By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Michael Schumacher In critical condition following ski accident and brain surgery.

He suffered an acute subdural haemorrhage and cerebral contusions. He had a decompressive craniectomy/craniotomy (they nevr said at this stage) and is undergoing intracranial pressure monitoring and will be kept in a drug induced coma for the next few days. The contusions reach the maximum swelling on day 7 post accident and then settle. If he remains in coma for that many days he will most likely get a tracheostomy.

Long term cognitive recovery? Unpredictable but the road to recovery is 6-18 months if he survives

I hope I was there for him...

In Gods we trust. Dattebayo...

WiiU ID:         Aias23

Xbox360/XboxOne ID:  Aias23

3DS FC:         3737 9509 2938

Around the Network

Damn Schumi, always walking the risky paths you must...

He's a great guy and I was a fan of Schumi right at the start but I think most Germans liked him, too, and of course still do.

After hearing about his injuries I highly doubt this won't have consequences for his mind and/or ability to speak or move...

Best wishes for Corinna and his two children and Schumi, may you recover fast and survive this horrible trip!

lestatdark said:
JEMC said:
I also hope he can recover completely from this.

But I also wonder, if he was wearing a helmet, how fast was he going?

Depends on the track, his body position, air drag, etc., but the average speed in Alpine Skiing is somewhere between 65 - 100 kmh, even faster for a professional skiier. 

Even if he was at the slowest speed, a head-on colision into a rock is almost instant death if you're not wearing a helmet.

But he was going off-piste, I doubt he was able to go that fast.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
lestatdark said:
JEMC said:
I also hope he can recover completely from this.

But I also wonder, if he was wearing a helmet, how fast was he going?

Depends on the track, his body position, air drag, etc., but the average speed in Alpine Skiing is somewhere between 65 - 100 kmh, even faster for a professional skiier. 

Even if he was at the slowest speed, a head-on colision into a rock is almost instant death if you're not wearing a helmet.

But he was going off-piste, I doubt he was able to go that fast.

It depends on how the terrain was on the off-piste. Some tracks have much smoother edges than in the actual track to allow for an easier travelling for non-skiiers. 

From this video, the Meribél ski resort seems to have nice skiing terrain, even off-piste.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

^Ok, thanks.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
^Ok, thanks.

He was off-piste but also above the treeline.  This type of terrain can be very steep and include cliffs of sizes that can be hucked on not.  It is very easy to get to dangerous speeds very quickly and is considered above expert terrain.     Without knowing his exact location, snow conditions and his equipment its hard to get a good idea of what happend.  He could very well have been in a "no fall" zone.

Man this kinda shit always makes me think.  I ski all the time, Off-piste.   and while im sure it wasnt in harder spots then where he was, i have been at speeds and scenarios where in my head i said to myself, If i fall i am completely fucked.  And im sure my reflexs arent as fast as a legendary f1 driver.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz