By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Michael Schumacher In critical condition following ski accident and brain surgery.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/former-f1-champion-schumacher-suffers-head-injury-in-ski-accident/article16120443/

Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher was in critical condition after undergoing brain surgery following a skiing accident in the French Alps on Sunday, doctors said.

The Grenoble University Hospital Center said the retired racing driver arrived at the clinic in a coma and underwent immediate surgery for a serious head trauma.

It was not clear whether the 44-year-old Schumacher was still in a coma but the hospital statement, which was signed by a neurosurgeon, an anesthesiologist and Marc Penaud, the hospital’s deputy director, said “he remains in a critical condition.”

Schumacher fell while skiing off-piste in Meribel earlier Sunday and hit his head on a rock, according to a statement from the resort. Resort managers said he had been wearing a helmet and was conscious when rescuers first responded to the scene.

Earlier in the day, the Meribel resort said Schumacher had been taken to Grenoble for tests and authorities said his life was not in danger.

But the situation began to appear more serious when the resort said that orthopedic and trauma surgeon Gerard Saillant had travelled from Paris to the hospital in Grenoble to examine Schumacher. German news agency dpa said it was Saillant who operated on Schumacher when he broke his leg during a crash at the Silverstone race course in 1999.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network

Damn it.

I hope he recovers.

Bad news indeed. Hoping he gets better.

All the best Michael and family

I hope he gets better. A great guy if you ask me.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Never was a fan during his F1 career, mostly because I disliked his cold and calculating pace, always been a supporter of the "hotblooded" racers, but as a F1 fan one must admit that he's going to go down in history as one of the sports best if not the best of all time.

Get well Schumi, this is one race that the entire world wants you to win!

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I hope he recovers from this.

I also hope he can recover completely from this.

But I also wonder, if he was wearing a helmet, how fast was he going?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

He always loved his ski holidays. I almost can't hear the news over that much irony.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JEMC said:
I also hope he can recover completely from this.

But I also wonder, if he was wearing a helmet, how fast was he going?

Depends on the track, his body position, air drag, etc., but the average speed in Alpine Skiing is somewhere between 65 - 100 kmh, even faster for a professional skiier. 

Even if he was at the slowest speed, a head-on colision into a rock is almost instant death if you're not wearing a helmet.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"