsu, and 51.2k on VGChartz. Super Mario 3D World was also outside of the range created by MC and Famitsu (slightly above both).

So I doubt that VGChartz is using MC/Famitsu numbers and averaging. VGChartz does tend to be between MC and Famitsu, but I'm betting it's because they incorporate MC/Famitsu in addition to their own data - that would be the smart way to work, since it would utilise both their own data and other data to get a better picture.

Thanks for the info, I wasnt sure thats just what a few people on here have said

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

The game isn't even out in most regions yet as a physical disc. Therefor it can't have "bombed" without first releasing everywhere. It's called logic.

Aielyn said:
Seece said:
My point on Nintendo having to take back WiiU stock from Europe is console warrior?? Er no. It's painting a very accurate picture of demand and how retailers would be approaching all things WiiU with caution.

Fact: Wii U is now selling in Europe (whether it's healthy level or not, remaining retailers aren't shipping consoles back any more). What happened more than three months is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT, except to console warriors.

Also note that the return shipments were from retailers that were ceasing sales of the Wii U entirely. This cannot explain the sales at retailers that still carry the system.

But all of that is besides the point. The Wii U stock movement is irrelevant to Wii Fit U sales. You brought it into the discussion for no other reason than because you want to invoke the console war arguments. Now, if you have nothing substantial to contribute to the discussion, kindly leave the discussion.

WiiU was selling in Europe all year just at low levels, and this holiday I'm sure it's been selling at lower than expected holiday levels. Besides, it's January a time when everything comes to a halt. If you can't see that European retailers being burnt by having to send WiiU stock back (like I said an industry first) being the cause for not a lot of stock for WiiU then again, your problem.

It's very valid to the discussion and I'll stick around and talk about it thanks, if you can't hack the the truth then don't bother replying to me. Calling people console warriors to discard their posts is sad and I'm not sure why you're not banned yet but you should be.

Seece said:
WiiU was selling in Europe all year just at low levels, and this holiday I'm sure it's been selling at lower than expected holiday levels. Besides, it's January a time when everything comes to a halt. If you can't see that European retailers being burnt by having to send WiiU stock back (like I said an industry first) being the cause for not a lot of stock for WiiU then again, your problem. 

You have no evidence that retailers that are continuing to stock Wii U are "burnt" in any way. And since we're talking about the retailers that are still stocking Wii U, your tangential comments about Wii U sales rates are completely irrelevant.

Not gonna lie, I hope the game does bomb/is bombing. :L

Einsam_Delphin said:
Not gonna lie, I hope the game does bomb/is bombing. :L

... why?