By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - After anti-gay and Racist remarks, should Duck Dynasty be cancelled?

Ssenkahdavic said:

I think people are going a bit overboard on this one (both sides).

No one is taking away his rights of free speech. He is not going to be jailed, or shut up. The network is exercising their rights to not let him back on the show for now.

The offended community knows his views. It is well known what the family believes. This should not come as a shock, not cause a "crusade" against Duck Dynasty.

If anything Id blame A&E for this one. Did they really think sending him to THAT magazine was a good idea? Why was someone from the marketing/production team not there to make sure this type of shit didnt happen? It is no surprise he answered the question that was asked of him (regardless of what you think on gay rights, he went a bit overboard in his answer)

It almost sounds like the family might cut the cord before A&E does.  I still dont know whats racist about his remarks. 

the show's made them alot more money,but it's not like they need the show. lol

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

I think people are going a bit overboard on this one (both sides).

No one is taking away his rights of free speech. He is not going to be jailed, or shut up. The network is exercising their rights to not let him back on the show for now.

The offended community knows his views. It is well known what the family believes. This should not come as a shock, not cause a "crusade" against Duck Dynasty.

If anything Id blame A&E for this one. Did they really think sending him to THAT magazine was a good idea? Why was someone from the marketing/production team not there to make sure this type of shit didnt happen? It is no surprise he answered the question that was asked of him (regardless of what you think on gay rights, he went a bit overboard in his answer)

It almost sounds like the family might cut the cord before A&E does.  I still dont know whats racist about his remarks. 

the show's made them alot more money,but it's not like they need the show. lol

Agreed.  At this point I would say the Show doesnt need A&E either. 

Maybe they should part ways completely, and let the show try to find another home.  Probably very complicated, as I have no idea what type of contract they have with each other.  Could be messy.

NightDragon83 said:
What exactly was "racist" about the comment he made about gays? Are gays now classified as a separate race or something? He was asked his opinion on homosexuality, and he gave it. It's not like he used the show to launch into an anti-gay rant and force his beliefs onto other people. The fact that this guy was dropped in 2 seconds flat while countless media personalities have said far worse about conservatives / Christians / Republicans etc and still kept their jobs without so much as a peep is pretty telling about what's really going on here...

A&E thought they had yet another cute little "reality show" on their hands along the lines of Honey Boo Boo starring white trash rednecks that people could snicker at, and what they got was a show that people tuned into by the millions because they *gasp* actually like the stars and their values! So now A&E has a conundrum... they've got this ratings machine that unfortunately (for them) features the things the media and entertainment industry hates the most.... bible-thumping, gun loving right-wingers, and it's obviously ruffled some feathers in the industry. So the first chance they got to put down the show they did, and now it's come back to bite them in the ass.

The raacially questionable remarks were a separate commentary from the Gay/Bestiality slippery slope point he was making.  That's probably where you're getting confused.  Remarks made by any individual on any network is subject to the rules of that network.  That you've seen it allowed in some places and not others, is only indicative of the values of that network/organization.  And what exactly has any personality said regarding Christians, Conservatives or Republicans, that's as bad as suggesting that their sexual preference will eventually lead to bestiality?  I haven't seen anyone suggest that Christian's are pro-bestiality, since their rapist priests prey on little boys...I mean, that would be about as bad.

Fuck a&e I will never watch that freedom taking immoral channel ever again!

Aielyn said:
Fusioncode said:
Has that happened? Where are these massive boycotts that are going to destroy any company that advertises on A&E? There has been no evidence that anything like this is going to happen. More people seem to be upset over Phil Robertson being fired than they are over his racist remarks. 

Duck Dynasty is made by A&E, which is owned by A+E Networks, which is half-owned by Disney and half-owned by the Hearst Corporation. Neither of these two corporations would want racists associated with their companies, as a boycott would almost surely result, and these two companies would be devastated by such boycotts. If the management of A&E didn't fire the guy, the management of A+E Networks would have had to fire both the guy and the management of A&E if they didn't, themselves, want to be fired by Disney and Hearst management.

It really is a fairly clear chain of reasoning. I'm not sure which part is tripping you up.

Sorry, I had to do it.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

Can't see anything that he said being even close to being offesive. I actually find it very politically correct and see this whole thing only as another episode of the gay terror that is hauting the West and spreading like wildfire. Some month ago there was this case in Poland. Parents of 3 kids decided they don't want their children to participate in an "equality program" in their kindergarten in which they were "educating" boys that they can wear dresses, etc. In return the children got expelled from the public kindergarten!!

That's just fucked up. Tolerance meaning treating everyone equal - cool. Stuff like this? No way!

I don't want to live in a world in which you get fired for saying anything that's not praising homosexualism and homosexuals, especially if it's something like what he said. Yeah, for the Church homosexualism is a sin. Everyone who's religious will tell you that. According to this religion, if you don't truely repent for the sin of homosexualism, you're gonna fry in hell alongside other sinners. #dealwithit. Firing someone for reminding you this or doing things like the kindergarten thing in Poland is pure terror and brainwashing that I will never approve of.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Can't see anything that he said being even close to being offesive. I actually find it very politically correct and see this whole thing only as another episode of the gay terror that is hauting the West and spreading like wildfire. Some month ago there was this case in Poland. Parents of 3 kids decided they don't want their children to participate in an "equality program" in their kindergarten in which they were "educating" boys that they can wear dresses, etc. In return the children got expelled from the public kindergarten!!

That's just fucked up. Tolerance meaning treating everyone equal - cool. Stuff like this? No way!

I don't want to live in a world in which you get fired for saying anything that's not praising homosexualism and homosexuals, especially if it's something like what he said. Yeah, for the Church homosexualism is a sin. Everyone who's religious will tell you that. According to this religion, if you don't truely repent for the sin of homosexualism, you're gonna fry in hell alongside other sinners. #dealwithit. Firing someone for reminding you this or doing things like the kindergarten thing in Poland is pure terror and brainwashing that I will never approve of.

I guess you're missing the whole difference between praising homosexuality and not insinuating that homosexuality will eventually lead to bestiality.  There's a huge area in between those two points, to explore which doesn't have to include insulting or praising lifestyles.  And, if you object to being fired for not towing the company line, I would suggest starting your own business and setting your own rules.  Until then, it's their money and they can do what they want with it.

As far as the Poland issue, I can find no article on it so I can't comment without reading further on the subject.

It should not because of the remarks. It will because of the advertisers pulling out because they dont want to be associated with a racist homophobe. I dont know maybe chick filet can keep them afloat.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

A&E will hurt no matter what they do. The prime viewing audience is steaming mad for doing what they did, Duck Dynasty is currently the network's bread and butter, so they can't cancel it, but doubtlessly Robertson's presence will diminish the show's appeal (beyond mere political purposes. Say he had left over a simple contract dispute or something), but groups like GLAAD would put intense pressure on A&E and the show's advertisers if they did nothing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

No. His personal beliefs have nothing to do with the show and shouldn't. If you take offense to what was said, stop watching. Don't give him attention. If enough people care, this problem will resolve itself.

I think Eminem's a douche bag. Doesn't stop from enjoying his music. I know SONY, Nintendo and Microsoft are just after my money and couldn't give a damn about me. Doesn't stop my from enjoying my games. People on the internet care too much about PR.

4 ≈ One