By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't gamers diferentiate between their personal taste and quality.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
stlwtng4Dmdrxip said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I would argue the exact opposite, that a game is good precisely because one likes it, and is bad because one doesn't like it. What I don't understand is when someone says "it's a bad game, but I like it," or, conversely, "it's a great game but I don't like it." If you like it, it's good, at least to you. But you can't speak for anyone else anyway, so YOU are all that matters.

That's a very simplistic way of seeing things isn't it? Reality exists in spite of our opinions, and shoudn't payed reviewers be put on a higher standard than just some random guy on a gaming website?

Oops, didn't see this reply until just now.

What higher standard should game critics aspire to? Yes, they should have journalistic integrity, they should demonstrate consistency, and they should be well-informed and articulate. But beyond that, what can they do? Their ratings and reviews will always, always be tied to their own subjective opinion of what defines greatness. In that respect they are no different from the random guys on gaming websites. What makes them special is their proximity to the industry, their deep knowledge of video games, and their writing style -- at least in theory.

Apart from giving us the release date, the genre, and the specifics of each game, they are not responsible for reflecting reality. They're responsible for reflecting their own values and priorities in an artful, entertaining way.

So i guess a want more from them then. If they only exist to make me feel good about my purchase, then they shouldn't exist at all imo. By being paid i expect more from them.

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:
stlwtng4Dmdrxip said:
oldschoolfool said:
If you like the game,then you think it's a good game. How can one like a game and think it's bad. That's like me liking a talk show that I can't stand.

As a human being you're supposed to be able to have rational thoughts. To like a game and at the same time, being honest with yourself enough to see if that game is in fact anything special or just recycled material from years ago (COD: Ghost for ex).

you can consider everything recyled material,how does that make it bad,if your really into the game? 

Let me ask you this, how do you know fire burns, and that ice is cold? How do you know pluto is a ice dwarf, and that jupiter is a gas giant? How do you know a game is a fps and the other is a platformer?

oldschoolfool said:
stlwtng4Dmdrxip said:
oldschoolfool said:
If you like the game,then you think it's a good game. How can one like a game and think it's bad. That's like me liking a talk show that I can't stand.

As a human being you're supposed to be able to have rational thoughts. To like a game and at the same time, being honest with yourself enough to see if that game is in fact anything special or just recycled material from years ago (COD: Ghost for ex).

you can consider everything recyled material,how does that make it bad,if your really into the game? 

Depends tho, I love Sonic the Hedgehog  games from the megadrive, if I downloaded an App from ios which was a clone of the game called running blue hedgehog I would probably enjoy playing it if it was an exact clone, Would I rate it highly as a game? no, of course not it is a clone and the person who put it out there is hoping for downloads based on the copied material.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive